Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Schulman's Horror Stories

You're Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTkdAckTSK View Post
    you're exactly right! The difference is nothing more than a phonetic issue. That's what I said my friend (who is Chinese American and a BB in kenpo as well) claimed it was but, i was not as articulate as you were.
    Thanks for clarifying what I believe is the difference between the spellings.
    I understood what you were saying before. It was just a way to explain the differences in pronunciation that I was conveying. I tried to put forth my best educated guess. This topic may pop up again...different people have different opinions on the issue.

GLad I was able to help clarify.

Take Care.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Link to article

Very relevant to what was brought up earlier...

I know not about the laws regarding self-defense in that state. For all we know, the relatives of the slain intruder could turn around and sue the farmer. He should get a good lawyer.

This still requires more research...As martial artists, we should be aware of the laws that pertain to us for we will not be looked upon as innocent at first. It seems that the burden of proof will fall on us to show what justified any amount of force that we use in a self defense situation.

Thanks for the article.
    Welcome back and Happy new year.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    I've heard of something like that. A bit comical. As martial artists, it is a good idea to know what the boundaries are in self-defense (constraints that the law puts upon us). Of course, respective to where we live. Then again, if you like to travel, you've got quite a bit of homework to do
    hey i've trained for a pretty long time(nearly all my life) and sometimes hands ain;t gonna cut it. you got people out who really know what there doing, i had a friend who lost a finger trying to defend against this guy with a knife and he grab the guys risk but the guy was holding the knife in reverse(which i always thought wat stupid but hey normal people don't hold knives like that and in the street you not gonna look to see if he's holding the knife inside or outside) and he just pulled back and yank finger came right off(it was sowed back on but i'm told it was a bloody mess).

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    hey i've trained for a pretty long time(nearly all my life) and sometimes hands ain;t gonna cut it. you got people out who really know what there doing, i had a friend who lost a finger trying to defend against this guy with a knife and he grab the guys risk but the guy was holding the knife in reverse(which i always thought wat stupid but hey normal people don't hold knives like that and in the street you not gonna look to see if he's holding the knife inside or outside) and he just pulled back and yank finger came right off(it was sowed back on but i'm told it was a bloody mess).
    you are so right Doug. Thats why I trained in knife fighting. I know my kickboxing will always be there for hand to hand, but you never know if someone will draw a weapon on you.

Reverse grip on a knife is just as deadly as foward grip. Although its harder to thrust the knife into the person a lot can be done with the reverse grip. Thank god your friend is ok.

Word?

It was unfortunate that had happened to your friend.

If you shoot, the burden will be on you to prove that it was indeed self-defense and that you gave a fair warning. That was what I was driving at with my statement. If possible, we need to be careful. However, if loved ones are involved or it comes down to your life or the other guy, you know what you have to do.

I definitely agree that sometimes bare hands won't get the job done. In the street, there is no such thing as a fair fight. But our training usually starts out with empty-hand type combat, so that will seemingly be a first resort. But if you find something that can help you out, then by all means, it should be utilized.

If in that situation, I'm sure I'll know what to do. Ultimately, I believe that it will depend on the circumstances and who happens to be there with me.

BTW Doug. This is a bit off topic but it says you joined the forum in 1969 but then you would have to be older than what you state in your profile. AM I missing something bro, or is just a typo on the part of the forum? Just wondering cuz there are quite a few of you who had joined in the same year.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Word?

It was unfortunate that had happened to your friend.

If you shoot, the burden will be on you to prove that it was indeed self-defense and that you gave a fair warning. That was what I was driving at with my statement. If possible, we need to be careful. However, if loved ones are involved or it comes down to your life or the other guy, you know what you have to do.

I definitely agree that sometimes bare hands won't get the job done. In the street, there is no such thing as a fair fight. But our training usually starts out with empty-hand type combat, so that will seemingly be a first resort. But if you find something that can help you out, then by all means, it should be utilized.

If in that situation, I'm sure I'll know what to do. Ultimately, I believe that it will depend on the circumstances and who happens to be there with me.

BTW Doug. This is a bit off topic but it says you joined the forum in 1969 but then you would have to be older than what you state in your profile. AM I missing something bro, or is just a typo on the part of the forum? Just wondering cuz there are quite a few of you who had joined in the same year.

there wasn't even an internet in 1969 and computers were the size of a giant as room as you know. people who say 1969 in there join date have been here since before 2000. i've been here since 98-99. after 9-11 the person who use to own this site kung fu online. aperantly flipped out and i guess either sold or gave the forum to kfm. don't know if thats true or not but thats what i was told.

there wasn't even an internet in 1969 and computers were the size of a giant as room as you know. people who say 1969 in there join date have been here since before 2000. i've been here since 98-99. after 9-11 the person who use to own this site kung fu online. aperantly flipped out and i guess either sold or gave the forum to kfm. don't know if thats true or not but thats what i was told.
    Thank you for that brief history of the site.

I was only inquiring as to the significance of your join date. Being new here, it was a fair question. Already knowing about the history of computers and Internet, I thought that the significance of that date was that you(and others with said year) might have been a long time veteran that was part of the organization (non-employee obviously).

I'm sure you can understand where I was coming from.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Thank you for that brief history of the site.

I was only inquiring as to the significance of your join date. Being new here, it was a fair question. Already knowing about the history of computers and Internet, I thought that the significance of that date was that you(and others with said year) might have been a long time veteran that was part of the organization (non-employee obviously).

I'm sure you can understand where I was coming from.
    i was joking about the computer thing you know that right? yeah well alot of new people don't know to much about the site when they come here so yea i just said it, how acurate it is with some of the info like why it changed hands is again beyond me and just hear say. as to why all the veterans have 1968 as their join date you have to ask gene or one of the other mods. about that cause honestly i have no idea maybe it was a weird attempt at humor or something.

I'll have to get used to your sense of humor man. But it's all good.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Ditto!

Let's watch how this turns out.

Very relevant to what was brought up earlier...

I know not about the laws regarding self-defense in that state. For all we know, the relatives of the slain intruder could turn around and sue the farmer. He should get a good lawyer.

This still requires more research...As martial artists, we should be aware of the laws that pertain to us for we will not be looked upon as innocent at first. It seems that the burden of proof will fall on us to show what justified any amount of force that we use in a self defense situation.

Thanks for the article.
    Welcome back and Happy new year.

Transit worker takes on 4 thugs

Check it out. This guy is awesome. Although he was stabbed 9 times and had his OWN knife he took 3 guys out..killing one and wounding 2 others.. The other took off. What they didn't say was that the martial artist (transit worker) had a knife.

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/H...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

watch the news story.....

13. I have heard really good things about it from multiple friends. Especially for the youngins.

14. Quote Originally Posted by SayocBlade View Post
    Check it out. This guy is awesome. Although he was stabbed 9 times and had his OWN knife he took 3 guys out..killing one and wounding 2 others.. The other took off. What they didn't say was that the martial artist (transit worker) had a knife.

Man that sucks that he was put in that situation. That dude calling the attack innocent! Oh man that ****es me off.

Quote Originally Posted by SayocBlade View Post

Did he use his own knife?

Anyways, self-defense all the way. I hope that they don't waste tax dollars by trying to put this guy in prison.

To even attempt to convict the transit worker of a crime would be a travesty. I believe that he was fighting to save his own life.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)