Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Public education in Texas faces massive cuts

Funny, it didn't take a village to raise a child when parents were worth something?
    Now they all say "Hey village! Raise my kid, because I am working on another marriage and doing my thing!"
    No, whoops, it's "It takes a village to raise a child".....not mine.
    I spent my time telling my kids that just because the world acts that way is no excuse and no help for them.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    its not fair to say all welfare recipients have babies just for another cheque... thats like saying all black people in the hood are criminals of sorts...

maybe, just maybe, if there were more opportunities for young low income women, then just maybe they would have their eyes on a different prize... as it stands they dont have much of anything, having a child is fullfilling in alot of ways, even if you cant afford it...

so you deny their right to reproduce because of the class they were born to??? they get stuck having to play in a rich mans world and have slim chances of getting out of that trap and you want to take away what may be the only fullfilling thing they can still do???

and when its kids having kids, kids are stupid.... rich poor it doesnt matter, they all do dumb sh1t... its just the rich ones get bailed out by mommy or daddy and the poor one has to fall back on the system... so the sh1thead that stays under they rich mommas skirt deserves more than the poor woman who just happened to be born in a different class???

address the poverty issue and the rest just goes away... its that simple... what isnt simple is the poverty issue itself... too many people see it too differently to make any real change... as long as the US remains devided, these problems are gonna just grow and grow untill it either blows up and makes a huge mess or people actually come together and create positive change in this area...
    As much as you might hate to admit it, Blue isn't entirely wrong. While he does fall short in acknowledging the overall mess that it is to fight you way out of poverty and all the social issues that come into play, there are a lot of people that simply choose to take advantage of it in their own ways. Meaning working the entitlement system. If you think there aren't, you're just as blind in your own side. And I have grown up in some of those areas, between SoCal and a couple places in the SE. I am one bad turn from being homeless (and was already for a short time once). You know what the irony is? I joined the military and worked my ass off to escape that. But now that I left the military and get to cash in on my benefits to further my education, I technically have no income but I have more money in the bank than I ever had before. Now I'm working my ass off just as much in my education (you know getting into med school ain't easy). But the fact that I'm not really contributing back, but still living comfortably and relatively stress free...it can be tempting. And there are a lot of people that take advantage. Why? Because in their world, they are living comfortable. Ghettos suck, they really do. But on the other hand, I really could get by and "survive" and just go play basketball all day. And I wouldn't be lacking in company around here. Of course, I suck at basketball...

As to the children. From a "cold" scientific point of view (meaning, not really based in any human emotion or notion of morality from whatever source: religion whatever), from a strictly biological view, yes it would be better for the species to restrict reproduction from those without the means to support their offspring. Anytime an organism is introduced to an environment, it is a strain on the whole. "Village to raise a child" and all that. Seeing as how I do not look at humanity much different than any other organism, I see no reason we should not be subject to the same laws of nature (and in fact we are as much as people try to fight it). Any other organism, if it exceeds the sustaining capacity, its members die. And as much as people may hate me to say it, may rail at my lack of humanity or whatever. The species as a whole would probably be better off to let a number of those without means to simply die off. The most logical being the places already in trouble (ie. with the least resources to sustain its current populations). Now, will we do that? No, of course not. But it would be the simplest and most readily achievable solution to the problem. A lot of problems actually. No parasite intends to kill its host, that would just be foolish. But we are bound by our evolution (technology included). And we are slowly killing ours. Kinda like Trypanosoma. We do our best not to hurt our host, but eventually we'll just be too much for the system to handle. Well, that's my morbid thought for the day...

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    Funny, it didn't take a village to raise a child when parents were worth something?
    Now they all say "Hey village! Raise my kid, because I am working on another marriage and doing my thing!"
    No, whoops, it's "It takes a village to raise a child".....not mine.
    I spent my time telling my kids that just because the world acts that way is no excuse and no help for them.
    It's actually an ancient African proverb, and has been used throughout American history. No sense of community and every man for himself? Is that your approach?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    It's actually an ancient African proverb, and has been used throughout American history. No sense of community and every man for himself? Is that your approach?
    The greater our means to come together, the further we push apart. I blame texting...

It's actually an ancient African proverb...
    Do you know what this phrase actually means? I mean besides the spin Hillary Clinton put on it during her husband's presidency?

Let me share the experience of a friend of mine who was born in Sierra Leone in the 1950s. Francis was the child of a man who had ten wives. Francis was one of sixty children fathered by this man and his ten wives. Francis' family WAS a village. And yes, it did take ten wives to raise sixty children. Do you really think they had time to raise any other "village's" children? That is the "ancient African proverb" in its historical and cultural context.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    As much as you might hate to admit it, Blue isn't entirely wrong.
    you know that saying that goes "better to let fifty guilty men go free than to put one innocent man in prison."

i agree its a problem, but cutting everyone off isnt the solution...

also, its a bit different up here, but the core issues are pretty much the same...

and moooyingmantis.... wherever that saying came from, the way i was taught to understand it was that a whole community is involved in raising kids in that community... they will be influenced by friends whos parents dont think like you, from teachers, weird fam members at xmas and so on...

what spin did hillhill put on it??? that woman sure takes alot of liberties in her interpretations on so many issues...

and moooyingmantis.... wherever that saying came from, the way i was taught to understand it was that a whole community is involved in raising kids in that community... they will be influenced by friends whos parents dont think like you, from teachers, weird fam members at xmas and so on...

what spin did hillhill put on it??? that woman sure takes alot of liberties in her interpretations on so many issues...
    Hillary made the saying popular and interpreted as you explained it.

