Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you Kung Fu?

What you call it does matter, kung fu, mma, boxing, judo, Krav Maga and all those other names.

What matters is why you train (sport, fitness, self defence et al / community, semi pro, proffessional level) and how good or how much enjoyment you get out of it.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

because, shortly after I recieved my black belt in the Japanese arts, I met a master of Kung fu who barely touched me and effortlessly and continueously threw me on the ground and changed my perspective on martial arts forever..
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

"F" kung fu I train UFC!

Blog Entries
    "F" kung fu I train UFC!
    Does the UFC stand for "Ukrainian Fried Chicken like KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken)?

just askin.......
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    because, shortly after I recieved my black belt in the Japanese arts, I met a master of Kung fu who barely touched me and effortlessly and continueously threw me on the ground and changed my perspective on martial arts forever..
    which japanese art? do you still use it at all? any of the principles carry over for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    "F" kung fu I train UFC!
    And you use "Shaolin" as your forum handle?

Interesting....

Tell us more. Was he a Northern Mantis master. What Japanese style did you practice? Did the master use "softness" against you?

Sorry, for the questions, but your answer should open people's eyes to the depth of the TCMAs.

sny7 and HD 108
    it was Okinawan gojyu ryu from the Miyagi family. while it did have soft techniques in it it wasnt until many many years, that you began to learn the crane side from Kung fu so it felt like a waste of a lot of time to learn the hard stuff which IMO is not practical and hard to execute, just to give into the soft and back to the mother of all asian arts.............. kung fu.

I tried to empty my cup form what I leanred whn I met my shifu and had to drop some bad habits so as to your questions sny, no I dont really use or rely on any of the techniques perse, but some of my teachers teahings will live in my heart and mind forever. I was with him almost daily for 6 years so some stuff you just cant shed.

HD
    yes northern praying mantis which i still practice daily for the last 22 years later. He used yin to my yang, all my teachings were hard with a little softness of the white crane, however he used minimum effort for maximum results and choped through my attacks with ease.
    It was then i realized I found my path...... i have been doing matrial arts since childhood and it wasnt until I met Shyun kwon Long that i realized what I was missing. i am very for tunate to be able to study under such a great master. had to seely car and quit my job adn move to San Francisco to do it but i still was thankful for the opportunity
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I first started off in Kung fu, five animals and when I moved to Portugal, there wasn't any there so I went to Karate, Judo, wrestling and Boxing.
    Coming back to Canada I got into ITF TKD, wanted to do something different and learn to use my legs in a different way, also learned that after exposing myself to different MA that ALL had something to offer and, perhaps more importantly, the best way to learn how to "beat them" was to understand them.
    After TKD I did Hung Kuen and loved it, but had to stop and then I went to Kyokushin, loved it and did it and boxing/Mt as the same time, they went really will together.
    While in the military I did some Sambo and Judo and assorted Martial arts.
    After I left I got back into kyokushin and Judo and then tried BJJ/MMA for a couple of years.
    But I always felt that there was something "missing" and that something was "kung fu".
    As things happened I was recommended a retired Hung Kuen Sifu who happened t be my original HK sifu of years gone by and he has a brother that does SPM and since he also did boxing, we got along great ( both huge fans of Tyson and Robert Duran LOL) and I trained with them and their extended family up until last year.

Kung fu to me is the return to the beginning and it just "feels right".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

funny aint it sanjuro, that whatever path we venture one it always leads us to where we need to be..... in all aspects of life not just MA
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

funny aint it sanjuro, that whatever path we venture one it always leads us to where we need to be..... in all aspects of life not just MA
    You got that right My Brother
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I too think that many of us start back at the beginning, or rather where we began with a fresh perspective on all things learned up to that point.

I like what Ronin said about all martial arts being able to offer you something. I think this is a true statement. Everyone always has a list of this and that, did this and did that, this is good and this sucks, but even though what works and what doesn't is pretty basic, what works for some and not for others is not so much.

All things considered, I took from and learned something from every martial art style I trained in. In the end, Kung Fu was what I went back to because it provided what I needed, and still does.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

"Kung Fu was what I went back to because it provided what I needed, and still does."

I like that one...
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by qiternal View Post
    In the search of wisdom, direction is found with but a question.
    actually wisdom is found with the answer...
    Why do you Kung Fu?
    we all have no choice but to spend time in energy... might aswell choose to invest in it wisely.

Fair question, qiternal

I originally started doing kung fu because I like swords. When I took my Buddhist vows, it worked better for me as a meditation practice than sitting. It also pays my bills.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart