Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Public education in Texas faces massive cuts

come on blue... first, you should know by now that im not a liberal... second, i never said guns shouldnt be legal, not once... i do feel they are far too accessable but thats another convo alltogether...

and then theres the welfare trap... this isnt because of welfare, its because of poverty... thats the root issue here, not the cheque they get that keeps them somewhat fed, but not very well, somewhat clothed and somewhat housed... yeah some take it further and ,ake money illegally on the side, but again, thats a poverty issue, not a welfare one... dont attack the bandage that is trying to soak up the blood, dont blame the weapon that made the wound. blame the poeple that created the wounds, that facilitated a time and place in which this would actually happen...

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    Maybe marriage is a spiritual and moral choice but male regard for preventing pregnancy occurence and female control to prevent having more babies can be practiced by anyone.
    If those babies did not have a substantial paycheck coming with them, they would not be born in such numbers. If they did not get a check per baby, you would be seeing poor people practicing birth control religiously.
    well then chinas polulation must make you want to puke huh... and what does marriage have to do with being able to afford a baby???

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    well then chinas polulation must make you want to puke huh... and what does marriage have to do with being able to afford a baby???
    China's population makes EVERYONE want to puke! Lol!

Your example country has laws penalizing the overproduction of young! If America did that - can you imagine the population reduction we would enjoy?

Marriage does not necessarily indicate financial capability, it denotes premeditated intention and goals.
    I was saying that I didn't think marriage is a cure for unwanted or enterprising pregnancy in and of itself.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Your example country has laws penalizing the overproduction of young! If America did that - can you imagine the population reduction we would enjoy?

Marriage does not necessarily indicate financial capability, it denotes premeditated intention and goals.
    I was saying that I didn't think marriage is a cure for unwanted or enterprising pregnancy in and of itself.
    Controlling family size is a pretty big move towards communism.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Controlling family size is a pretty big move towards communism.
    Indeed. That's why in our country it would have to be financially based ie if your family size doesn't match your last year's tax return, you owe more taxes.

When we needed industrial workers, families got a tax break per child. Now we do not need more children and so there would more likely be a extra tax after you had more children than you could support.

(Except in our country the people that create the most unwanted children and consume most tax monies don't pay taxes, so something would have to be developed.)

But yes - such a move would have to be American style after our politics and culture. I do not see it happening, especially with this administration, but if it did...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Because that's exactly what you did, right...?
    My sex life is no one's business. I will say I have no children born or conceived out of wedlock.

Maybe marriage is a spiritual and moral choice but male regard for preventing pregnancy occurence and female control to prevent having more babies can be practiced by anyone.
    If those babies did not have a substantial paycheck coming with them, they would not be born in such numbers. If they did not get a check per baby, you would be seeing poor people practicing birth control religiously.
    Exactly!!!

And this is what the responsible 'community activists' say. It's natural for women to look for a provider for their children. It's been done since the dawn of time. But since the Gov't will be a provider financially for children, women no longer have to look for it in a man. Of course they are too ignorant, or flat out don't care, to look for a man who will provide for his children in other ways necessary and teach his sons to be men and to look out for his daughters as only a father can.

come on blue... first, you should know by now that im not a liberal... second, i never said guns shouldnt be legal, not once... i do feel they are far too accessable but thats another convo alltogether...
    I didn't say you specifically said it, but you must admit that's the argument every liberal makes regarding gun control.

Where do you place yourself politically, if you don't mind me asking?

and then theres the welfare trap... this isnt because of welfare, its because of poverty... thats the root issue here, not the cheque they get that keeps them somewhat fed, but not very well, somewhat clothed and somewhat housed... yeah some take it further and ,ake money illegally on the side, but again, thats a poverty issue, not a welfare one... dont attack the bandage that is trying to soak up the blood, dont blame the weapon that made the wound. blame the poeple that created the wounds, that facilitated a time and place in which this would actually happen...
    When you have no incentive to do something, it's natural for some people to not bother to do it. If the Government sent people out everyday to tie people's shoes, there would be alot of people who wouldn't bother to learn how to tie shoes.

If you told people, 'If you cannot provide for your children, they go hungry' you can darn well bet the number of children born to parents unable to financially support them would go down. Look at the percentage of kids born out of wedlock before vs after the War on Poverty. It's amazing, and quite sad. I truly feel the #1 factor for successful parenting is for children to be raised by a responsible father and a responsible mother.

its not fair to say all welfare recipients have babies just for another cheque... thats like saying all black people in the hood are criminals of sorts...

maybe, just maybe, if there were more opportunities for young low income women, then just maybe they would have their eyes on a different prize... as it stands they dont have much of anything, having a child is fullfilling in alot of ways, even if you cant afford it...

so you deny their right to reproduce because of the class they were born to??? they get stuck having to play in a rich mans world and have slim chances of getting out of that trap and you want to take away what may be the only fullfilling thing they can still do???

and when its kids having kids, kids are stupid.... rich poor it doesnt matter, they all do dumb sh1t... its just the rich ones get bailed out by mommy or daddy and the poor one has to fall back on the system... so the sh1thead that stays under they rich mommas skirt deserves more than the poor woman who just happened to be born in a different class???

address the poverty issue and the rest just goes away... its that simple... what isnt simple is the poverty issue itself... too many people see it too differently to make any real change... as long as the US remains devided, these problems are gonna just grow and grow untill it either blows up and makes a huge mess or people actually come together and create positive change in this area...

poor people outnumber the rich... lets not forget the bastille... if it gets bad enough the mob will tear down anyone and everyone with any sort of wealth and no amount of guns and tanks will stop it... cant kill em all... like vietnam, or iraq... it will be a losing battle from the get go...
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-21-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    I didn't say you specifically said it, but you must admit that's the argument every liberal makes regarding gun control.

