Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: how not to fight a boxer

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Honestly, WCK can be taught within a year or even a few months. It all depends on the student, and the teacher. You could at least make a functional stand up fighter in that time.

Mastery will take a while...but that's with everything.
    I agree, but IS IT taught that way typically? and for it to be taught that way, what is done?
    Or more correctly, what is prioritized and what is de-prioritized?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

anyone know who that boxer is? he looks like he would be pretty good if he was taking it seriously

on another side note the karate vs wing chun match linked to that vid was a more fair fight due to both gentleman being equal in size

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Honestly, WCK can be taught within a year or even a few months. It all depends on the student, and the teacher. You could at least make a functional stand up fighter in that time.

Mastery will take a while...but that's with everything.
    Will this relatively new stand up fighter actually be able to do Wing Chun Robert, or simply stand and trade blows??

Personally I think the quick fix fighter for comps requires more than 15hrs a week to be any good in 3 months, unless they have already come with something already.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Will this relatively new stand up fighter actually be able to do Wing Chun Robert, or simply stand and trade blows??

Personally I think the quick fix fighter for comps requires more than 15hrs a week to be any good in 3 months, unless they have already come with something already.
    Who cares how he wins. If you can teach a beginner to win by chainpunching the **** out of your opponent in two weeks that will get him by until he can improve his WCK to take out better opponents.

Will it work everytime. ofcourse not, nothing you teach a beginner will (or an advanced for that matter)
    Will it work against proven good fighters. Ofcourse not, nothing you teach a beginner will.
    Will it work against most of the scrubs you meet in bars etc. **** well it will, most of the time.

IMO Robert is correct.. Anyone with the ability can be taught to be functional in a short time.. This is not the case typically in VT even after 10 years but not because of what VT is but rather because of poor training.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I agree, but IS IT taught that way typically? and for it to be taught that way, what is done?
    Or more correctly, what is prioritized and what is de-prioritized?
    Of course, its not taught like this typically. One of my students is a cop. He studied BJJ, MT, and WCK. The WCK was from one of my disciples. He learned probably 2nd set prior, but I started to teach him from scratch when he moved to Los Angeles. I taught him the entire system in less than a year. I also taught him Integrated Escrima in that time as well.

Mostly it was through private time one on one.

You prioritize function, hands on pressure, application; not showing and performing sets. Also pad drills, sticking hands, and body pressure - of course, sparring would be part of that.

What I outlined in my DVD's, if any one drilled them for 6 months, they'd be a very good fighter.

Spencer,

I would actually teach them the method of WCK, which Dr. John Fung summed up so eloquently as:

封 手, 制 腳, 管 勢, 失 中 (失 重 )

Why would it be so hard? If its the real teaching, one small teaching of it embodies the truth of the system.

Why would a scrub want to learn to trade blows? What is the merit of their teaching then? I give them a lot of homework to do and they have to do conditioning, then try it with all sorts of opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    IMO Robert is correct.. Anyone with the ability can be taught to be functional in a short time.. This is not the case typically in VT even after 10 years but not because of what VT is but rather because of poor training.
    LOL! The story of Ng Mui teaching Yim Wing Chun was set in a few months, not decades or years.

If you use pads and a wall bag, you get power in your strikes and kicks immediately. If you train the Jong with your whole body on principle moves, you learn to use the whole body to issue power. When you pressure the student from different angles, they immediately get stronger in their root, base and posture. When you work on San Sao, they have no fear of facing an opponent. If you stick hands and strike them, they can learn to see what fits them in the moment. If you give them supplemental work with a KB and a Medicine ball, they learn to catch and throw with their body. Nothing is just forms and talking all night long to understand. Its all about doing.

I have to say that most WCK schools waste a student's time. If they put in the work, there is no reason why they cannot get good in a short period of time.

The guys elbows are outside his body width so what makes us all think he is trained in VT ? after all thats one of the biggest attributes that sets VT apart..elbow behaviour. We all know Fighting under the banner of VT doesnt men you use VT.

His chin is up and his hands are down which is bad for any style and like paul said, his reactions to being hit suggest he's not very experienced.

Up untill he got kablammed he wasnt doing so bad. We see proffesional fighters in situations like this where they are on the back foot.
    I feel people here expect a fighter of any style thats considered 'good' to not be tested and just own people. Reality aint like that. You get bullied about even with a evenly matched opponent, you trade. Its ones ability to get passed it / weather it and continue on. Frankie Edgar please stand up ! but the guy played into his opponents strengths full stop. What he does in the next encounter would be interesting to see and that would determine how good of a fighter he is IMO, how he learns from his mistakes...

Im not sure why he didnt use more kicks. When ive faced guys better than me with the advantages we see here i've found mixing up kicks and punches opens up the opponents defences and keeps them from pressing forward as you present a changing moving target.
    VT has taught me how to take punches whilst landing my own kicks at close range so why not capitalise on this bennifit of VT?? is he not at that level yet ?

