Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Public education in Texas faces massive cuts

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    I have no idea why you'd say it might be a revolutionary thought for me to deal with issues separately. I'm the one who people say is a blind shill for the GOP, yet I'm for drugs and prostitution being legalized and anti-death penalty, hardly GOP positions.

I judge every issue separately, but I pretty much fall on the side of small, hands off Government and the rights of the individual first and foremost on issues.

Which is how conservatism works. Of course we believe the smaller the Government, the more opportunities people will have. I've seen an industry massively grow in a small amount of time, high tech in the early to mid 1990s. During that time you saw people hired who would not have been qualified a few years before, but the industry grew so fast that these people were given opportunities. Capitialism is not this evil thing it's made out to be. The more the ecomony grows, the more jobs are out there. And the more freedom given to the private sector, the easier it is for them to grow. It's not a hard concept to grasp imo.

It's not that the kings don't share, it's that they've become disconnected that's the problem. When you are passing important legislation and openly admitting you didn't bother to read it before voting on it, that's not good. It's actually frightfully similar to Rome before they fell. Politics became a game, those involved stopped caring about how legislation affected the country and the people, they just cared about whether they 'won' or 'lost' politically and **** the country.

As to Americans getting "to keep all the water in your own jar while watching people die of thirst" thats actually exactly how America is supposed to be. You may not like hearing it, but it is what it is. The Constitution grants every one of us the freedom to do as we please (legally of course) with our money. If you choose to donate massive amounts of your money to bums, that's your business. But if someone like me chooses to put my family first, that is also my right. But in no way does it call for We The People to take care of huge segments of our population.
    theories are all good, but if you take away all welfare money and shrink government those theories wont feed babies today and tomorrow... so you need to create the jobs and then get rid of welfare, not the other way around... nothing else will fly... i dont think anyone wants welfare around forever... its a bandaid, not a solution... so instead of attacking the bandaid, attack whatever created those wounds in the first place and create an environment that doesnt need the welfare bandaid... so far i havent heard any real solutions, just the same old he said she said political garbage...
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-24-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    theories are all good, but if you take away all welfare money and shrink government those theories wont feed babies today and tomorrow... so you need to create the jobs and then get rid of welfare, not the other way around... nothing else will fly... i dont think anyone wants welfare around forever... its a bandaid, not a solution... so instead of attacking the bandaid, attack whatever created those wounds in the first place and create an environment that doesnt need the welfare bandaid... so far i havent heard any real solutions, just the same old he said she said political garbage...
    I agree with alot of that. We obviously can't just get rid of it on a dime. But it keeps growing and growing and it shows no indication of it ever shrinking/getting better. And God help anyone who dares mentioning reforming/fixing/shrinking it.

I will say this, you watch the next two years closely, especially tonight and the next few days. If the GOP mentions reforming ANY entitlement, the Democrats will say the same things they've said for 20+ years, 'You guys want to starve children', 'You guys want old people to choose between eating and medical care', 'You guys created homelessness and now you want even more people starving in the streets', and on and on. I'm not exactly being Nostradamus here, I'm just observing their past behavior. And I'd hope you agree that kind of rhetoric is not helping fix the problem one bit.

I agree with alot of that. We obviously can't just get rid of it on a dime. But it keeps growing and growing and it shows no indication of it ever shrinking/getting better. And God help anyone who dares mentioning reforming/fixing/shrinking it.

I will say this, you watch the next two years closely, especially tonight and the next few days. If the GOP mentions reforming ANY entitlement, the Democrats will say the same things they've said for 20+ years, 'You guys want to starve children', 'You guys want old people to choose between eating and medical care', 'You guys created homelessness and now you want even more people starving in the streets', and on and on. I'm not exactly being Nostradamus here, I'm just observing their past behavior. And I'd hope you agree that kind of rhetoric is not helping fix the problem one bit.
    well republicans have had the majority of control on the executive branch in the last 40 years... why didnt they fix it???

well republicans have had the majority of control on the executive branch in the last 40 years... why didnt they fix it???
    Because once the Democrats use that rhetoric I mentioned, they lose their resolve. It happens over and over. And remember, those receiving the entitlements are eligible voters. It's just that now we are dead broke and we have to make cuts, and many are calling for cuts in entitlements.

Again, I've put my predictions out there for all to see. I'm convinced I'll be correct, but I fully understand if the Democrats actually argue the issue itself and dont use their normal fear-mongering rhetoric, I'll be called out for being wrong.

Because once the Democrats use that rhetoric I mentioned, they lose their resolve. It happens over and over. And remember, those receiving the entitlements are eligible voters. It's just that now we are dead broke and we have to make cuts, and many are calling for cuts in entitlements.

Again, I've put my predictions out there for all to see. I'm convinced I'll be correct, but I fully understand if the Democrats actually argue the issue itself and dont use their normal fear-mongering rhetoric, I'll be called out for being wrong.
    well, if the accusations are false, just show them as such and trust the american people to be smart enough to make the right choices at the ballot box... or do you not believe in the average american?

well, if the accusations are false, just show them as such and trust the american people to be smart enough to make the right choices at the ballot box... or do you not believe in the average american?
    I'm addressing the rhetoric itself, not whether it's effective or not.

We just had a political Party blame political rhetoric for a tragedy, yet they are the same Party that say certain people want to starve children and force old people to eat dog food. That's incindiary rhetoric if I've heard it.

Do you condemn such rhetoric?

As to the ballot box, I clearly stated that those receiving entitlements are voters as well. FYI, I do not consider welfare recipients to be 'average Americans', but they are a large voting bloc that sadly cannot be ignored.

I did not think anyone ever meant to fix it. I think it was seen as something that would take it's natural course and eventually fail.
    I think those who did it at that time were fixing it for them, knowing that this is what it would most likely come to. (a bit like antibiotics which are currently ni trouble too - it had a predestined poop-out)

That is what I think would profit the struggling people most right now - to discover, learn, plant, preserve and establish very basic things to help them on their own initiative for hteir own sake.

It seems to me if you have expensive welfare then you just crunch it down until people have to live in camps and poor farms and the money they do get is recirculated "on their behalf".

We have had three things in this country in just the last 100 years people alive today can't believe:
    1) Depression to the extent of no money or food in areas - and when they went to other areas, there were people with guns saying "you can't stop here"

2) Starvation. Not hunger, but people dying of starvation.

3) Poor "Farms" where homeless people go or are sent and it usually seems worse....

So I feel like you maybe make some good enough arguments in a situation where the logic or outcomes were similar - but I think we just say that for politially correct and don't put the stories on the news.

It's time in zone 7 for onions, lettude and peas if you keep the frost off of them.....

Here we are on a kung fu forum, talking about the few and the many.......I am sure a monk would spend careful time on his garden and stores in a season like this.
    If people want to do more than "complain about the man" and actually help people they are sympathetic to, they should plant victory gardens BIG TIME and get ready to help people learn to make good food with little of nothing as well as maybe prepare for a soup kitchen. That too has been done before in this country and it was literally all some people had for a few years....

The thing that freaks me out the most is that when this happened last time, MOST people were just one step off of a farm even if they were in town. They had food knowledge and skills as well as tons of "make it your self" kung fu.
    NOW, MOST people don't know how to milk and make butter. They don't know how to preserve the food they do acquire or how to produce more. The majority have been urban for enough generations to lose all regular earth living skills and capability at a time when there are at least ten times more than before too.
    Last edited by curenado; 01-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    I did not think anyone ever meant to fix it. I think it was seen as something that would take it's natural course and eventually fail.
    I think those who did it at that time were fixing it for them, knowing that this is what it would most likely come to. (a bit like antibiotics which are currently ni trouble too - it had a predestined poop-out)
    I read a book once called "Inside the White House". The authors sourced Secret Service agents, cooks, the White House barbers, staffers, cleaning staffs, etc for the book and it covered Administrations from Kennedy to Clinton's first term. If you read what LBJ said in private about why he signed the Civil Rights Act you would be disgusted, but really not surpised if you knew anything about LBJ as a person.

