Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: how not to fight a boxer

i like seeing an aggressive fighter...but if youre going to commit to starting the action, you better be faster and more efficient than that. and at least stick with it and not back up after throwing 1 or 2 punches or kicks.

he's being countered every time with a quick jab from a taller dude. as a strategy, he's not even messing with the guy's "structure", "center of gravity", "axis" etc etc.
    he never up-rooted the tall guy or brought him down to his level.

the other guy (boxer) seems totally fine and in control even when he's would appear to be giving up to some.

why is the wing chun dude head hunting when punching the guy in the head is too tall for him? where where the body punches? he's lucky the dude wasn't a kicker.

why didn't he stay committed instead of keep backing off once he had him.

obviously, the boxer is playing with him the entire time, and the boxer isnt even that great in terms of other boxers.

and at the end, he gets punched right down the middle in the face by a slow cross. because he starts copying the other guys hands by dropping them. the problem is, he's not a boxer and doesn't have the reflexes to play that game.

i mean, this all obvious. not even sure it's worth mentioning anything i wrote.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

in all seriousness the boxer had a big height advantage.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

How not to fight a boxer.....don't try to kickbox with WCK! The guy is this clip seems to know a more WCK than the guy above, but he still doesn't fair to well against this kickboxer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7iLZ...eature=related

The problem is closing the gap so that you can make good use of your WCK. Bruce Lee recognized this problem and I think it was one of the factors leading to the creation of JKD. If you want to kickbox with a WCK "flavor", study some JKD! But don't try to make WCK into something it is not....because it doesn't work very well ......as most of these clips on the internet will attest!!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    How not to fight a boxer.....don't try to kickbox with WCK! The guy is this clip seems to know a more WCK than the guy above, but he still doesn't fair to well against this kickboxer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7iLZ...eature=related

The problem is closing the gap so that you can make good use of your WCK. Bruce Lee recognized this problem and I think it was one of the factors leading to the creation of JKD. If you want to kickbox with a WCK "flavor", study some JKD! But don't try to make WCK into something it is not....because it doesn't work very well ......as most of these clips on the internet will attest!!
    i think you went off on a tangent that missed the point.

Quote Originally Posted by tigershorty View Post
    i think you went off on a tangent that missed the point.
    A clip was posted with the invitation to discuss. The clip showed a WCK guy doing very poorly against a boxer because he was trying to "kickbox" with his WCK. It was definitely an example of how NOT to fight a boxer, as the original poster said, and which I agreed with. So how did I go off on a tangent, and where did I miss the point?

Blog Entries
    The best way to fight against a boxer is not to play boxing game with him but to take him down ASAP. It's just "common sense" and has nothing to do with style.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The best way to fight against a boxer is not to play boxing game with him but to take him down ASAP. It's just "common sense" and has nothing to do with style.

Nice idea... but but how does the WC guy do this in the clip provided?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Nice idea... but but how does the WC guy do this in the clip provided?
    I didn't know that sparring clip had rules that "throwing" was not allowed.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-11-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It has everything to do with skills and skills are going to be dependent on what you train and what you train will often be called "style"...

Most plain vanilla VT peeps don't have a ground game.. They are supposed to have a stand up game though... So unless VT having any kind of game is a myth then it stands to reason that the VT man should have some skills that would allow him to use his stand up game.. However using VT as pure kick boxing will take away much of VT's tool set.

Most VT folks have trouble entering because it's not trained enough and most VT folks have much more trouble when the opponent is taller and has considerably longer reach.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I don't see a problem with WCK not being able to close the gap. Why would you say this? If you occupy the line, have good structure, fwd intent and understand proper range, what's the problem?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I don't see a problem with WCK not being able to close the gap. Why would you say this? If you occupy the line, have good structure, fwd intent and understand proper range, what's the problem?
    The "problem" is that it is much easier written than done AND that there is precious little evidence that many VT peeps are doing it regularly against decent boxers...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

his problem is not because he knows wing chun.

the loser basically kept charging straight in in without setting up an attack. the boxer (probably with more experience) just kept picking him off with round punches (avoiding the attack) and a longer reach.

the loser kept charging in over and over again, not changing his game plan.

wing chun's problem is not its techniques, its the fact that most teachers don't know how to apply what they teach.

Blog Entries
    In my personal experience, the jab and cross just don't work well againt hook punch. When your opponent uses hook to deal with your jab or cross, Even if he misses your head, his fore-arm can still knock your fore-arm down, that will interrupt the continuation of your straight line chain punches. A good hook punch can integrate both offense and defense in one.

Just like in the spear fighting, the best defense against a straight line spear stabbing is a circular spear deflect. This is to use the "circular" motion to counter the "straight line" motion issue.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/QO0LSRudgfY/
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-12-2011 at 01:37 AM.