Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Schulman's Horror Stories

MonkeySlap Too Guest

Hey Rogue

What is the deal with Tiger Schulmann's lawsuit?

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

rogue Guest
    Can't find the URL for the news story. What it boils down to is that martial arts studios don't have to follow the same rules as a health club or gym. They don't have to be bonded in case they go out of business, offer certain conditions for cancelation of contracts and many other things that health clubs have to follow. I'll try and find the article.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
    Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

bdragon Guest

Tiger Schulman's Horror Stories

I'm curious to hear any horror stories those of you might have had with Tiger Schulman's Karate? A friend of mine went there and It was a nightmare

shaolinboxer Guest

Even more interesting

It would be even more interesting to hear positive stories about TSK.

Horror stories are so common they are boring by now...

mileh Guest
    Can someone please tell me who Tiger Schulman is?

Budokan Guest
    Yeah, and what are some of these horror stories? I'm unfamiliar with both aspects of this question.

K. Mark Hoover

jbmmaster Guest

Tiger shulmans karate

I heard that tiger shulmans karate is easy. There were people in my kungfu class that switched from TSK to my school because they said it was to easy. I was going to go their also but I didn't think it was worth going to. People in my school make a joke out of tiger shulmans. I mean just look at the commercials for tiger shulmans, thats the most lamest stuff Ive ever seen. But Ive got to admitt they sure market their School well.

"Beware of the chi within JB"

bdragon Guest

Tiger Schulman

It's Karate for the masses...........takes Mcdojo to a whole new level. Everything is prepackaged..

shaolinboxer Guest

shaolinboxer Guest

Horror stories

Most of these tales of evil have to do with the fact that when you sign up for classes, you sign a very long contract for thousands of dollars. It guarantees you will become a black belt after x amount of time, and has clauses for additional fees if you do not make it to BB under the time indicated in the original contract.

The bad part comes when you decide you don't like the classes and want you 2g's back.

But hey man, caveat emptor (buyer beware).

bdragon Guest
    Seven-------Tiger Schulman is a nobody who won a few tournaments and declared himslef Shihan of his own Karate system, totally egotistical too, there is a newsletter and there is a section called tracks of the tiger that talks about how great he is, its such a joke. It almost seems liek they are trying to form their own cult.

mileh Guest
    LOL, thats all we need another Chung Moo Doo. :rolleyes:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bdragon View Post
    Seven-------Tiger Schulman is a nobody who won a few tournaments and declared himslef Shihan of his own Karate system, totally egotistical too, there is a newsletter and there is a section called tracks of the tiger that talks about how great he is, its such a joke. It almost seems liek they are trying to form their own cult.
    Do you know him or something? Did he seem Egotistical when you spoke with him?

This was from the Grappling Hall of fame for the worlds best Grapplers.

Daniel "Tiger" Schulmann has spent his entire life, first as a fighter, and then as a teacher, to achieve the greatest challenges that martial arts has to offer. During the 70s, Tiger Schulman won over 100 competitions, before he set his sights on the ultimate: full-contact, bare-knuckle, knockdown-knockout competition.

From 1979 to 1984, he was the North American Mas Oyama Full-Contact Karate Champion, an accomplishment still unequalled to this day. During that time, he also represented the United States in the World Open Full-Contact Karate Championships in Tokyo, Japan

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jbmmaster View Post
    I heard that tiger shulmans karate is easy. There were people in my kungfu class that switched from TSK to my school because they said it was to easy. I was going to go their also but I didn't think it was worth going to. People in my school make a joke out of tiger shulmans. I mean just look at the commercials for tiger shulmans, thats the most lamest stuff Ive ever seen. But Ive got to admitt they sure market their School well.

"Beware of the chi within JB"
    I have to agree with you that the commercials seem pretty lame but after I tried other classes in my area (Judo and Tae Kwon Do) I figured I would give it a shot because the classes I was in were not much of a workout at all and I didn't feel I was getting any benefit from taking them. Once I started Taking Tiger Shculmanns I realized that non of the stuff in the comercials is what we do that is only for the young young kids to make it fun and keep them interested. It's a way better workout than the other classes I took as well and I definatley feel like I'm getting somewhere after every class. Don't get me wrong your classes may be even more intense and if that is the case then I would see no reason to switch to any other schools at all.

I don't know what the above guy is talking about with them Guaranteeing you anything or giving you any time frame to become a black belt because they said that everyone takes a different amount of time to achieve a higher ranking and for some it may take a long time. Also there is no 2000 dollar charge that you can't get back either. You pay monthly and if you stop you don't pay anymore like most classes.

On top of that the current instructor at my school is currently the USKBA world Muay Thai Champion and has defended it and won as well.

Sorry to ramble on but I actually felt the same way you all did until I tried it and it just proves that you shouldn't Knock it till ya try it!

Tiger Schulmann's - anyone ever gotten a refund?

So I enrolled at TSK a few years back (I know, I know...) Was going okay for about 6 months... and somehow I was into it enough to sign up (and pay for) the extended classes (big mistake, obviously).

But things came up, and for a bunch of reasons, I stopped going. I always had intentions of going back and picking it up again, but it just never happened.

Now here I am, and in a situation where I could definitely use the money a lot more than I could use cookie-cutter "karate" instruction. I thought about trying to get my money back, but I know TSK's stance on the subject. So I started looking into it, and I came by this forum. Figured I'd at least throw up a post and see if anyone out there ever had dealings with these guys.

Anyone know of anyone who has tried to get any money back from TSK? Or maybe point me in a better direction to try to get more info about it? Thinking about filing a complaint with the Attorney General... dunno how much good that will do but I guess it can't hurt. It's all a shot in the dark, I'm sure - but I'll try anything at this point.

If anyone has any info, or can help in any way, please let me know.