Also, make sure you read my thread about Austin's school budget problem.

there would be alot more money for education in general if the US hadnt deregulated the banks... like, "oh they wont take stupid risks, they will be honest... its thier right to run thier business as they see fit... thats whats best for the country..."

well... that sure worked out didnt it... the financial crisis inquiry commission was very adamant that this economic meltdown was preventable, foreseeable and was caused by human action, inaction and misjudgement... not the kind of misjudgement where you make a mitske, but the kind where you make a judgement that you know is good for you and bad for everyone else...

this is a bi partisan problem... started by the bush administration and continued by the obama admin... i mean, paulson and gietner arent so different...

read the financial crisis inquiry commissions report... its brutal...

The situation in San Antonio is becoming severe. The NEISD superintendent is talking about laying off 500 teachers.

there would be alot more money for education in general if the US hadnt deregulated the banks... like, "oh they wont take stupid risks, they will be honest... its thier right to run thier business as they see fit... thats whats best for the country..."
    And we wouldn't have had anyone willing to take risks, ie buying junk mortgages, if the Gov't hadn't guaranteed said mortgages. There is plenty of blame to go around, so just sticking it all on the banks is flat-out worng.

well... that sure worked out didnt it... the financial crisis inquiry commission was very adamant that this economic meltdown was preventable, foreseeable and was caused by human action, inaction and misjudgement... not the kind of misjudgement where you make a mitske, but the kind where you make a judgement that you know is good for you and bad for everyone else...
    Agreed. But the bad judgement at the foundation of the problem were idiots buying houses with ARMs they could not afford. Of course there were other mistakes caused by humans, but had there been no idiots buying houses they couldn't afford, the problem would never have happened. IMO, that was the core problem.

And yes, I was offered an ARM. My response was to say 'No' and find a new realtor.

this is a bi partisan problem... started by the bush administration and continued by the obama admin... i mean, paulson and gietner arent so different...
    It started before them. Carter signed in the Community Reinvestment Act, which FORCED banks to make a certain percentage of high risk morgages, and Clinton deregulated more than any other recent President. Bush actually tried to put new regulations in effect in 2004, but was stopped by Congressional Democrats playing the race card, as Franklin Raines (the CEO of Fannie Mae) was black. I've repeatedly posted the YouTube clip of the Congressional hearings in 2004, and will do so again if you ask. Video doesn't lie.

As to Obama, he is for tougher regulation. My only fear is he will go too far, and thus hurt banks abilities to operate, make profits, etc. And lets be honest, so far his record on economic issues has been pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by zhugeliang View Post
    The situation in San Antonio is becoming severe. The NEISD superintendent is talking about laying off 500 teachers.
    Hopefully they don't have to start closing high perfoming schools like AISD is seriously considering doing to close the budget gap, while adhering to the 'Robin Hood laws' signed into law by Democrat Ann Richards.

so tell me... WTF is up with lil kids getting charged with misdemeanors for being disruptive in class??? just heard about that one girl who was being bullied, kids say she smells bad so she put on some perfume or something... i guess she did the whole italian shower thang, coz apparently it was distracting the class and sure enough police were called and she was charged and fined... no hearing, just guilty, pay the fine and sit down and shut the fukc up...

GOOD JOB TEXAS... the great state it is...

funny how its always republican states that get involved in criminalizing children for profit.... i mean, those for profit prisons for children that were being filled by those paid off judges, they werent democrats...

not to say dems dont have their own issues, but criminalizing babies doesnt seem to be on their radar the same way it is with the right... and dont come at me with what dems do wrong coz im not defending them...

criminalizing childish behavious in children is just wrong.... nothing good will come of this... atleast not for the proletariat...

275,000 class C misdemeanors handed out to children as young as 6...

good job texas... i had no idea it was this bad... man we have it good where im at... i can sit on a bench on a well groomed avenue and smoke a cone and the police will just gawk and keep on moving... now thats freedom... and honestly, i feel we have little freedom in reality, so where does that put texas???

Don't act like Texas has the market cornered on this foolishness of freaking out when kids misbehave. It happens everywhere. Also, this is not up the State, it's up to the individual school districts.

Also, I don't recall Texas having any school shootings despite the fact there are plenty of Republicans and guns in this State. Heck, when I went to high school (and I graduated in 1990), we had several guys who carried their rifles in gun racks in their trucks at school.