As for the newer subject of quick training peeps in VT, ive found learning techs for how to cover yourself and take punches are way more effective for enabling you to hang in there with better skilled people than teaching someone a bunch of attcking movements...it also hardens you up which IMO is a very important attribute that alot of VT schools in my local area dont address
    Last edited by Liddel; 01-13-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

How many WC videos are out there?
    How many done by proficient and talented teachers?
    Most of them are marketing for them or their system.
    How many actually show WC fighting ??
    lol snap this is what i was going on about so many people say what wing chun should look like, so many on here say whats wrong with this clip or that clip and so many seem to find the time to write on these forums or put up clips of chi sao or drills, yet no one can be bothered putting up a real fight against a half decent opponent because they cant find the time (phil and Alan aside that is, and hell victor too has at least put up sparring clips)

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    Who cares how he wins. If you can teach a beginner to win by chainpunching the **** out of your opponent in two weeks that will get him by until he can improve his WCK to take out better opponents.
    Sorry Jesper, but Robert was talking about teaching, or finish teaching a student Wing Chun in 3moths to a year. Thankfully, chain punching isn't all Wing Chun has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    In your opinion Robert is always correct!

And if that's really what you think about Wing Chun, taking 10 years to get functional, you really ought to get out more. Maybe 10 years on 1hr training per week with no homework! But that's not how to learn Wing Chun imho, which is why our style should have never gone commercial in the first place imho.

Spencer,

I would actually teach them the method of WCK, which Dr. John Fung summed up so eloquently as:

封 手, 制 腳, 管 勢, 失 中 (失 重 )

Why would it be so hard? If its the real teaching, one small teaching of it embodies the truth of the system.

Why would a scrub want to learn to trade blows? What is the merit of their teaching then? I give them a lot of homework to do and they have to do conditioning, then try it with all sorts of opponents.
    Robert,

From what you say here, you are only teaching the 'character' of Wing Chun from one line of kuit. That is not complete by a long shot fme, just an overview of what there is on offer. A better question for you would be, how long it takes to get a student functional in all the 40 points from Kulo?

And of course, will this training improve your future prospects of fighting a boxer?
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 01-14-2011 at 02:58 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    nah, the people rowing the boat usually don't have time to rock it. I don't think this means that there just aren't any people out there doing it, or afraid to show their stuff might not be so hot.
    More like people are just to busy with their own stuff to really get involved in little online forum debates.
    Ok, so I might not be the greatest example, but besides running a full-time school, six days a week,
    I have a pile of articles I've written and re-written, to be submitted...um, soon.
    Apparently, I won't submit them to IKF...
    I have an outline for a DVD series I really want to shoot..um, soon...
    I have the outline for a book series, but I need to get in better shape (the camera adds ten pounds..) ..um, soon..
    I have to work out harder..um, soon..
    Put up a video on youtube? Are you kidding? I'm so busy!
    You run a full time school (as do a fair few wing chun teachers I bet) and yet you don’t have the time to record any sparring matches that happen within the school or any of the competition fights your guys do? What is it with kung fu schools do cameras not work in them? Can’t they see the advertising advantage of doing this? And while I’m at it how come it’s only the schools that suck that manage to actually put out sparring clips but not the good schools?

One of the MMA gyms I attend is also full time, and is very very busy (the two coaches run the gym, delivery privates and teach around the country, run a team of fighters and a grappling team as well) yet they manage to not only record the fights their guys take part in, as well as the inter club grappling comps they run AND the grappling comps they attend, hell they even manage to record a typical weeks training and put the clip out on youtube: which includes sparring, grappling and drills (shock horror) Why because they realise its great publicity to do so and a great way to advertise and get new students

How hard is it to set a video up and press record, you don’t have to set up special fights just record normal sparring sessions

Not to press the video thing too much since it is kind of highjacking the thread but the Dog Brothers have a motto that I believe should be universal:
    See it taught, see it fought.
    Now, you don't always have to do it full contact, though it is best that way, just doing it in a sparring application is just fine, but you SHOULD demo any application VS a resisting opponent.
    The question is, WHY WOULDN'T YOU ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Not to press the video thing too much since it is kind of highjacking the thread but the Dog Brothers have a motto that I believe should be universal:
    See it taught, see it fought.
    Now, you don't always have to do it full contact, though it is best that way, just doing it in a sparring application is just fine, but you SHOULD demo any application VS a resisting opponent.
    The question is, WHY WOULDN'T YOU ?
    Don’t worry I started the thread so hijack away…and your point goes to the core of why I posted it, most people agree the wing chun guy didn’t do very well, most people say its not a good representation of wing chun…….fine that’s their opinion but can they point to a good representation….if not why not

Are we just meant to believe that whilst people have the time to post on line over and over and take the time to refute bad things said about wing chun they don’t have the time or inclination to actually show what they are talking about

Or are we meant to believe that whilst more than a few wing chun instructors are bothered enough and technically minded enough to put out demos and compliant training clips they aren’t bothered or technical minded enough to actually record some sparring

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Don’t worry I started the thread so hijack away…and your point goes to the core of why I posted it, most people agree the wing chun guy didn’t do very well, most people say its not a good representation of wing chun…….fine that’s their opinion but can they point to a good representation….if not why not

Are we just meant to believe that whilst people have the time to post on line over and over and take the time to refute bad things said about wing chun they don’t have the time or inclination to actually show what they are talking about

Or are we meant to believe that whilst more than a few wing chun instructors are bothered enough and technically minded enough to put out demos and compliant training clips they aren’t bothered or technical minded enough to actually record some sparring
    Frost, you just don't understand. _ing _un has too many crippling and deadly techniques to be able to spar with it. If they went to a competition all the other folks would have their eyes gouged out or there throats crushed or other horrible injuries.

Don't you see that these folks are simply being adult and responsible by not not inflecting the terrible damage that _ing _un can cause on unsuspecting boxers, mma players and other thugs.

Yeah, right. But it sounds good to the unknowing.
    Mike