Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Reptilian Brain

@Wenshu

It comes from the 'Triune Brain' a model of the evolution of the human brain proposed in the 60's. Although not the currently accepted model it is widely appreciated. The brain is in 3 definate sections that evolved in definte epochs and the 'reptillian' part shares many features with that of a reptiles brain. It is heavily involved in unconcious Primitive body functions. The correct scientific term is the 'BASAL GANGLIA'. Or as we are refferring to it, the R-complex, the reptillian brain. Why? Cause it sounds cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    ANyway, before engaging in combat they taught 'Wen Feng'...To taste the wind. You literally take a large sniff and SMELL your opponent in an intimidating gesture. They believe this gets one in touch with ones instinct and after smelling the opponant you will immediatly be put into fight or flight mode and you will know instinctively whether this is a battle you can win or not. SOunds a bit crazy huh?
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20...s-buddy-clinto
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Ahahahah, fantastic.

Perhaps he smelt he was going to lose and just couldn't fight.

@Wenshu

It comes from the 'Triune Brain' a model of the evolution of the human brain proposed in the 60's. Although not the currently accepted model it is widely appreciated. The brain is in 3 definate sections that evolved in definte epochs and the 'reptillian' part shares many features with that of a reptiles brain. It is heavily involved in unconcious Primitive body functions. The correct scientific term is the 'BASAL GANGLIA'. Or as we are refferring to it, the R-complex, the reptillian brain. Why? Cause it sounds cooler.
    I'm familiar with the theory. It hasn't been considered accurate in evolutionary developmental theory or paleontology since the advent of modern neuro-imaging techniques.

The only place it still holds sway is popular culture.

The basal ganglia are present in all vertebrates, and so their evolution probably substantially predates the emergence of reptiles. Similarly, brain structures included in the paleomammalian complex are not unique to mammals, and many non-mammalian vertebrates display the nurturing and child-rearing behaviors attributed to it. Sauropsids, a classification encompassing birds, reptiles, and dinosaurs, were all subsequently discovered to have brain structures similar in function to what MacLean called the neomammalian complex, which indicates that the evolution of these structures also predates the evolution of mammals. Sophisticated mental abilities once thought to be exclusive to mammals, such as toolmaking, are also present in some species of birds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

@wenshu

Yeah, fair enough.

Still, it does sound cooler than Basal ganglia

ANyway the Basal Ganglia is the location associated with 'ACTION SELECTION' and emotion which is what i believe we are interested in for its martial application. To be honest I am generally happier using Scientific terms, but Reptillian brain was the title of the thread and i figured we all know what it means. Basal Ganglia it is!
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 01-31-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Dude, check the signature.

What you guys are really talking about is something more along the lines of neuroendocrinology:

Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Dude, check the signature.
    Wonderful!

I especially like how you have coordinated the studies with the appropriate characters.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    What you guys are really talking about is something more along the lines of neuroendocrinology:

Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis
    THis is certainly a major part of it, but not quite on the button. I believe the most important step we should be interested in is the 'decision'. Once the decision to fight or to run away has been made definately there is nothing left to think about and you can carry out the actions, of course still being subject to the stress responses. Never the less it is the decision on dedicating to combat or not that is the vital step.

For example a single Lion can cause an entire herd of Bison to scatter, even though each of them are capable of taking him on. Once they have committed to the 'Prey' response they are largely locked into that sequence of actions, irrespective of their stress responses. HOwever sometimes they do make the decision of defense, and sometimes the decision of attack which makes them very formidable. There is a famous video where a lion takes a calf, and then the bisons actually move into attack mode and butt the lion sending it literally flying and then continue to give chase.

Its this decision that is the key element that turns these creature from helpless and accepting death into predators themselves. That decision making process is of more interest than the response of the body to the stress then induced.

Neuroscience is not my major, but I beleive the Basal ganglia is important in this kind of Action selection which then initiatiates response sequences. But I would love to know in more detail the process within the brain?
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 01-31-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kristcaldwell View Post
    it's important to know so that all of the open-minded people who talk about "coexisting" can belittle and make fun of you.
    I can be problematic in that respect, because I am also a buddhist and have converted reform to judaism at one point, which by default also makes me a jew.

On top of all that, I am a Freemason!

So, pick your target, I'm covered in them.
    I guess the cool part is that there is no conflict in my beliefs and they serve me in my daily life.

Also, huge respect for the religio-philosophies of Taoism and Confucianism and despite the depth and expansiveness of Hinduism, there is much of value to be found there as well.

Start shooting! I got cheeks to turn!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

you have coordinated the studies with the appropriate characters.
    Yeah, the findings don't really mean anything specific other than that a connection exists between the activation of the basal ganglia during 坐禅 and the basal ganglia's role in the execution of movement.

THis is certainly a major part of it, but not quite on the button. I believe the most important step we should be interested in is the 'decision'. Once the decision to fight or to run away has been made definately there is nothing left to think about and you can carry out the actions, of course still being subject to the stress responses. Never the less it is the decision on dedicating to combat or not that is the vital step.
    Not just the decision, but as you mentioned previously, the intent, or 杀气. I understand this is a pretty major area of study regarding these structures in the brain.

The brain model of triune is still somewhat accepted.

With survival insitinct and motor skills, involuntary maintenance being attributed to the "reptilian complex" and the limbic system while social skills and higher thinking being given to the neo-cortex which is the large outer layer of the brain.

These days, knowledge of teh brain and it's function changes with every publication of the Lancet or journal of neuroscience though it seems.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Think of this. Your relaxed position with the concave chest. A roll of the shoulders that sets the spine against the pelvic tilt.

As you move, you rise and fall, swallow and spit - the coiling and uncoiling is dynamic.

make sense?
    oh yeah i understood it right away when i was taught... the only thing i cant remember is the name monkey chest, if thats right or not...

but yeah, i love the whole concept... when you get good at it you can feel the difference... up down in out... but ur head doesnt really change height... feels good... a good example of that is jik bo actually... that whole foreward step really embodies that principle... well, atleast thats how i was taught... feels good when you get it right the first time...

@Wenshu

well said man... sweeeeet........

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I can be problematic in that respect, because I am also a buddhist and have converted reform to judaism at one point, which by default also makes me a jew.

On top of all that, I am a Freemason!

So, pick your target, I'm covered in them.
    I guess the cool part is that there is no conflict in my beliefs and they serve me in my daily life.

Also, huge respect for the religio-philosophies of Taoism and Confucianism and despite the depth and expansiveness of Hinduism, there is much of value to be found there as well.

Start shooting! I got cheeks to turn!
    thats pretty sweet if you can be all that without any conflict at all... good on ya, i say... i wasnt asking to rail at you about it or anything...

ok so are the most basic functions in the center or bottom or isolated somewhat and as it grows outward the more complex functions are formed??? as the brain got bigger it grew in a sort of layers as opposed to getting bigger and more complex all the way thru??? do you guys know what im asking? i am no med student, im not sure of the proper terminology to phrase my question...
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-31-2011 at 05:27 PM.