Thread: Line Drawings

Line Drawings

Honorable Forum Members
    Looking for any type of old line drawings or pictographs of any Ba Gua positions. Doing research on body mechanics. In particuar the ratio Shoulder to shoulder distance (relative to the waist) with respect to Stance position (Open/Closed). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Ihave tried converting photos to drawings, however, it seems no two scans reproduce the same area. Any help on this too, woud also be appreaciated.
    Thanking all in advance for any help
    OTD
    Last edited by OTD; 01-13-2011 at 07:17 PM.

are you asking basically how the shoulders sit above the hip lines? if so, the spine doesnt really twist so much.
    and open/close are more functions, not positions.

KTS
    I agree it is not the spine as much as it is the waist. I have been trying
    to view the body as 3 parts. Upper = Inverted pyramid. Middle = rectangle
    and the lower Open = triangle, lower closed = hourglass (sort of?). I have been
    trying to get an idea of torque (Ft/lbs) that could possibly be generated to the
    hands/shoulders/hips/knees from various Ba Gua positions. Basing data on
    the physical size of the individuals' body build. Bottom line I have some access to a large mainframe and wanted to see if any position/move was better/more
    effective at delivering an attack. I know the old practioners commanded
    some Hua Jing (sp?) , I just have been looking at this from a sports
    offense/defense perspective. Nothing more. Just keeping an old brain working
    Thanks
    OTD

what type of attack?

the "lines" in between the points of the shapes you are talking about change.

"I agree it is not the spine as much as it is the waist"

more kua, less waist.

Greetings,

Click on the book covers for interior samples at this site:

http://plumpub.com/sales/bagua/coll_crandallBG.htm

While you are at it check out Yin Yang Bapanzhang. Though it has photos, what is shown says much about alignment.

mickey

Thank you

Mickey
    Thanks for the link

KTS
    'Zero Distance' 1" punch/push/shoulder drop Hip and knee 'bump'.

I have been mainly looking at a football team front lines' initial movement
    after the ball snap. Streigt line curve for the attack. For defense a type of
    rolling/deflective/redirection direction. I tried usinf Xing Yi moves but they
    were too streight lined.

Again
    Thanks guys for the info
    OTD

Line drawing production

I could produce some line drawings for you if you can provide the photos.
    Before you beat the dog, you should learn his master's name.

Quote Originally Posted by OTD View Post
    Mickey
    Thanks for the link

KTS
    'Zero Distance' 1" punch/push/shoulder drop Hip and knee 'bump'.

I have been mainly looking at a football team front lines' initial movement
    after the ball snap. Streigt line curve for the attack. For defense a type of
    rolling/deflective/redirection direction. I tried usinf Xing Yi moves but they
    were too streight lined.

Again
    Thanks guys for the info
    OTD
    you are using way too much thinking. some good advice i once recieved was that when you just think about it, you might never realize it. but when you only "do" it, you might never understand it.

in a way, it means you need both - the work and the contemplation. here, i wanna stress that u should do the work as it seem as if you are intellectualizing just a bit more than u are working.

xingyiquan is far from straight lined fighting. about as far as you can get - which is why it seems so straight. it almost seems like beginners should not learn xingyi because it is too hard to understand.

xingyi may look straight, but those "lines" as you call them are made of very tight spirals.