Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Passing of a True Master & Gentleman

Greetings,

Erle Montaigue came around during the time when Tai Chi Chuan was considered a deteriorated martial art that was good for exercise and long life. Our images of Tai Chi practitioners were shaped by the images of Marshall Ho'o, Bruce Tegner, etc. Here in the USA, we really didn't see too much Tai Chi beyond Form and Push Hands. Andrew Lum's books on Combat Tai Chi Chuan were more like mutant abberations to be ignored than as true insights to a combat art. The doors of China were closed at the time. Yet, Erle Montaigue pushed the combat effectiveness of Tai Chi and the internal styles long before it became fashionable.

Though I never met Erle Montaigue, I respect his existence. I appreciate the journey he took. And I hope he has graduated on to even more fantastic experiences.

My respect to him and my condolences to his family, friends, and students.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-28-2011 at 09:11 PM.

RIP Eric Montague.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I agree with Mr. Punch about EM bringing out the concept of the reptilian brain and how paosture activates this. The Jook Lum posture does exactly this, and if it weren't for EM's writings on this, I would have not made the connection.
    I also may not agree with everything he said, who does? But he did bring out alot of theory and concepts that were previously ..undiscussed. (trying to avoid the word, "secrets.") For that, many of us are thankfull.
    Hello Ten Tigers,

Not wanting to derail this thread, maybe you can go further into the activation of the reptilian brain through by using the Jook Lum posture, perhaps in another thread?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post

Erle Montaigue pushed the combat effectiveness of Tai Chi and the internal styles long before it became fashionable.

My respect to him and my condolences to his family, friends, and students.

mickey
    true. he was one of the first guys to come out and really attempt to show Tai Chi as a combat art.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    true. he was one of the first guys to come out and really attempt to show Tai Chi as a combat art.
    *ahem* I personally would give that honour to Lee Ying Arng myself.
    Erle grabbed an audience and marketed himself to it. He was clever in that respect.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

DJ,

Erle Montaigue created an audience and marketed himself to that audience.

People were not busting their behinds to buy a projector so they could see Li Ying Arng's film. That film was not the talk of the time, nor at any time. And I am not saying anything about the film's contents. It just wasn't the thing to get. As I said before, most people's views about Tai Chi Chuan had nothing to do with fighting back then.

Back in the day, a Tai Chi performance during a martial arts demo gave people the opportunity to go take a leak and come back for the good stuff. And it would not surprise me if this still happens. I do this when watching master demo's on dvd at home. It is either the aforementioned or FAST FORWARD.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-29-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Back in the day, a Tai Chi performance during a martial arts demo gave people the opportunity to go take a leak and come back for the good stuff. And it would not surprise me if this still happens.
    That was why the Taiji Legacy event in Dallas had stopped any Taiji demo on the stage in the past many years. I still remember that many years ago when any Taiji master demo on the stage, some audience just stood up and went to bathrooms.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    *ahem* I personally would give that honour to Lee Ying Arng myself.
    Erle grabbed an audience and marketed himself to it. He was clever in that respect.
    Lee Ying Arng's "joint locking" book (published in 1956) was the 1st CMA book that I had when I was in my grade school. When I was in my 7th grade, I had my 1st English class. The 1st English lesson was "Book, this is a book". I even wrote "book" on the cover of Lee's book. Everyday I held a small rock between 3 of my fingers and tried to smash that rock with my finger tip strength. That was long time ago.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9...ntlockbook.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8...tlockbook1.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-29-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Its sad hes passed on, practised both His tai chi and pushing hands (prefered it to other yang i have done) and whilst i did not agree with his other stuff its sad hes gone

wow... how did it happen?

Im sorry to hear of this loss. I read a lot about him, and never seen anyone else publicly, besides him and my teacher, show the groin slap after wardoff. His legacy will live on. I wish his family and students much respect and I am sure he will do just as well in his next life. Death is only a new beginning

However, I dont mean to sound insensitive, but if someone knows more about the Wudang info that he taught, could you PM me because I kept putting off the opportunity to contact him about it, and never had the chance. But everything happens for a reason. I figured if one of his students could help me out with some questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

RIP fella...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by tiaji1983 View Post
    wow... how did it happen?
    Heart Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    Heart Attack.
    it is the number 1 cause of death.

high cholesterol

high blood pressure

and diabetes

all increased the risks for it several folds

---

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Lee Ying Arng's "joint locking" book (published in 1956) was the 1st CMA book that I had when I was in my grade school. When I was in my 7th grade, I had my 1st English class. The 1st English lesson was "Book, this is a book". I even wrote "book" on the cover of Lee's book. Everyday I held a small rock between 3 of my fingers and tried to smash that rock with my finger tip strength. That was long time ago.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9...ntlockbook.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8...tlockbook1.jpg
    priceless.

I had a ba ji instruction book and others from kuo shu guan era in 1935.

my brother scanned them into PDF files.

Earl was Mr Dim Mak

R.I.P

He wasn't that old either - how did he die?