Where do you place yourself politically, if you don't mind me asking?

When you have no incentive to do something, it's natural for some people to not bother to do it. If the Government sent people out everyday to tie people's shoes, there would be alot of people who wouldn't bother to learn how to tie shoes.

i already answered that question... im a political independant in every sense of the word... party politics mean nothing to me... but the consequences do matter and i dont mind discussing that... and i realise this may be a revolutionary thought for you, but i deal with each issue seperately and i try not to compare apples to oranges... like trans fats and guns for example...

i agree, without incentive, without hope, its easy to just give up... so instead of saying "you aint sh1t so stop making babies and spend the rest of your life scrounging"... instead how bout we say "here are some opportunities, if there is any way i can help get you and your fam outta the welfare trap, just let me know."

which is the moral choice? which is the most productive choice??? which choice better suits the majority and which choice suits a very small handful of very wealthy people???

you know, there was a time when kings didnt live all that differently than the rest of their tribe... but now the kings dont share like they used to... but hey thats communist... an evil evil idea... in america it is your god given right to keep all the water in your own jar while watching people die of thirst... thats not what the american way was supposed to be...
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-21-2011 at 02:08 PM.

ignorance is bliss
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

I WAS going to take that pile of stereotypes and platitudes posted on point by point...but to be honest, it is totally clear that the preconceptions about how other people live and the issues are so sop****ric as to not be worth the time.

The ideas presented show that certain people have never stepped outside of their own limited socioeconomic levels for any period of time, have never experienced hardships, have never experienced first hand the impact of illness, mental illness, drug abuse, mistakes, and so on.

I sincerely hope that people with such attitudes do not also profess to be Christians as such attitudes are antithetical to that religious beliefs.

I am constantly amazed at such people's ability to stereotype, label, and spout their opinions that are prepackaged and given to them by others.

I could go on but frankly, it is a waste of my time. The last time I did this, it took about 6 pages for said person to show their inconsistencies and disprove their own arguments.

[QUOTE=GLW;1073999]I could go on but frankly, it is a waste of my time. QUOTE]

Thank you.
    It has gotten pretty far from the original topic....which I still agree with. Only a complete moron would cash a FED check thesed days without going over the funky strings with a fine toothed comb.

Some things to think about when assessing education in the US:

Changes in Education
    Many complain that the US educational system has fallen behind other developed countries. This is true. However, are you aware how radically education has changed in the last four decades?

I am in my early fifties. When I was in school (60s & 70s), kids on the "college track" began studying Algebra in the ninth grade. Today algebra is begun in the third grade. Most parents with only a high school education are unable to help their child with math after sixth or seventh grade. Third graders are taught about variables. Fourth graders learn exponents. Fifth graders learn how to solve expressions and the order of operations. Sixth graders learn graphing, solving inequalities, scientific notation, and the use of positive and negative integers. Lost yet? How many of these concepts could you teach your child?

The Impact of Financial Cuts on Education
    With cuts in education, usually the first financial cuts applied are in teachers specializing in elementary art and music. The second area cut is teacher's aides, cafeteria and playground assistants, special service therapies, tutors, counselors and teachers. Less teachers means larger class sizes. The loss of teacher's aides means less one on one guided learning. The loss of tutors means less help for academically struggling students.

Educational Benefits for the Economically Disadvantaged
    Students who come from an economically disadvantaged background are given benefits not provided for those in the middle and upper classes. For example:
    1. Headstart for pre-school children,
    2. Free breakfasts and lunches,
    3. Waivers for school fees,
    4. State and Federal grants to provide tutoring,
    5. Points added to qualify for Title One programs.

How YOU Can Help

Here are some suggestions my wife, a sixth grade teacher of students with learning disabilities, has to offer:
    1. Volunteer in an elementary classroom.
    2. Volunteer to read, or listen to children read in the classroom.
    3. Serve in the local PTA, or Boy's and Girl's Clubs.
    4. Attend school board meetings to keep in touch with what is going on in your local school system.
    5. Offer to speak to your child's class on your particular vocational or hobby expertise. For example, I have taught scientific principles through demonstrations of martial arts skills for science classes and spoken about Judaism during World History classes. Teachers LOVE parents who are willing to make a positive impact in the classroom.

There are no easy answers for our educational dilemma. However, we can be a part of the solution.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 01-22-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

I like that you are talking about people being a quality part of doing something for themselves. That is usually when you get rid of the hot air bags who just want to have a opinion without being realistic or accountable.

Plus, it is always very gratifying to see when work and solutions are offered and big mouth dregs carry themselves away in great haste

I'm not sure about points for a title program but there should be no handicap or "free" points added. It is bad psychology for all kids when we just "give" a level or privelege that others had to earn. The one that thinks they got something for nothing becomes a pattern failure and cheat while the one that had to earn what they got is bewildered. Rewards without merit not only doesn't last, it has negative side effects.

But at the botom line I think parents are better off to consider themselves primarily responcible and the public school as a helping entity because it can't manage, be trusted or provide everything they need anymore on it's own. You have to supplement your kid's learning and be a watchdog that they are even learning worthwhile things that will give them a competative edge in their life.

Nobody wants to pay taxes or support anything unless it directly benefits them. Stupid, selfish, and irresponsible behavior. It takes a village to raise a child. Gain a sense of community and common vision, and drop the selfish, memememe attitude. Pay your stupid taxes so your stupid roads, schools, and way of life can be maintained.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"