Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot Position and Distance

Blog Entries

Foot Position and Distance

Old CMA saying said, "If you can hide your preparation, you will be able to achieve your maximum speed". One important preparation is your foot position in relate to your opponent's foot position.

Assume both you and your opponent have right leg forward. There are 7 different ways that you and your opponent's foot can land. Your opponent's right front foot can be on the:

1. north
    2. northwest
    3. west
    4. southwest
    5. northeast
    6. east
    7. southeast

of your right front foot as shown in the following picture.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9...otposition.jpg

Which foot position do you prefer and why? Hope this can be an interested discussion since it has nothing to do with style.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-27-2011 at 06:25 PM.

I like "1" because we're probably still talking, and then "5" because we're walking away from each other.

Assuming we're not walking away, I still have always liked "5"...I'm pretty decent at getting behind people, and that position is pretty conducive to it.

Btw, hello all, long-time lurker first time poster. Intro done.

I like to yield a few times first before engaging.

so it does not matter which direction of the lead leg is facing.

I am ready to move back half a step or move to the side.

I move when the opponent moves.

alternatively, I like to engage the opponent's side or back and not his front.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    There are 7 different ways that you and your opponent's foot can land. Your opponent's right front foot can be on the:

1. north
    2. northwest
    3. west
    4. southwest
    5. northeast
    6. east
    7. southeast
    If by "land" you mean you have attacked and are setting the foot down, 7 is very typical for Mantis.

Take the outside line, go deep, take him out. Start from 5, finish at 7.

Blog Entries
    I agree that the "side door" approach (5 - 6 - 7) is much safer. You only have to deal with one of your opponent's arms and legs instead of both. If you can use your opponent's leading leg to jam his back leg, or his leading arm to jam his back arm then you are safe.

The "front door" approach (2 - 3 - 4) is a little bit risky but there are good reward that may go along with it. What's your strategy if you decide to choose the (2 -3 - 4) approach?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-28-2011 at 01:21 AM.

I would always perfer # 7 for obvious reasons, attacking the side door to the upper or lower gate and covering and limiting his counter attack, while stepping at an agle to defend.
    but more importantly being past my opponents center, thus allowing me to stomp into the back of his knee collasping his stance, or ba duan using my knee to slam into the side of his leg causing his knee to fold inward aganst his ACL. or countless other takedowns form this advantage position.

once I get past or under thier center the fight is basically over.

If I used # 4 I would attack high, then low, step into a crossing leg (while checking his left arm and touch knee or attack high again quickly with a ccircular clothesline around thier neck brigning them to the mat as in SoBei.

I you find yourself stepping into the same spot or equal spots as in 2, 3, 5 or 6 the odds are equal and you have no advatage perse, assuming bother of you are same skill level.

8 step has some of the most supeirior footwork of any style except of course for Bagua which hs fantasitc feet and ultimate placement.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I agree that the "side door" approach (5 - 6 - 7) is much safer. You only have to deal with one of your opponent's arms and legs instead of both. If you can use your opponent's leading leg to jam his back leg, or his leading arm to jam his back arm then you are safe.

The "front door" approach (2 - 3 - 4) is a little bit risky but there are good reward that may go along with it. What's your strategy if you decide to choose the (2 -3 - 4) approach?
    My master used to say (5-6-7) "Life Gate" while you're still learning, (2-3-4) "Death Gate" when you're a master.

Watch this take on Life Gate / Death Gate Theory

Fight Compass Vol 1 Chapter 1 Preview has a great explanation of Life Gate / Death Gate Theory: http://crazymonkeydefense.com/cmd/?page_id=89

It starts at approximately 5:30 in the video.

2, 3 and 4 are pretty common, in your average life altercation.

a lot of times it starts at 1 or 2 and then moves into 3 and 4 pretty quickly. when talking about your average real life altercation. sport i think is different as you start the fight from across a room basically and get to work for position with forwarned knowledge that you are indeed fighting.

in self defense, you often have to maneuver out of those positions if you favor something else. or be comfortable working inside
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Can't say it so much for 7, but 5 and 6 are also good positions to set up a tempting opening for your opponent to attack, allowing you to set a trap.

For 2, assuming I'm on the offensive, my first move is probably going to be targeting his lead leg...most likely, it'll be a feint and, depending on his reaction, I'll try to close the gap. At 3 and especially 4, I'm going to be moving in to try and take his center...with 3 I may try to disrupt his lead leg by sweeping the instep before moving in, with 4 I'm probably going to try to step straight into him. Accompanied handwork will depend on the opponent's game and hand positioning.

Lol. Sorry YKW, I don't think many of the KF people here hunt for the throw the way you do. ... ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Lol. Sorry YKW, I don't think many of the KF people here hunt for the throw the way you do. ... ... ...
    Actually, in the cases of 3 and 4 I am probably going for a takedown. In the case of 4 it's almost a certainty. But again, the opponent's game is a factor.

Piercing through very streamlined, open up the centerline, high low or low high, then finishing move. Go in decisively for the kill.

In taking either line, just attack. Don't bother maneuvering, setting traps, or anything protracted. Just take him out.

Blog Entries
    Your body angle and foot position may be more important in the throwing art than in the striking art. In the striking art, as long as your fist can hit your opponent's face and knock him down, where you land your foot may not be that important. In the throwing art, your front foot position determine whether your legs can reach to your opponent's legs or not. Also your body angle relative to your opponent may be easily for you to apply certain leg movements.

For example, if your right foot is at the 2 position, it will give you the best angle for you to sweep your opponent's right front leg with your back left leg.