Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choi Lei Fat's Secret Weapon

Blog Entries
    In my book, the Chop Choy can be any hand be it lead or reverse. I don't believe its just a reverse hand strike.

Like mr darkie mentioned there's the stabbing motion of the strike. so, IMHO, the chop can be used in the same manner as the jab it should just be mixed with something else as well.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Gorman was a pikey. Of course pro boxers aren't going to fight him. lol

not taking away from his skills, but I think it's silly to imply Ali or Shaw were afraid to cross hands with the dude, they simply knew that he wasn't ranked and there was no way that he would get to fight either of them without making his way up through the legit ranks first.

just sayin...
    By definition he was a tinker, but meh!

Ali met with him, but refused him a sparring session or a fight in the lanes (that one I can understand)

Shaw was never ranked either - he never held a boxing licence as far as I am aware. always propogated unlicensed boxing. And cobbles matches too. refused to face Gorman in a knuckles match as the story goes.

Incidently, to be known as the best bare knuckle fighter in the country it would have been Shaw rising through the ranks (as he did) to fight Gorman. Not the other way round
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

I use a regular fist and make contact with the middle knuckle joints in the same fashion, the only difference being they are not "extended" as in the pic above.
    Sounds almost like your talking about a Lama fist and a Kahp choi!?

Quote Originally Posted by darkie1973 View Post
    Also could be Baji style stamping fist.

They call it a "bear fist" right?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

gu(r)ng gee kuen-
    wing chun's equivalent using wing chun structure, motion and skills- not so secret- key is knowing how to use it. when and how.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    In my book, the Chop Choy can be any hand be it lead or reverse. I don't believe its just a reverse hand strike.

Like mr darkie mentioned there's the stabbing motion of the strike. so, IMHO, the chop can be used in the same manner as the jab it should just be mixed with something else as well.
    In Buck Sing we favor the charp chui.

I was surprised to read that some people may only use it as a reverse punch... As Frank pointed out the Charp Chui has many uses both lead and rear hand.

Obviously there is a time and place for this technique as with all others but most of our drills and techniques revolve around the use of the Charp Chui and it's vast array of combinations.

Blog Entries
    In Buck Sing we favor the charp chui.
    personally i favor the chop choy myself. it's similar to what i've always used growing up in the streets prior to learning Hung Sing Kuen. there are like 5 types of Chop Choy...some school's may have more...but on a general scale there are like five. They can be executed from both the front and reverse hands.

I've come to the realization that the original chop choy's used the clenched fist and the panther fist chop choy was found around the form but it was not the primary fist shape for ALL the choy choys like Yum and Yeung chops. others who are currently researching this are coming to the agreement the clenched fist was most likely the original way and that Tam Sam was responsible for evolving it into the panther fist.

My lineage has always used the clenched fist in the Yum and Yeung Chop Choy's but use the panther in things like the Ping Chop.

In Buk Sing, I believe we count 8. Think of your fist as the centre humb of an 8 spoked rim. As you release, you have an option of 8 directions. Upon commitment, you change angle to avoid your opponents block. Or attempt of a block.

Front, lead, reverse, back hand? is a starting point, a reference and not important. I believe, to think like this restricts spontaneous reaction.

As for the focal point of the fist. It is no different then a phoneix eye. Twisting and boring. "Extra inch" also refers to your stance not your hand. " Lee Man Chop Choy" is an excellent example of that.

Within all martial arts exist Universal Structure and Fixed Action Patterns. We all have 2 arms and 2 legs. To look at the tricks or special attacks of one sytems is limiting. Talking about it, is even more.

These are my opinions. I care not if you feel your skills are more "street" than me.
    Remember the traditonal martial art salute for CMA and you have my opinion.

HSKwarrior...great job on your website.
    By Peace or by Pieces.

You are a human being, not a human doing.
    J Bradshaw.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong doing and right doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by darkie1973 View Post
    Yep.

Also could be Baji style stamping fist.

They call it a "bear fist" right?
    And double yep.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Lee Man Chop Choy
    is that supposed to be Lien Wan Chop Choy?

Thanks Dr Rob
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 01-10-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Sure...in romanizations I guess. I always pronounced it " Lee Man" I guess. I can't seem to write it in chinese. Since I speak only basic Hong Kongeess.
    By Peace or by Pieces.

J Bradshaw.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong doing and right doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    Rumi

Blog Entries
    rob,

These are my opinions. I care not if you feel your skills are more "street" than me.
    uhhhh did i miss something? i didn't see ANYONE telling you anything about the streets and what you specifically can do. did someone erase something? what happened to it?

I always pronounced it " Lee Man" I guess. I can't seem to write it in chinese. Since I speak only basic Hong Kongeess.
    yeah, i guess. you are the FIRST buk sing guy i've known to refer to it as LEE MAN. everyone i've ever known calls it Lien Wan. but hey, whatever floats yer boat

"Leen Waan" would be how you would say it in cantonese (Hong Kong) maybe not how you would spell it. Means - "Continuous".

Peace out.

No No HSK , I usually add the "street" on any forum the first time I write. Not directed at anything particularly here.

A few times, in the past. When I noticed a new comer post. It seemed to degrade to " an internet challenge". Sort of like a hazing, forum style. So...if I head it off by saying these are my opinions and I haven't carved any stone on it. It seems to leave the trolls out.

Since I have done that over the last few years. Never seen an Internet challenge

Thanks CLF Nole...for clearing me up.

HSK when are you to release this book? greatly intrested...Really haven't seen anything since Lee Koon Hung's
    Last edited by Dr.Rob; 01-10-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: grammer
    By Peace or by Pieces.

J Bradshaw.

Rumi

Blog Entries
    HSK when are you to release this book? greatly intrested...Really haven't seen anything since Lee Koon Hung's
    well, i'm still working on it. I will be the first to admit that i am a bad writer. I have passion for it though and i'm doing what i can to improve my writing skills. So i've been going over my chapters to make sure it's all kosher. I should be taking pictures with my sifu soon then arrange the book.

I'm working on it though. however, all the new info i learned i've had to insert it into what i've previously written.

thanks for asking.

No No HSK , I usually add the "street" on any forum the first time I write. Not directed at anything particularly here.
    i figured. but i had to reread what I wrote cause i was like where'd he get that from? LOL