Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Rank,..or Not to Rank?

don bohrer Guest

belts

In our school belts have become a reward for many of the students. This is a very dangerous precedent and a hard one to break! In my experience younger children like to blast through techniques and get bored easy. Children and teens want to be praised and rewarded. It doesn't matter if it is deserved or not. It's the gold star mentallity.
    However I do think belts are a valid measurement of progress, but only if the test are real. Honest standards along with hard work is what makes someone proud to wear that rank.
    Most adults concern themselves with learning first then progression. But only after they are comfortable. You shouldn't have any problems using a belts to mark progress in adults.

Cyborg Guest

Belts

I would like to agree that belt ranking is acceptable if the tests are real. However, I've been in too many schools that have brown and black belt students who plain ol' stink! They got promoted because they're consistent with their payments! I certainly won't do that because I don't intend to leave myself dependent on the income from teaching MA's only. It's just a knee jerk reaction against belts.

Robin: thanks for your opinion. But... the same could be said about any student, even those who achieve black belt. If they stop practicing, it's just a matter of time 'til they lose it. You'll never enforce dedication. :)

"Box a fighter and fight a boxer". Bruce Lee