I was just putting it back in its historical/cultural background.

Frankly, I don't want my "village" raising my child. In fact, I believe that is part of the problem today, because we have allowed it to happen.

Since both parents are working in many families, children are raised in their most important years of moral development by Headstart, preschool and the other children that they are thrown together with. Parents aren't there to monitor what goes into their children's little eyes and little ears.

As I look around my middle-class neighborhood, I see teenage girls from two families who have already contracted genital herpes, a man who beats his live-in girlfriend on a semi-regular basis, a registered sex offender who lives on the next block, and several children around my son's age that are on ritalin because of their behaviour. Do I really want this village raising my child? Not really!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

no doubt... if you arent active enough in your childs life, who knows what they learn at other peoples houses and whatnot... to me the answer is really simple... just be there... it gets complicated when you are like a single working mom but you need to bring in gramma or something... just be there, listen, learn, guide...

my mother was a single working mom when i was little... but i never went to daycare, not ever... family and friends picked up the slack... i spent most of the time when my mom was at work with her twin sister who was a stay at home mom/in house hairdresser... there was always somebody i knew very well taking care of me...
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-23-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    As I look around my middle-class neighborhood, I see teenage girls from two families who have already contracted genital herpes, a man who beats his live-in girlfriend on a semi-regular basis, a registered sex offender who lives on the next block, and several children around my son's age that are on ritalin because of their behaviour. Do I really want this village raising my child? Not really!

and what chance do their kids ever have??? its a miracle that some kids from fam like that actually end up being doctors and sh1t...

uugghh ritalin... lets not even go there, lol... tooo much man, toooo much... dope em up, shut em up, lock em up...

African or not, it has not been used throughout American history! (lol!) Why did you even try that?
    "They celebrated Kwanza right after we signed the declaration!"

NUTS!
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

and i realise this may be a revolutionary thought for you, but i deal with each issue seperately and i try not to compare apples to oranges... like trans fats and guns for example...
    I have no idea why you'd say it might be a revolutionary thought for me to deal with issues separately. I'm the one who people say is a blind shill for the GOP, yet I'm for drugs and prostitution being legalized and anti-death penalty, hardly GOP positions.

I judge every issue separately, but I pretty much fall on the side of small, hands off Government and the rights of the individual first and foremost on issues.

i agree, without incentive, without hope, its easy to just give up... so instead of saying "you aint sh1t so stop making babies and spend the rest of your life scrounging"... instead how bout we say "here are some opportunities, if there is any way i can help get you and your fam outta the welfare trap, just let me know."
    Which is how conservatism works. Of course we believe the smaller the Government, the more opportunities people will have. I've seen an industry massively grow in a small amount of time, high tech in the early to mid 1990s. During that time you saw people hired who would not have been qualified a few years before, but the industry grew so fast that these people were given opportunities. Capitialism is not this evil thing it's made out to be. The more the ecomony grows, the more jobs are out there. And the more freedom given to the private sector, the easier it is for them to grow. It's not a hard concept to grasp imo.

you know, there was a time when kings didnt live all that differently than the rest of their tribe... but now the kings dont share like they used to... but hey thats communist... an evil evil idea... in america it is your god given right to keep all the water in your own jar while watching people die of thirst... thats not what the american way was supposed to be...
    It's not that the kings don't share, it's that they've become disconnected that's the problem. When you are passing important legislation and openly admitting you didn't bother to read it before voting on it, that's not good. It's actually frightfully similar to Rome before they fell. Politics became a game, those involved stopped caring about how legislation affected the country and the people, they just cared about whether they 'won' or 'lost' politically and **** the country.

As to Americans getting "to keep all the water in your own jar while watching people die of thirst" thats actually exactly how America is supposed to be. You may not like hearing it, but it is what it is. The Constitution grants every one of us the freedom to do as we please (legally of course) with our money. If you choose to donate massive amounts of your money to bums, that's your business. But if someone like me chooses to put my family first, that is also my right. But in no way does it call for We The People to take care of huge segments of our population.

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    African or not, it has not been used throughout American history! (lol!) Why did you even try that?
    "They celebrated Kwanza right after we signed the declaration!"

NUTS!
    It HAS. Do your research.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

That is arguable although I have heard it attributed to an African proverb from Nigeria, but I have heard it attributed to native americans as well.

I don't think it is 100% clear and it is one of those quotes that is timeless and seemingly true, but it's hard to say where it came from without source literature.
    Like say a ****ens quote or Shakespeare etc.

fwiw, kwanza didn't exist until 1966 and was created by an american for americans.

an also, most unattributable phrases will be claimed by whoever knows they are not clear source wise more often than not.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"DICKENS? is censored?

I can say ass without using the workaround but not dick? (which I did just use the work around for )

come on Gene, have the powers that be remove that from the list, it's irritating and guys named richard are probably perplexed as to why they cannot say their short name here. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Suck my ****ens!
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown