Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Schulman's Horror Stories

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I will admit however, that I don't care for their children's programs. Too much day care, and for young kids 9-12, they teach a macho attitude which in my book isn't healthy.
    Since I teach for a living, and since I do not want to compromise, yet still make a decent living, I look at the ones who are doing it right, or at least doing big things which I can learn from. From TSK, I see a strong workout,heavy on conditioning, and heavy on motivation.(not simply feel good stuff, but good strong work) Kinda like Anthony Robins in a Gi. If I can inspire my students to push themselves and train hard, and enjoy it, if they walk out of my classes sweating and pumped, then they will not only get better, they will bring in others.
    I doubt I will develop a curriculum like theirs, where each student has a card with a bar code, and are charged for hours...who knows? BUT, I have brought in Shuai Jiao and BJJ people to develop a curriculum for grappling, and one of my students, who is Thai, spends his summer in Thailand trainng with Col. Amnat Pooksrisuk learning Muay Chayat,and Muai Boran. This will also be a part of our school's training. (Tools,attributes, not trying to change anything or learn a style)SO ,learn and grow.

Tiger Schulmann MMA

I have read this ignorant thread about TSK. The first thing that comes to my mind is that probably none of you have earned a Black Belt in ANY style. If you had, this thread of ignorance, hearsay, and rhetoric wouldn't be here. Having a Black Belt in Kenpo, high belts in American Combat Karate, and Tae Kwon Do - I can tell that none of you know too much about anything! All of this crap about "buying" your Black Belt from TSK is just what I called it...crap! In addition, TSK is THE ONLY STRUCTURED STYLE IN THIS COUNTRY WITH A PANEL OF HIGH RANKING BLACK BELTS,INCLUDING SHIHAN HIMSELF, THAT JUDGES EVERY ONE TESTING FOR BLACK IN THREE DIFFERENT CATEGORIES, CLOSE RANGE DEFENSE, TAI KICK BOXING AND SUBMISSION GRAPPLING. Only Judo has a federation that judges every student for BB. In other words you will not know the fighters you fight or the judges judging you in the test. That means no sympathy black belts for anyone. TSK also has an entire curriculum of grappling moves you HAVE to know and demonstrate while grappling...as opposed to just over -powering your opponent. We have fight teams that compete and consistently win in NAGA (North American Grappling Association) ROC (ring of combat) The Capitale in Manhattan, have fought in MMA competitions in Atlantic City and had exhibition matches in the IFL this past summer where they won one and lost one. The IFL now wants Tiger Schulmann to coach a 5th team they are starting. TSK is also the only karate or (MMA school which, it now is) that has its 40 Sensei’s come to NJ Headquarters once per week to study with wrestlers, grapplers, Olympic boxers, and Jui Jitsu artists. They bring all of this knowledge back to their schools. Also, every sensei is certified by spending 100 hours on the floor under the supervision of another instructor, 3 written exams, and three practical exams in Grappling, Kick boxing, and Core.
    How many of YOUR Sensei’s have to go through all of that just to teach and continue teaching? Answer = NONE! Once your instructor starts teaching he has no requirements to fullfill in order to "continue" teaching. Nor do most schools have an instructor that has done much of anything! Most of them couldn’t even tell you their lineage!

Your schools are simply jealous of the success of TSK who now has 40 schools and 58 thousand students. If you think your style is better just because it seems esoteric than you're just plain stupid. And talk about "condemnation before investigation"! None of you have ever spent a month in TSK, and these supposed people who claim it's not "hard" enough in class, never learned it's what YOU put in to it! There are good and bad black belts in every style. this is not arguable. If you want to be the best than you have to go that extra mile in ANY style!

One last note...if you're going to mouth off about something at least learn how to spell it! There are 2 N's in Schulmann! What a bunch of amateurs you all are. And quite juvenile as well. Nobody can “buy” a black belt in TSK. I have a friend who was high Brown for over ten years before being sent for his test. The sensei decides when you are ready no matter how much you have paid!

If you would like to challenge me on any of these points, feel free. I have been studying martial arts since 1976 before the majority of you were probably born! I'll be happy to answer any serious questions you may have.
    Last edited by KenpoTkdAckTSK; 11-12-2007 at 01:13 PM.

interesting

so if you have a black belt then it gives you magical psychic powers that give you the ability to tell when other people do not have black belts. i'm wearing a black belt right now and its telling me you don't have a black belt. man why all the lies. seriously thou you shouldn't take what people say on here seriously or accused them of things you no nothing about. i've studied chinese martial arts for most of my life which usually doesn't have any belts. but i did earn a black belt 2nd degree in shotokon karate, goju ryu and shorin ryu. and i think i commented on this thread so that means that your psychic black belt powers have failed.

Post "Why all the lies"?

"Why all the lies"? What lies? And if you're listening to your Black belt that is telling you I don't have one, then your "psychic powers" are as bad as mine. However, I could easily prove that I do have one but it would mean giving up my complete identity. –And this board is not worth doing that.

