Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reptilian Brain

I thought DJ was one of those athiest things.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I thought DJ was one of those athiest things.
    Not at all. lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Oh thats right, I forgot. You're a Scientologist right?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Oh thats right, I forgot. You're a Scientologist right?
    oh gawd i hope not...

on a side note... i love that bbc doc on scientology where the bbc reporter just loses it on one of the heads of the church... he was foaming at the mouth and making inhuman noises, it was crazy... they got to him for a minute... im sure the effect surpassed their expectations... not that the scientologists didnt have their own lil blow up moments... but not like this one...

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    home video of me and mom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsix...eature=related
    it was magical moment i wil treasure forever
    translation:
    did you leave dishes in the sink

no mamma, it wasnt me i swear

bullsh1t, SLAP, where those your dishes

yes momma im so sorry

LIAR SLAP SLAP SLAP NOW KICK THE BAG TILL YOUR LEGS BLEED

yes momma im sorry momma

she make you trong!

and clean.............

lol, scientologists aren't Christian.

Their god is a galactic overlord named Xenu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol, scientologists aren't Christian.

Their god is a galactic overlord named Xenu.
    apparently they take offence to that now... lol... odd bunch...

are you a christian david? catholic maybe??? im a baptized catholoic but non practicing for many many moons... im a bit of an agnostic i think, with a bit of room for small leaps of faith on very rare occasions... but thats just today, who knows about tomorrow... i mean, i hope i'll evolve till im dead... in the right directions tho... wouldnt wanna end up being some evolutionary cul de sac...

Hmmn.

Why are you so interested in my personal belief system. lol
    It's not as if my beliefs have any weight on yours.
    I have no new insights into spirituality and no methods for spiritual attainment that are not already available.

But, yes, I'm a christian. Yes I believe in God.
    Good enough?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

it's important to know so that all of the open-minded people who talk about "coexisting" can belittle and make fun of you.

Good thread..

I've never come across this before, but I know the phenomenon from the Pak Mei training.

We obviously use the curved back posture, but we have another range of aggression training as well, through the wind-sprint training of the forms, and visualisation. This gives me a bit of insight to work on. Thanks lads.

I see it happen as you train a fighter to drift away from the bouncy of side-on posture, or a lead hand, and train them to fight square, the aggression goes up, actually, half aggression-half confidence...

And dead set, that posture is good for fighting, covering the chest meridians, elbows can drop to protect, or raise to guard, chest is at an angle to deflect strikes and shots... There's definitely something to it. Iron body on top....

And the question about 4am training....
    To my understanding, there are times of day in the cycle when certain meridians, (associated with the 5 elements) are at their height of cycles, or bottom (hotter or colder?). That early morning part is the lungs, for example.
    This is part of dim mak training as well, knowing which element is in its prime, or at its weakest, given a time of day....

BTW, I start at 5am, and don't feel like I'm missing the sweet spot.

There is another sweet spot after 11pm, in the 5 element perspective, if I'm not mistaken, for hei gung training.
    Anybody really up on the 5 elements and time of day thingy?

BTW, you don't have to be a TCMA wanker to know the mornings and night time are glorious for training...<grin>

Western science has circadian rhythms whereby people set their own biological clock through behaviour, I can certainly see how the two perspectives could co-exist.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    But, yes, I'm a christian. Yes I believe in God.
    Good enough?
    yeah, totally... just cutious... thanx...

in bak mei we learned that you dont curve your spine when you use the hollow chest posture... i think i heard someone call it monkey chest, but cant remember if that was at bak mei or elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    in bak mei we learned that you dont curve your spine when you use the hollow chest posture... i think i heard someone call it monkey chest, but cant remember if that was at bak mei or elsewhere...
    Think of this. Your relaxed position with the concave chest. A roll of the shoulders that sets the spine against the pelvic tilt.

As you move, you rise and fall, swallow and spit - the coiling and uncoiling is dynamic.

make sense?
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Murderous intent

THis may be interesting to some of you;

WHilst living in China I trained in a style called Xin Yi Quan (NOT xinG yi). If any of you have ever played the videogame 'Dead or Alive' the character 'Gen' uses this style.

ANyway, before engaging in combat they taught 'Wen Feng'...To taste the wind. You literally take a large sniff and SMELL your opponent in an intimidating gesture. They believe this gets one in touch with ones instinct and after smelling the opponant you will immediatly be put into fight or flight mode and you will know instinctively whether this is a battle you can win or not. SOunds a bit crazy huh?

However I later discovered on reading into some neuroscience that the sense of smell directly goes through the REPTILLIAN BRAIN. And there are subconcious smelling abilities that we humans posess. FOr example one peer reviewed study noted that women could actually smell fear. By making women smell the armpit odur of women who had just watched a scary movie controlled against those who had just watched a normal movie and the vast majority were able to smell the fear....literally (Sorry for no having the reference of this paper, but if you google it you will find it before long, I belive the researcher was a 'Denise Chen' of Rice University in Housten).

ANyway, perhaps the ancient XINYI practicioners were correct, and deliberately smelling the opponant ( and focusing on the odur) does connect you with your 'Murderous intent' (ShaQi or ShaXin, another importent part of XInYIQUan, but absent in styles like shaolin, for good reson).

THE TIGERS BACK, THe back position you are talking about is common to ALL styles in northern china without any exception that I have encountered. It is especially prominant in Shaolin and you will quickly sort between the performance people and the traditional by looking at the way they hold themselves. THis is important for many reasons and yes is also common to western boxing. Although i don't beleive this affects instinct, it is simply sensible to protect the organs. It worth noting it doesnt violate the kung fu principle of keeping the spine straight. The spine is still mostly straight, but the shoulder blades rotate forwards and 'close' the abdomen.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 01-31-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Very interesting, except for the fact that outside of reptiles there is no such thing as the 'reptilian brain'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?