Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Point Exploding

Power Point Exploding

http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/show...&postcount=524

What is Power Point Exploding?

Is that put one's entire body behind the punch or not?

Does your WCK training make you ready for Power Point Exploding?

Contracdict to some's believe ----> should the fighter miss the target, he won’t be off balance is a consideration in traditional WCK. what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post

Contracdict to some's believe ----> should the fighter miss the target, he won’t be off balance is a consideration in traditional WCK. what do you think?
    You don't put your body BEHIND the punch, instead you hit WITH your body structure. There is a difference.

In fighting, there are three types of motion used to explode one’s power. First, there’s the “Body Mechanics Exploding” motion. This type of motion uses body mechanics to move and explode one’s power. These movements involve moving the body first before punching. The second type of motion is “Distance and Speed Exploding Power.” Here, speed times the distance a strike must travel equals the power generated through the strike. The third type of motion is, "Power Point Exploding.”. This involves using a technique such as the Straight Punch to hit a target. Here, the hand moves first, followed by the body.

Wing Chun favors “Power Point Exploding” techniques like the Straight Punch for three reasons. One, a straight line is the fastest way to hit a target. Two, the reaction time with this technique is very short because unlike western style punches, the Straight Punch is never chambered; i.e. the punching arm does not have to be fully bent to generate the power needed to strike effectively. Three, should the fighter miss the target, he won’t be off balance.
    I like Gary, I like his stuff, but his comment on Western Boxing is just silly.
    Boxing punches COME chambered because that is how they are trained, from a "guard position".
    I've personally seen boxers KO guys from the following hand positions:
    Relaxed at the sides
    Cross armed
    Pointing their finger
    From holding the other guys shirt/collar
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I like Gary, I like his stuff, but his comment on Western Boxing is just silly.
    Boxing punches COME chambered because that is how they are trained, from a "guard position".
    I've personally seen boxers KO guys from the following hand positions:
    Relaxed at the sides
    Cross armed
    Pointing their finger
    From holding the other guys shirt/collar

This thread is about not about his comment on western boxing isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    You don't put your body BEHIND the punch, instead you hit WITH your body structure. There is a difference.
    That still doesnt say anything but words.

Hit with your body structure is nonsense and BS. Structure is not a momentum. I cant believe this is from a person who claim to do fighting.

The bottom line is can you do Power point exploding? if yes how?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 01-18-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    If your whole body function as one unit, when you miss the target, you may be off balance. If you attack with "disconnected" body, if you miss the target, you will not be off balance.

A good example is the "foot sweep". If you use your whole body rotation for your sweep, you may generate a lot of power but if you miss the target, you may throw yourself to the ground. If you don't use your whole body but only use your leg to sweep while your upper body remain static, if you miss the target, you will not unbalance yourself.

"connected" body movement -> generate the maximum power -> may unbalance if miss the target

"dis-connected" body movement -> generate less power -> may not unbalance if miss the target

It's a trade off issue and not a right or wrong issue IMO.

This is the difference between to apply a "solo" move vs. to apply a "combo". When you attack with "solo", you will give everything you got. If it doesn't work, you will use your "solo" move to set up your next move (combo). When you do that, you try to "dis-connect" your body parts and only use 30% of your commitment. This way it will be easier for you to borrow your opponent's resistence force and reverse you attacking direction.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-18-2011 at 03:19 PM.

This thread is about not about his comment on western boxing isnt it?
    Well dont refer to his article to begin with, and then choose what parts you feel should be commented on

Are you being selective again????

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    only if you're a pedantic halfwit. IN fact, as your body structure doesn't actually come into contact with the target, you DON'T actually hit with it, but use the mass behind it to drive you punch into the man like a hammer hitting a nail.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

Quote Originally Posted by shawchemical View Post
    only if you're a pedantic halfwit. IN fact, as your body structure doesn't actually come into contact with the target, you DON'T actually hit with it, but use the mass behind it to drive you punch into the man like a hammer hitting a nail.
    Actually id agree with T here.

If you throwing a WC punch (which will be at close range) theres the chance you'll collide with something on the way to the target (more than likely his arm). If you dont have structure all the way through the punch, and then collide with his arm, you risk the chance of him collapsing you structure and the arms collide.
    And the flip side of that is, if you do have that collision (with structure) you then are in the position to control him
    GlennR

yes

infact one could say that the timing of 3 actions are to coincide and be this focus point of attacking entry, to us anyway. Dynamic body momentum, timed with the execution from chi-sao timing of ,for example pak da, and alignment/distances to make it all work....WITH body weight in motion and not leaning, swaying the axis line...not easy.