Shotokon is a great style; the sensei that gave me my BB in Kenpo also had a BB in shotokan. And, I guess you missed my point which I think I stated..."If the people on the board are trashing TSK then they don't have (or shouldn't have) a Black belt" because what I learned after receiving mine, is that I was now simply at the beginning of a new level. In other words-you become smart and don't trash other styles that you have not studied yourself because it's not the way a Black Belt should behave. That's the way of people who don't take that long journey to receive a BB in any syle. Our minds should be at that point where you open up to the realization that no one style has it all, and that you could learn something from every style.

Why don't you re-read my post and think about what I have told you in this reply. You won't be able to deny that the negative posts automatically raise a red flag to me about their knowledge and ranks, as it should you. A real BB does not arrogantly believe that they now know everything. I think the show on the history channel "Human Weapon" does a great job of educating people on the different styles of martial arts. I appreciate a spirited conversation, so thanks for your reply.

human weapon

i lost alot of repect for that show because the host don't know alot. i was joking about the psychic thing. but i agree about the negative post thing. i've personally have never studied at any tiger shulman schools. but i do remember meeting a friend there and when they heard i did CMA they looked at me like they could kick my ass so i asked the sensei there(i forget his name) if i could spar with some of his black belts(he said no, but it was a no with a look of fear) he said they would need shihan's permission so i was whatever but i felt disrespected when i went there. and i feel like if you are a sensei of a style of martial arts you should respect all styles of martial arts regardless. that shows poor teaching skills if you can;t teach your students respect. i think thats what alot of people are talking about on this post. not saying shihan shulman doesn;t have that respect in fact i'm sure he does.

Greetings

Greetings,
    As far as Human Weapon - you're right. But, I'm taping the episodes to educate myself (and more importantly, for my 4 and 1 yr. olds) about the Martial Arts, not because of dumb and dumber. Forget those guys and "take what you can and leave the rest".

As far as you asking a Sensei in a school not your own, I don't think many schools would allow that. I would never think about doing that-so more power to ya. What they told you though, is correct: everything has to be approved by Shihan. That is his way of making sure that every sensei is doing things the same way in order to protect the organization's structure and integrity which, I think is what sets TSK apart from the rest; Every BB has to be obtained from Shihan himself. Nobody skates through.

My philosophy now (at 41) is a lot like the philosophy of Human Weapon, and that means, after receiving a BB in a well established style, there is no reason to stop learning as much as you can from other styles. TSK allows for me to do that. Albeit, it is rare that two BB's would end up in a fight-if they were taught properly- but, if you did, it can only help to have a bigger tool bag than your opponent.

A friend of mine that I received my BB with is also training at a different school today. We talk all the time and feel bad for those of us that got stuck in one dojo. What I learned in TSK (and I have a Brown Belt that will probably turn Black if I pass, this summer) in just submission grappling alone was worth signing up for me. I didn't learn any new kicks or punches having had a BB in Kenpo, but in the Kickboxing classes I learned a lot of counters, boxing strategies, changing angles while slipping, fighting a south paw and more. I got much better at kickboxing than I was prior. If they seem more expensive well, you get what you pay for.

I think you live in NY, right? If you're on Long Island or Manhattan you could train one month for $99.00 or I'll give a 50$ discount card and you tell me what you think. I mean this with true sincerity. If you live in Manhattan, I understand they recently built a school there that is like a sports club. That would be great for you to go to.

The little one is vomiting, so I have to go.
    Later

thanks but no thanks

my karate days are over long over. chinese martial arts is so vast that i'm good with studing it. i've been studing xing yi chuan for 4 years and it is the style for me. it is simplicity at its finest. i'm not looking to be a professional fighter or anything i'm just looking to maintain health and to be able to do martial arts when i'm in my seventies. but hope your school grows big, and i wish you well

Please My Qoute On Page Two!

Quote Originally Posted by jbmmaster View Post
    I heard that tiger shulmans karate is easy. There were people in my kungfu class that switched from TSK to my school because they said it was to easy. I was going to go their also but I didn't think it was worth going to. People in my school make a joke out of tiger shulmans. I mean just look at the commercials for tiger shulmans, thats the most lamest stuff Ive ever seen. But Ive got to admitt they sure market their School well.

"Beware of the chi within JB"
    Please see my post on page two.

PLEASE SEE MY POST ON P.2 - kenpoTkdAckTSK

Quote Originally Posted by jbmmaster View Post
    I heard that tiger shulmans karate is easy. There were people in my kungfu class that switched from TSK to my school because they said it was to easy. I was going to go their also but I didn't think it was worth going to. People in my school make a joke out of tiger shulmans. I mean just look at the commercials for tiger shulmans, thats the most lamest stuff Ive ever seen. But Ive got to admitt they sure market their School well.

