Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: how not to fight a boxer

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Terence,

You did not answer my specific question about exactly what happened the last time you sparred a boxer.

You gave a generic answer.

And amazingly, you said that it's easy to deal with very good pure boxers - and based upon your previous posts - these are guys who train out of boxing gyms that you're talking about.

Therefore I see no point in taking this any further.

Well that's my case, Jim, and it's now closed.
    As I KEEP TELLING YOU, there is no point in giving specifics. A blow-by-blow account won't clarify anything. Ed Hart gave a specific example of what happened to him -- that didn't help you, did it?

It is easy to deal with boxers -- unless you box with them. How difficult was it for Randy to deal with Toney? Easy, because he DID NOT BOX with him. Is that point sinking in yet? A pure, unattached striking game is not very difficult to deal with -- as anyone can see from MMA -- IF you are not trying to play the same game. But when you do "WCK kickboxing", you will have all kinds of difficulty since you are playing into their game, their strengths.

The case is closed because you cannot --and will not -- see past your own limitations.

Like I said - the case is closed.

"It's easy to deal with very good pure boxers using wing chun."

I have no more time to waste on this.

P.S.- Randy Couture does not use any wing chun.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 01-20-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Of course they fight, WE KNOW they fight, that isn't the issue.
    I was hoping that I had made myself clear and I see that I didn't, sorry.
    You know I have the upmost respect for you Phil so understand that the critique I am stating is not about YOU OR your TWC, its about the methodology of the DEMO, that's all.
    What was wrong?
    Well in all honestly, T did already state it and show it in the clips he posted which we also demo clips.
    In a nutshell, the attacks were badly made, badly executed, unrealistic, incorrect range and incorrectly done and for because of that, the rest was "irrelevant".
    In short, if you want to show how TWC counters a Jab or hook then the jab or hook MUST be done the right way from the right distance with the right intent.
    I don't try to hit a student in a demo. But we do train the same thing I did in the demo while striking from a real contact intent distance. I can email you some clips showing what I mean. Look for a PM from me.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I don't try to hit a student in a demo. But we do train the same thing I did in the demo while striking from a real contact intent distance. I can email you some clips showing what I mean. Look for a PM from me.
    I have no doubt that you guys do translate it well into your sparring, the clips of your guys fighting full contact is evidence of that.
    And no, you don't have to hit the student in the demo, the point is that the student should AT LEAST TRY to hit you though.
    That said, I have been hit plenty of times while being the "dummy" in a demo and it didn't kill me.
    That is what gear and control are for.

Like I mentioned on the PM, it's not that the demo are useless and nothing can be learned, its that it is NOT realistic and it could be.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Like I said - the case is closed.

"It's easy to deal with very good pure boxers using wing chun."

I have no more time to waste on this.

P.S.- Randy Couture does not use any wing chun.
    Of course Randy doesn't use WCK -- but my point is that he isn't trying to box or to stand and bang with a boxer: he uses a different game, one that takes boxing out of the picture. WCK takes boxing out of the picture too. You don't appreciate that since to YOU (and Cheung) WCK is a form of kickboxing.

And my point is that pointing a finger at William Cheung/TWC...

and talking about Randy Couture...

and telling us how you find it easy to deal with very good pure boxers...

WITHOUT ANY DETAILS AND SPECIFICS ABOUT HOW YOU DO THIS...

means nothing.

Hence, to continue this conversation is a waste of time.

Why don't you just let it go?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 01-20-2011 at 11:19 AM.

And my point is that pointing a finger at William Cheung/TWC...

and talking about Randy Couture...

and telling us how you find it easy to deal with very good pure boxers...

WITHOUT ANY DETAILS AND SPECIFICS ABOUT HOW YOU DO THIS...

means nothing.

Hence, to continue this conversation is a waste of time.

Why don't you just let it go?
    The details and specifics is called WCK. Learn it. Go find a good teacher. Until you do, it will mean nothing.

From an outsider looking in it seems that T has more issues with TWC than anything else.
    This here just reeks of "My lineage is better than yours".
    When you start saying things like "If you learend the correct WCK" or "Older, legit lines of WCK", it takes away from your very correct critique of those videos and puts your view into the " I have the real WCK" category.

Looks like another repetitious dead thread.

A Demo is a demo. Pick this one apart. Well for one. His distance is unrealistic because he's not trying to hit the guy for real.I can find more things as you all can
    There a MANY examples of competent fighters teaching while talking, dropping their guard, having their partner not resist when demoing grappling techs and so on.
    But as Joy said. Another dead thread.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=839vG93LgAg
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I have no doubt that you guys do translate it well into your sparring, the clips of your guys fighting full contact is evidence of that.
    And no, you don't have to hit the student in the demo, the point is that the student should AT LEAST TRY to hit you though.
    That said, I have been hit plenty of times while being the "dummy" in a demo and it didn't kill me.
    That is what gear and control are for.

Like I mentioned on the PM, it's not that the demo are useless and nothing can be learned, its that it is NOT realistic and it could be.
    At least you disagree like a man and don't resort to childish insults. I can respect that.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    At least you disagree like a man and don't resort to childish insults. I can respect that.
    Insults are for people that DON'T have anything to back their position up.
    We are disagreeing yes, but only of a sort and this is why:
    You don;t think you need to be that realistic in a demo and I do.
    Beyond that there is no disagreement.
    The video you posted of the boxer is different on several regards:
    Everyone has seen boxing and knows what it looks like and how boxers fight, so most of the stuff being shown can be "half-assed".
    Boxing defense doesn't need to be demo'd full speed or even with half ass speed because it is base don the strikes coming to the defender, not on interceptions or things like that.

Even the clips that T put up of crazy monkey were half speed and the only reason ANY contact was made was because they wore gloves and I have seen demos of CM without gloves and they don't make contact either.

The issue is that they are more realistic in what is being shown in regards to what is being taught.

From an outsider looking in it seems that T has more issues with TWC than anything else.
    This here just reeks of "My lineage is better than yours".
    When you start saying things like "If you learend the correct WCK" or "Older, legit lines of WCK", it takes away from your very correct critique of those videos and puts your view into the " I have the real WCK" category.
    ***Amen to that.

And without having to show or discuss any details of what the correct wing chun is going to look like. That's a sweet deal.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 01-20-2011 at 12:31 PM.

You guys are so ****ing held up on how your :lineage" does this that and the other thing that you guys can' even understand that you have more to gain by working together than you have to lose.
    Who gives a flying **** if its TWC, HFY, MYWC, scratch my balls and call me grandpa WC !
    Seriously !
    You guys are like a bunch of whiney women on the rag, my apologies to all the whiney women on the rag.

It's like I mentioned over PM, when Terrence showed how what Phil was demoing was incorrect based on what he was doing and then showed WHy with those two CM videos, he made it about what was going on.
    The moment he through in his snide remark about "old, legit styles of WC", he stopped making it about the "legitimacy" of the practice and made it about "legitimacy of lineages" and who the **** gives a **** about that?