Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foot Position and Distance

Even for striking, we don't settle for just the fist to reach the face. We don't try to knock down with just that.

We want the footwork deep enough so that it is contacting and controlling the other person while we are striking. So the positioning is critical here as well.

We want to be deep enough to continue into throw, or strike body to body.

Classic Mantis is to blitz in then finish with a power move or throw.

-N-

We want the footwork deep enough so that it is contacting and controlling the other person while we are striking. So the positioning is critical here as well.
    We want to be deep enough to continue into throw, or strike body to body.
    Classic Mantis is to blitz in then finish with a power move or throw.
    In taking either line, 2-3-4 just attack. Don't bother maneuvering, setting traps, or anything protracted. Just take him out
    I agree with you however in the case of 2 and 5, your foot postition is equal to your opp. no advantage here if you advance he can retreat adn thus end result is the same. I feel you must be in positions 4 or 7 to get pas his center and use infighting to over come. unless I m reading your statement incorrectly.

PS Shaolin Dan,
    you should always hunt for the throw..
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Greetings,

For me there is no "side door" to my opponent. Whether left or right, the "door" is the same, only the opportunities change. And I have to be ready to take full advantage of every opportunity.

mickey

ED,

In answering YKW's question, I focus on "preference"(statistically within the system) for where the foot lands. In getting to that position we rely on footwork to overtake the other person.

The second quote has a typo. Originally, I had wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    In taking either line, just attack. Don't bother maneuvering, setting traps, or anything protracted. Just take him out.
    This relates to the mobility of the footwork and the attacking intent.

4 and 7 are where we want to end up. As far as the other person retreating to escape, it will come down to ability to escape vs. ability to overtake. But that's what all the training is about.

In looking solely at the different positions, and not at initiative or setup, each person has an equal advantage. And again it comes down to training.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    in the case of 2 and 5, your foot postition is equal to your opp.
    Actually among all 1 to 7 foot positions, your foot position is equal to your oppponent. Whatever that you can do to your opponent, your opponent can also do to you too. The difference may be who will have better arm control and forward body momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    For me there is no "side door" to my opponent. Whether left or right, the "door" is the same, only the opportunities change. And I have to be ready to take full advantage of every opportunity.
    What do you mean by that? The terms "side door - outside of both arms" and "front door - between both arms" are commonly used in the striking art. The terms "4 sides - outside right leg, inside right leg, inside left leg, outside left leg" and "2 doors - front door, back door" are commonly used in the throwing art.

When you enter your opponent's

- "side door", you are also offering your "side door" to your opponent.
    - "front door", you are not offering your "front door" to your opponent.

Since in CMA, "It's better to be on top than at the bottom, it's better to be inside than outside", the "front door" entry is also a good idea. You can break that "equality" between you and your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    4 and 7 are where we want to end up.
    Agree that most of the time, 4 and 7 are ending position and not starting position. Since both you and your opponent's front legs can reach to the other's back leg, the distance is even more closer than the normal clinching range.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-29-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post

PS Shaolin Dan,
    you should always hunt for the throw..

Yeah, so far I'm not so good at throws...take-downs no problem, but I've never managed to pull off a true throw in a 'live' situation. Trouble getting position under fire... one of a thousand things I'm working on.

Hi YouKnowWho,

How one fully deals with a situation, for me, is more important than the door. One can train in attack strategies and totally freeze up when it comes time to use it. I am looking more at the psychological factors more than the technical ones.

For Example:

I had a situation where I had to learn something and then, later that day, demonstrate it. At first, I was struggling with it. Then I decided to throw it all away and just do what I had to do. Was was interesting was that, once I did that, it all came back to me and I began to use it well.

mickey

-N-, ahh gottcha, that makes sense now.

shaolin dan, thats where pratice comes in right? they say each throw a thousand times to begin understand. repitition makes it second nature
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Greetings,

By going back to this thread and looking at the responses, I am beginning to understand what is being asked. My response really does not have much to do with it. My apologies.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Old CMA saying said, "If you can hide your preparation, you will be able to achieve your maximum speed". One important preparation is your foot position in relate to your opponent's foot position.

Assume both you and your opponent have right leg forward. There are 7 different ways that you and your opponent's foot can land. Your opponent's right front foot can be on the:

1. north
    2. northwest
    3. west
    4. southwest
    5. northeast
    6. east
    7. southeast

of your right front foot as shown in the following picture.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9...otposition.jpg

Which foot position do you prefer and why? Hope this can be an interested discussion since it has nothing to do with style.
    If I understand the question, my answer would seem to depend on the situation. Assuming an equal opponent as far as technical skill, if my reach is longer, which is statistically likely, I might choose to strike as long as possible, thus facing a likelihood of 1, 2, and 5 being what I'm dealing with as long as the striking can continue, but, when that ends, 4 and 7 open some good possibilities for throwing for me, but 2, riskier though it seems, is probably the scenario I enjoy most in that case, as I feel that dealing with the seeming equality of it requires the most fluidity.

That said, the others all have their tools and goals, imo, but 2 seems to have a lot of opportunity to transition to most of the others.

What about if one fighter is southpaw, the other orthodox?
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

would anybody agree that gate theory is related more to bridge fighting, than more conventional boxing/striking?

I say this, because it is the bridge, trap or whatever sticky technique that you use that gives you advantage as you move to engage a gate.

Boxers and strikers who are very mobile will keep turning on you as you move laterally without any problem, as KC and Micky seem to be pointing out, they have a different perspective. Thinking orthodox and southpaw...

You have to wait for them is my experience.

I've seen another centerline technique that is interesting defense to side movement attacks, that being to pivot on the front foot, and tracking your opponent as they move like that.

I think the gate theory introduces a good strategic concept for any fighter. Find an advantage, build the advantage, then cash it in. Don't cash in every little advantage the second you get it. Its good to have savings.

Like -N- said, Pak Mei is the same. Thin end of the wedge. Get a little advantage, build it a bit then finish hard and relentless. Of course, its not that simple, but that's the idea.

In the perfect fight, you don't get hit, and he doesn't get up. Right?
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    What about if one fighter is southpaw, the other orthodox?
    If you have right leg forward when your opponent has left leg forward (mirror stance), since your centerline and your opponent's centerline have intersection, this stance may cut your attacking time in half (same for your opponent).

Since in

- unform stance (both you and your opponent has right leg forward), your right leading leg can attack the "instep" of your opponent's right leading leg, and
    - mirror stance, your right leading leg can attack the "ankle" of your opponent's left leading leg,

your initial attack will be complete different.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    would anybody agree that gate theory is related more to bridge fighting, than more conventional boxing/striking?
    Agree that in striking art, the foot position will not be as important as in the throwing art. Since in throwing art, the foot position decide what throwing moves that you will be able to apply, it matters a lot. The throwing art use 4 sides and 2 doors concept. Assume you have right leg forward. Whether it will be easier for your right leading leg to reach the

- outside of your opponent's left leaging leg (1st side), or
    - inside of your opponent's left leaging leg (2nd side), or
    - inside of your opponent's right leaging leg (3rd side), or
    - outside of your opponent's right leaging leg (4th side),

You will have a complete different set of moves to use. Since it's very difficult for anybody to be good at all moves, everybody will have a set of their favor moves, this make the foot position extream important in the throwing art.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-04-2011 at 02:55 PM.