"Beware of the chi within JB"
    To all who really want to know...
    PLEASE SEE MY POST ON P.2 - kenpoTkdAckTSK

Ok- to Doug Maverick

Spoken like a true black belt which is a gentleman and a warrior. I respect your dedication to the arts, and consider you in high standing.
    Later, and best wishes.
    Last edited by KenpoTkdAckTSK; 11-13-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: title change

Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I have an adult student who has also been traiinng in TSK for about two years. She really enjoys it-great workout,motivational teacher. The training is divided into Core-which is your pad drills, combos,and self-defense techniques, Kickboxing, which is sparring, and Submission Grappling. It seems that you buy a set amount of hours, say, 200 hrs. You then take classes in each catagory, and depending on how many hours-time on the floor training, will determine you moving up in rank. It's not the same as giving rank for attendance, but it makes sense that if you are spending so many hours training, naturally yuor skill level increases. It's expensive ,but they do alot of demographic research before opening up a new location, and they only open up in upscale, high traffic strip malls.
    She may be an exception to the rule as far as what an average TSK student is, as she has been doing MA for many years and has BB in Kenpo, TKD, trains in Hung-Ga with me, and does Tiger Shullman's Karate.
    Tiger Shullman is totally MMA now, and was probably one of the first to completely revamp his curriculum to MMA.
    All school owners are Tiger Shullman students, so they are highly motivated as well. Sounds like a good school to model.
    TSK is an unbelievable organization. It is always revamping its' curriculum for the grappling and kick boxing because they have their top guys work with the best of the best in all sorts of styles. So as the Olympic Boxing trainers modify their techniques, so does TSK. So everyone in TSK should know that they're always learning cutting edge techniques all the time.

Kenpo is also the style I carry a BB in - as your wife does. I think it’s also an extremely pragmatic style.

The bottom line of all of it is; it enables a person to live at peace within himself knowing he can handle any situation of protecting his family or himself and is the last person that should raise his hands in anger. Every BB should learn and behave with restraint. It’s about walking with your head high and realizing that “arts” are NEVER perfected or they would be sciences. And most importantly – it’s about progress not perfection. I have more respect for the less talented people who work hard and always give their best rather then, the person who is simply more talented and achieves getting a BB because of that. Heart is the most important aspect, in my opinion, not talent.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTkdAckTSK View Post
    TSK is an unbelievable organization. It is always revamping its' curriculum for the grappling and kick boxing because they have their top guys work with the best of the best in all sorts of styles. So as the Olympic Boxing trainers modify their techniques, so does TSK. So everyone in TSK should know that they're always learning cutting edge techniques all the time.

Kenpo is also the style I carry a BB in - as your wife does. I think it’s also an extremely pragmatic style.

The bottom line of all of it is; it enables a person to live at peace within himself knowing he can handle any situation of protecting his family or himself and is the last person that should raise his hands in anger. Every BB should learn and behave with restraint. It’s about walking with your head high and realizing that “arts” are NEVER perfected or they would be sciences. And most importantly – it’s about progress not perfection. I have more respect for the less talented people who work hard and always give their best rather then, the person who is simply more talented and achieves getting a BB because of that. Heart is the most important aspect, in my opinion, not talent.

Just my opinion.
    You are correct in saying that TSK is always revamping their styles to comform with today's popular styles that are out there. Its a good marketing ploy to get people to come to their schools to train and sign up. (I'm not saying its bad at all) Most schools don't go with the latest and greatest martial art out there because they do not want to 'sub' out another instructor that knows more than the head instructor. Its a shame because most of the other schools out there think because their Sensei is a 6th degree black belt, that he knows EVERYTHING. In reality, he doesn't and tries to move you to something else that relates to MMA. It seems that you have gotten to see some other aspects of martial arts instead of sticking to one style. Good for you!

"Every BB should learn and behave with restraint". Let me add that not only Black Belts but martial artists as a whole regardless of rank. If you are taking martial arts, the first thing you are taught is to be humble. Never show off your stuff, or brag, etc. That will get you in trouble fast and you'll be defending yourself before you know it.

You have lots of good valid points. You're pro TSK and I don't blame you. The membership is enormous, the curriculum keeps up with today's arts (you're not sitting there in a horse stance throwing stiff blocks and punches), and its a well structured organization. If all schools were like this, everyone who signs up for martial arts would be getting their money's worth.

My .02 cents.....

SayocBlade

Thumbs up Thank You

I appreciate your comments greatly. You seem to have a good understanding of "the way" re: the martial arts...and that is - "humility".

I truly have been studying since I am 10, on and off, and have learned the same thing about martial arts as I have about college professors: It's easy to fall in to the spell of who you are currently studying under and not until you study with someone else, do you realize how much more there is to learn out there. That's the way of a true student - always being open-minded and teachable.
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    W

Its called... 'Not seeing the light'. Everyone idolizes their teacher/sensei/shihan, etc. What they don't know is that someone else can teach you something new and better within that same style/system. Its unfortunate but everyone falls prey to that. Thank god you and I see the outside light..and no what's inside the barrel. Happy thanksgiving to you and you family

Hope you had a nice T-Giving. One question...

re: you're handle "sayocblade". One of my closest friends whom I earned a BB in Kenpo with, has also seen the light, and is currently studying Kali and Sayoc. I think he's crazy and is gonna end up in jail if he ever uses those knives. Do you study sayoc? if so, what are your feelings about it?