Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reptilian Brain

Very interesting.
    I have a friend who trained a type of martial qigong for a while many years ago. He said that he began to develop a lot of power in his hands, beyond what he would have normally been capable of. But he said that after awhile he began to "lose compassion" and that his personality began to change in a negative way. He quit the practice. Later, he mentioned this to another practitioner, and this person told him that this practice required very careful instruction and guidance over a long period of time; otherwise, some people might become 'psychotic'.

Anyway, that's what he told me. I tend to believe my friend, because he's very practical-minded and has a pretty good BS meter. Yet he maintains that the practice wasn't worth the potential risks.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-28-2011 at 11:48 PM.

I'm sure that this 腰圆-背弓-头顶天/yao yuan-bei gong-tou ding tian (round lower back, arched upper back, head presses against the sky) concept is quite common amongst northern styles (some at least). Not only SPM. It gives you more strength (whole body strength), this forward drive and a bit of animal-like attitude.

Greetings,

When you are training the reptile brain, you are also training the adrenal response. It is important for one to be aware of this.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    3 am - 5 am is the time of the Lungs in Chinese Medicine. Many Qigong/Hei gung methods were deliberately practiced at that time to "double" the benefit to the lungs.
    Robert, out of interest, what are these times based on: the person's biorhythm based on when he wakes up/sleeps/activity, the earth and heaven chi around one at that time of day? Would be very interested in any insights you wouldn't mind sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    you don't have to assume postures and chang san to be affected by certain training methods. In some systems, it is simply a result of the training.
    When I was in my teens, I met a guy who took me through some very heavy visualizations designed to tap into this. At 145, I was able to kick through a 2x4 (against the grain) and in a situation where some guys were holding a girl against her will in their dorm room, I kicked open a steel door. I doubt I could do that now at 200 lbs. (ok, maybe..I hope) But the "training" was too weird, not to mention the guy himself was a bit...off.
    RMCAT uses methods to create an adrenaline response. Perhaps a bit more down to earth.
    Yeah, I know where you are coming from.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Very interesting.
    I have a friend who trained a type of martial qigong for a while many years ago. He said that he began to develop a lot of power in his hands, beyond what he would have normally been capable of. But he said that after awhile he began to "lose compassion" and that his personality began to change in a negative way. He quit the practice. Later, he mentioned this to another practitioner, and this person told him that this practice required very careful instruction and guidance over a long period of time; otherwise, some people might become 'psychotic'.

Anyway, that's what he told me. I tend to believe my friend, because he's very practical-minded and has a pretty good BS meter. Yet he maintains that the practice wasn't worth the potential risks.
    This "state" has been tested and analyised over the years, there is enough "evidence" that it exists and that certain people should not be trained in it or in it's methods.
    I think that "loss of compassion" is a pretty good way to sum it up in the early stages, it goes way beyond that in the latter stages.
    "Killer instinct" is a very basic way to put it.
    To bring out our "inner reptile" is not something that the majority of people shoudl do, a very small percentage can walk that fine line between "both worlds" but most either drop it when they feel the "evil" or they get consumed by it.

Ok Erle M (rip) is not a good source for this information as he was basically glomming the legitimate work of Dr.Paul D.MacLean who was the actual person who proposed the triune brain theory which was inclusive of the reptilian complex, the limbic system, and the neocortex.

credit where credit is due.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yes, but EM brought it to the forefront of western internal Martial Arts.
    "Good writers borrow, great writers steal."
    "If you take form one source, it's called plagerism.
    If you take from several sources, it's called research."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    yes, but EM brought it to the forefront of western internal Martial Arts.
    "Good writers borrow, great writers steal."
    "If you take form one source, it's called plagerism.
    If you take from several sources, it's called research."
    I agree in the case of fiction. But as he had no background in neuroscience, where Dr.MacLean did, his musings at best were shot in the dark and had no actual foundational proof of concept because ....well, EM was musing and is not a neuroscientist.

I will take real science over any layman's musings almost 100% of the time.
    Call me negative if you will, but I cannot accept much where the work cannot be shown.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    This "state" has been tested and analyised over the years, there is enough "evidence" that it exists and that certain people should not be trained in it or in it's methods.
    I think that "loss of compassion" is a pretty good way to sum it up in the early stages, it goes way beyond that in the latter stages.
    "Killer instinct" is a very basic way to put it.
    To bring out our "inner reptile" is not something that the majority of people shoudl do, a very small percentage can walk that fine line between "both worlds" but most either drop it when they feel the "evil" or they get consumed by it.
    can u tell me more about super reptilian evil qigong pls
    i wana b evil reptilian IMAGINE THE POWER

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i wana b evil reptilian imagine the power
    you cant handle the power man, its just toooo much!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The Triune Brain hypothesis was disproved years ago.

The qi gong discussed above sounds more like a conditioned endocrine response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I will take real science over any layman's musings almost 100% of the time.
    Call me negative if you will, but I cannot accept much where the work cannot be shown.
    *points finger at DJ being Christian and laughs*
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i wana b evil reptilian IMAGINE THE POWER
    Of all the people here, you would be the last, why?
    Because you'd be the best candidate to venture to the dark side and open up a chain of KFC's over there !!

isnt being cold calculating and devoid of compassion normal everday life for chilese people? why u need evil qigong to train the evilness? my mom does that and she made me the man i am today.

*gives distant cho seung hui look

home video of me and mom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsix...eature=related
    it was magical moment i wil treasure forever
    Last edited by bawang; 01-31-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC