Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTkdAckTSK View Post
re: you're handle "sayocblade". One of my closest friends whom I earned a BB in Kenpo with, has also seen the light, and is currently studying Kali and Sayoc. I think he's crazy and is gonna end up in jail if he ever uses those knives. Do you study sayoc? if so, what are your feelings about it?
He should be smarter than using a knife to defend himself. The knife is there for last resort or when the odds are totally against him like 8 to 1. Life isn't fair so a fight will not be fair either. Sayoc, kali, etc are all warriror arts. They teach defense just like kickboxing, etc. Most of the moves you use in Kali, sayoc can be used without weapons. Sayoc just uses blades all the time (and thats their quote, All blade all the time) but they also teach awareness. As one trains in Sayoc, its more that just slashing.

I wouldn't worry about your friend. Seems that he's intelligent enough to get a BB in kenpo, therefore he's just expanding his horizon in the arts. No shame in that. The more knowledge the better. Guarantee if there was a confrontation, he wouldn't pull out his blade. He would just walk away. If something were to come about, the knife would still be in his pocket while he defended himself.

As a note, there are always consequences to your actions in a violent confrontation. Whether or not your are armed, yes the penalities for concealed weapons carry and usage can be stiff, but also empty hand usage does the same. In a recent schoolyard altercation, a teenager was struck on the side of the neck, and a short time later passed out and died due to the swelling of the bruising shutting off the blood flow in his carotid artery.

In Sayoc Kali, they review cases of justifiable defense of one's self or others in the eyes of the law. Not only this, but we are constantly reminded (and Instructors reinforce this with the students as well) that not all conflicts result in the drawing and use of a weapon. The caveat is that we treat all attacks as if the are an armed one, de-escalating the use of force if necessary.

just my .02