Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: how not to fight a boxer

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Marketing? Very little of my income comes from WCK at all. I discourage people to study with me. I only have a small, closed door group in Chinatown. I have no contracts, automatic deductions, or other commercial interests in WCK in general. I don't advertise, and only insiders in general know of me locally.

I don't even like to meet most WCK people, as I find few have a balanced life of scholarship and martial skills.

And as far as the 'hood, or street, that shows a negative onesidedness of an art that can take you so much further.
    I'm a little confused. There's all kinds of marketing that people do. Some is for monetary gain. Some is for building a personal image of high status, regardless of money. And some people do it for both reasons, I would think. Just because there may not be an exchange of money doesn't necessarily mean that there's no marketing going on. Right? Also, wing chun is supposed to be a street effective style of martial arts, isn't that true? So why discount any notion of street? And why assume that most wing chun people are not well rounded? Most of those I've met seem to be.
    Last edited by Nite Templar; 01-31-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    . . . . I don't even like to meet most WCK people, as I find few have a balanced life of scholarship and martial skills. . . . .
    That doesn't sound like you Sifu Chu. Maybe you had a bad day.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

What's so bizarre?
    A push is not bizarre. In wrestling and judo you are pushing and pulling people all the time. In Hochheim knife fighting, you have pin, pull, and PUSH, and these are in WC too.

What is bizarre, to paraphrase Bruce Lee:

Before I joined the forum, a push was just a push.

After I joined the forum, a push was not a push, it was a six dimensional force vector dynamic structure advanced stuffs po pai fly away Air Chu .

After I weaned myself off the antipsychotics a push was just a push again.

Like I said before, when you have guys that think that there is no "push" in Wing Chun, you are going to get a somewhat belabored thread.
    CAn't argue with that, as this thread is the proof thereof.

Where is the "common sense"?
    Exactly.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    What is bizarre, to paraphrase Bruce Lee:

Before I joined the forum, a push was just a push.

After I joined the forum, a push was not a push, it was a six dimensional force vector dynamic structure advanced stuffs po pai fly away Air Chu .

After I weaned myself off the antipsychotics a push was just a push again.

Yeah. I agree with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    if only i had known what i would have started with this thread......is there a time machine i can use to undo all this damage
    What damage? Very few of these thread stay on a specific topic. You have to view these threads as conversations. Conversations go off on tangents all the time. A few years back there was a forum called the "Wing Chun Tea House." The idea was that the forum was a virtual community of Wing Chun people meeting to talk about martial arts at the local tea house over a nice warm cup of tea. I always liked that image.

I see it more as a pub, with bluff, bluster and tall stories. People posture, get upset, stretch the truth to breaking point, argue, become temporarily psychotic ...

OK as long as you didn't come along expecting education, edification, absolution, worship, or being able to spout pompous rubbish without being called on it.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

What I've come to notice in the short time that I've been following this forum are some of the incredible resumes. Too incredible.
    Last edited by Nite Templar; 01-31-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Like I told Andrew, I'd have a hard time coming up with an actual list. It was more a "figure of speech." But in all seriousness....and not trying to "kiss up" to anyone....but I'd put you on the list along with Robert. You have decades of experience, you studied with a 1st generation student of Ip Man, you hold a "Master" ranking in TWC, you have experienced several lineages, and you have a lot you can tell us about your Wing Chun. I'm sure the "collective consciousness" here could come up with other criteria for the "list".....but that would be another topic entirely!
    Thanks, actually it's four 1st generation students of Yip Man. William Cheung, Moy Yat, Duncan Leung, Alan Lee. Then three 2nd generation students of Yip Man plus two non-Yip Man lineages of WC.
    Now that I think of it I have been around for a little while.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Templar View Post
    What I've come to notice in the short time that I've been following this forum are some of the incredible resumes. Too incredible.
    I've been doing MA since 18. I'm 63 now. I lived in Brooklyn across the bridge from NY's Chinatown so I had access to many Kung Fu schools. I learned to speak Cantonese at CCNY so that I could better understand MA terminology.
    I've always been devoted to understanding MA. That's why I studied with so many people. I had my own business so I'd study with 3 Sifus/Senseis at a time.
    I haven't mentioned all my MA experience here. I never included studying Shorinryu when I was Marine in Okinawa, my full contact fights and the people who trained me, and the many other MAs I studied. I could gone on. My MA accomplishment even got me in a documentary with renowned MAs such as Tayari Casel, Dennis Brown, etc.
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazi...hp?article=745
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH9EY...eature=related
    So I really hope you weren't referring to my post on the Jujitsu people I studied with.
    btw, I noticed your screen name. Are you a traveling man?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Nah, not really, I think that you might be surprised that there are quite a few of older posters here and not just immature net trolls, they just act like net trolls, LMAO !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I see it more as a pub, with bluff, bluster and tall stories. People posture, get upset, stretch the truth to breaking point, argue, become temporarily psychotic ...
    Good point. I guess the "tea house" is the ideal, but the "pub" is the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Good point. I guess the "tea house" is the ideal, but the "pub" is the reality.
    Did someone say pub??

Celebration drinks for a 'peaceful' forum or are we mourning the loss of some old posters here??
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Did someone say pub??

Celebration drinks for a 'peaceful' forum or are we mourning the loss of some old posters here??
    I must admit, "peaceful" often translates to boring. Controversy generates interest. In the past, the KFO Wing Chun forum has typically gotten a lot more traffic and posts than other Wing Chun forums. Its frustrating to check into a forum and discover there have been no new posts for weeks. My fear is that if we "weed out" those that seem to produce controversy, we also reduce the amount of posting and discussing. Also, if people with real knowledge and experience to share decide to stop posting here, then threads will degenerate to the "what's your favorite Chi Sao technique?" variety. I'd hate to see that happen. Differences of opinion are not a bad thing.

Also, if people with real knowledge and experience to share decide to stop posting here, then threads will degenerate to the "what's your favorite Chi Sao technique?" variety.
    It's debatable that any or all of those who stopped posting recently, fit into the category you describe.

I wouldn't actually mind favorite technique threads. It would be a change from the dominant MMA vs TCMA and CSLWC vs TWC which most of the recent departees spent the bulk of their time on.

I'm a little confused. There's all kinds of marketing that people do. Some is for monetary gain. Some is for building a personal image of high status, regardless of money. And some people do it for both reasons, I would think. Just because there may not be an exchange of money doesn't necessarily mean that there's no marketing going on. Right? Also, wing chun is supposed to be a street effective style of martial arts, isn't that true? So why discount any notion of street? And why assume that most wing chun people are not well rounded? Most of those I've met seem to be.
    Sure Nite, you have a point.

Why are you here? Tell us a bit about yourself, your background, skills, ability and what you are studied in. I'd love to hear all about you.

WCK is about as street effective as the practitioner.

Well rounded, I may have been too quick to judge. I was having a bad day as Master Phil said. Actually WCK people with a good perspective can be refreshing.