There are three types of power/momentum in the article.
    We all might like to think we are doing Power Point Explosion but in the reality we might doing the first or second type.

So, how to know if one is doing type 1, 2, or 3?

the differences are that momentum is used in the first 2, the 3rd if you need to generate force from loss of momentum, ie inch ging, po-pai, to recover back to 1 & 2...if the body is in motion and the leading elbow is centered we harness the mass of the body behind it, open the elbows and we lose all the er, heavenly glory. we can always harness the body by centering the leading elbow behind the fist, ergo SLT....or why we spend so much time putting our elbows near to the center we use to define our spatial awareness of the system.

Again, it's about distance. What Gary talks about with power point exploding (moving the fist first and then the body) - is one way to strike at close range - the wing chun way. Not the only way to generate power at close range - but it's the wing chun way and it works.

FROM THAT RANGE.

Try that from a longer distance and you have nothing.

For me, it is all boils down to

P= momentum = mass * speed

So, since one's body weight is assume constant there are three cases

1, one speed up the body to get the momentum, and then thrust out via the arm/hand. Similar to Hung Gar or CLF or ect.... case in general.

2, One speed up and built up the momentum simultaneously while in the path toward the target. Similar to boxing case...etc

3, One do fast acceleration to generate the momentum and transfer to the point of contact at the request of the hand/contact point at the instant of need. similar to TCMA IMA or Yee Chuan...

So, actually the 3 or the power point explosion is extremely dependent on acceleration to reach the speed needed from 0 to X meter /s^2 or speed up with a very short distance. The key is the acceleration not the mass. Thus, it is not the solid structure or not the body weight or the body behind or the elbow.

Thus, if you look at the WCk's kuen kuit, it says Kuen Choong Sum Fatt or punch issue from heart. it uses issue not hit or crush or thrust or throw out like Hung Gar or ClF....etc

Thus, for me, if anyone is not aware of how one accelerate, then it says one is doing 1 or 2 and not 3. because 3 needs fast acceleration.

and this fast acceleration actually is accord to the name of WCK keng or jin or power. as it called Chuk Keng or Fast power or Fast Jin or high speed power. accelerate, speed up with a very short distance power.

Thus, I never buy those claim of putting entire body behind the strike or elbow behind....etc. those are nice but other art such as Hung Gar did that too. Hung GAr even have better horse power since Hung Gar's speciality is the waist and stance or yiu ma. WCK doesnt do that, because wCK is a fast accelerate art. and fast accelerate art needs a dynamic structure different then the Hung gar or CLF structure....

What i am interested in is How do you do fast acceleration?

So, my bottom line is if you cant tell me how you accelerate, you dont have it. and if you tell me it is your hip as in Shotokan karate or Hung Gar, then I said that is not acceleration that is a push to move the body then crash out via the hand. it is not at contact one suddently send out a pulse to the hand as the hand's request.

So, does this matter? yes, because with 1 and 2 one can be easily high jack or intercept, as for 3, intercept is difficult because it is already contact. and 3 is not limited to hand, practically any point of contact can use to issue the pulse. only then we talk real 1850 WCK. and look at today's world, just sorry to say that art is lost or has been greatly distorted.

Check it out and see what I say fit what is going on.

and due to the way high speed acceleration is needed Dynamic flow structure which is implemented by the six directional force vectors and snake engine is needed. Take a look, in Taiji they use the Taiji sphere and the string of pears concept to implement the 6 D F V and snake engine, The Yee Chuan using the six direction force and the micro body awareness...... the list can goes on, that just tell us how TCMA IMA has evolved in handling the momentum.

In conclusion, i have not said punch like Hung gar or CLF or Boxing cannot blow the heck out of one, I am said, they are different and using different type of momentum. and different art has a different power/momentum signature which fit their art.

Nothing good or bad but one needs to know what the world one is doing.

So, to make us all feel great, guess what, that wrist snap is the fast acceleration. and ofcouse this also lead to we are the decendent of the Fujian White Crane because that is the White Crane power generation type in the past 400 years of China which is call Inch power from the Joints or Chun Jin Chier Lik in mandarin --- it is the game of high speed acceleration. So to destroy solid structure one doesnt need the entire body behind it. in WCK, one needs only that fast acceleration which is WCK's speciality or uniqueness.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 01-18-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shawchemical View Post

refer to my previous post, hammer and nail analogy is great however one still have to solve how could one accelerated the hammer issue. otherwise it becomes a Hammer pushing nail not hit the nail case.

So, how do one accelerate?