Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zhai Yao Er Lu - Comparative Study

Shrfu Xia Zhao Long Version

Here are the same set of moves as taught by Shrfu Xia Zhao Long

01. Cross fists left over right in front of the face
    02. Left Forward Step with Left Outward Block & Right Horizontal Chop
    03. Left Backfist (“Immortal Points to the Road”)
    04. Left Grab with Left Front Kick
    05. Right Roundhouse Kick with Right Hook Punch
    06. Right Twist Step with Right Grab & Left Rising Elbow Strike
    07. Left Forward Step and Right Coiling Elbow Strike
    08. Right Forward Step and Right Supported Forearm Strike
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Chi Hak Yuen Version

01. Gather Power
    02. Left Forward Step with Left Outward Block and Right Splitting Strike
    03. Left Ride Tiger Step with Immortal Points to the Road
    04. Left Grab with Left Front Kick
    05. Right Front Kick with Right Two Finger Eye Jab
    06. Right Jade Ring Step and Left Rising Elbow Strike
    07. Left Jade Ring Step and Right (Double) Coiling Elbow
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Movements 07 & 08

07. Right Jade Ring Step and Left (Double) Rising Elbow Strike
    08. Left Jade Ring Step and Right (Double) Coiling Elbow

In Shrfu Zhang Zhen Yuan's version, both the rising elbow strikes and coiling elbow strikes are executed to the front and rear simultaneously. In other words, in movement 07 the left elbow rises to the front while the right elbow rises to the rear at the same time.

In Shrfu Xia Zhao Long and Shrfu Chan Hak Yuen's versions, the right hand grabs the opponent's arm while the left arm rises to lock/break the opponent's elbow.

The coiling elbow of movement 08 can be used to topple the opponent over the front leg.
    Richard A. Tolson

Movement 09

Quote Originally Posted by iunojupiter View Post
    First Several Moves of Zhai Yao Er Lu

- Step into right foot forward small hill climbing stance towards north west, left hand supports right arm push (not sure for name of this strike. left hand supports right wrist, right arm is parallel to ground and can be used to push the opponent or shoved into throat area as a strike.)
    Shrfu Sun De of the Yantai Wang Lang Mantis Boxing Rearch and Promotion Center refers to this move as 封 肘 fēng zhŏu - sealing elbow.

Shrfu Zhang Zhen Yuan refers to the move as 臂 肘 b́ zhou - forearm elbow.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 01-24-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Thanks Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Master Sun De of the Yantai Wang Lang Mantis Boxing Rearch and Promotion Center refers to this move as 封 肘 fēng zhŏu - sealing elbow.
    Thank you Richard! That sounds familiar, I think that's what I've heard it referred to. There was another name as well, but sealing elbow sounds right.

Cheers,
    Josh

Junojupiter,
    No problem!

Side Notes:

- After movement 09 each of the versions I have seen depart greatly from one another.

- It should be mentioned that the Zhai Yao Er Lu form of Qixing Tanglangquan (7* PM) is very different than the Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan form of the same name.
    Here is a video of the Qixing Tanglangquan form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqS1uprXNj4

- The Mimen Tanglangquan version of the form has several movements added to the beginning of the form that precede some of the movements described above. You can watch one of their versions here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3iSj...eature=related If I remember correctly, this is actually a demonstration of the beginning of Zhai Yao Er Lu and another form joined together.
    Richard A. Tolson

- The Mimen Tanglangquan version of the form has several movements added to the beginning of the form that precede some of the movements described above. You can watch one of their versions here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3iSj...eature=related
    Not Mimen.
    Mimen Zhai Yao looks nothing like this.
    The first half of this form is Li Kunshan's 2nd Zhaiyao, the 2nd half is more pizzazz thrown in for a nice demo.

LKS 2nd Zhai Yao is similar to other versions of Mei hua, Taiji and several 7* schools (not HK 7*) with a very interesting addition.
    Right after the first move of the form, Turn the body left points the way it has the opening moves of old 7* form White Ape steals Peach thrown in.

OF 8 Step Mantis.
    Their 2nd Zhai Yao also has that White ape steals the peach move in the beginning.
    This is perfomed by Zuo Xianfu. He was in charge of leading the classes up until the day Master Wei passed away.

八步螳螂拳 (8-step praying mantis) 摘要二段 (部份)

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Not Mimen.
    Mimen Zhai Yao looks nothing like this.
    The first half of this form is Li Kunshan's 2nd Zhaiyao, the 2nd half is more pizzazz thrown in for a nice demo.

LKS 2nd Zhai Yao is similar to other versions of Mei hua, Taiji and several 7* schools (not HK 7*) with a very interesting addition.
    Right after the first move of the form, Turn the body left points the way it has the opening moves of old 7* form White Ape steals Peach thrown in.
    Kevin,
    Thank you for the correction! I apologize for the error!
    Richard A. Tolson

Correction for the qilin characters

Though the conversation has moved on from movement #2, I only just saw the thread and wanted to clarify the correct characters since it was repeatedly listed incorrectly.

The correct characters for the qilin - mythical beast, sometimes translated as Chinese Unicorn as stated by -N- should be
    麒麟
    notice the of the "deer" radical on the left for both characters.
    It is not even though the animal is often depicted with a scale-like appearance.

Vance
    朱 超 然 螳 螂 武 術 學 院
    Tony Chuy's Praying Mantis Martial Arts Institute
    http://www.northernmantis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Young Mantis View Post
    Though the conversation has moved on from movement #2, I only just saw the thread and wanted to clarify the correct characters since it was repeatedly listed incorrectly.

The correct characters for the qilin - mythical beast, sometimes translated as Chinese Unicorn as stated by -N- should be
    麒麟
    notice the of the "deer" radical on the left for both characters.
    It is not even though the animal is often depicted with a scale-like appearance.

Vance
    Yep, that is what I thought. Though the text I was referring to did use 鱗 rather than 麒. I figured it must be a mistake. Glad to hear another confirmation of that.

Any thoughts on why the zhai yao er lu of HK tanglangquan is so different from the others?
    Richard A. Tolson

玉 女 過 橋 - yù​ nǚ gụ qiáo (Jade Maiden Crosses Bridge, if this goddess is the subject of the action)
    I have seen this one.
    Dizzy maiden is what it sounds like if you say it quickly so it also has been written that way, the technique sometimes is performed like a dizzy girl walking (which I think is correct way to perform).

Kevin,
    Thank you for clearing that up!

At the end of the HK Seven Star Lanjie the technique definitely has a drunken type feel to the move. So your comments definitely make sense.
    Richard A. Tolson

MM,

That movement is not in er lu. I'm pretty sure I didn't say it on my site either (mentioned it but not in that context). Thanks for citing me though. I don't really want to write my quan pu here but #9 is: He Shou Qi Ma Shuang Kou.

Also, 'Mainland' QXTL is different in Yantai, Qingdao, Shenyang, Dalian etc. As far as zhaiyao, our family is quite different to other QX lineages so not much use for your analysis. In my opinion the most important thing is what's written in your own quan pu, not in others.

BT

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    That movement is not in er lu.
    BT
    Right, I was just thinking of the move itself.
    Not in er lu.