Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do you Kung Fu?

I started kungfu so I could learn some self defense and how to punch, kick, throw people. I kept doing kungfu because its fun, and it keeps the insanity at bay. You also never know when you might get attacked by a ninja, and everyone knows that you need kungfu to fight off ninjas.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

My first formal MA training was in Kenpo, but my teacher was very interested in and incorporated from other MA (fighting-wise, not form-wise) into his teachings. He particularly liked CMA, FMA, Jujutsu and western boxing. He always maintained that many kung fu methods were highly effective, and he could apply it very well. He was also open-minded, and encouraged his students to broaden their views by investigating other arts.

That stuck with me, and I eventually got experience in various types of MA (Japanese, Korean, etc.) and kickboxing, but I finally got the chance to learn CMA (northern Mantis...7-Star and some 8-Step, as well as some old-school Chang Chuan) beginning in 1985. I also trained about 18 months in Lung Ying. I still do CMA, though since 1993 it's been CLF. Aside from a year of training in BJJ a couple years ago, I concentrate on my CLF, but have kept some aspects that have proven effective for me from my other training, too.

IMO, it's good to find what art/arts work best for yourself, but also have a favorite or base art.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-20-2011 at 12:28 PM.

jimbo
    where and from whom did you lern 8 step? did you learn for long?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Greetings,

I chose Chinese martail arts because of the longevity/ability factor. I figured I would still be able to use the CMA to protect myself when I got 80 and beyond. I did not feel that way with the Korean and Japanese arts. I was in my early teens when I made those extrapolations and I still believe it.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    jimbo
    where and from whom did you lern 8 step? did you learn for long?
    Hi, EarthDragon.
    My Mantis teacher in Taipei, Taiwan was Peng Han-Ping. Shifu Peng began his training under Liu Yun-Chiao of the Wu Tan institute (Baji), but switched to train under Wei Xiaotang for five years, until Wei died. Shifu Peng was still pretty young when Shifu Wei died. Shifu Peng also taught 7-star, but he preferred the 8-step. He also trained and taught Hung Gar and Chen Taiji, but I only learned Mantis from him. I trained with him for 4.5 years, from 1988 until I left Taiwan at the end of 1992, every day.

Prior to meeting Shifu Peng, I had trained with another 7-star Mantis teacher in Taiwan (who I won't name) for 3 years, but left because we were only taught forms.

Two years into my CLF training, I was still trying to maintain my 7-star/8-step training on my own, but realized it was too much, so I discontinued training the Mantis. Still, the training I received from Shifu Peng was invaluable. Unfortunately, in 1999, Shifu Peng died in Taiwan in a motorcycle accident.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-20-2011 at 03:52 PM.

I do Chinese martial arts and I want to do something for its namesake.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

jimbo,
    thanks for the response. Master Wei is my sigung and its very kweel you had the chance to learn in taipei form shifu Peng, Im jealous LOL.

mantis is such a tight knit group I figured I would have known your shifu or his shifu as we all come form the same lineage more or less. you should still pratice 8 step it is a great system to know, although i am biased I have not found anything that i liked or felt was superior for its fighting traits. be well
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."