Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Schulman's Horror Stories

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTkdAckTSK View Post
    re: you're handle "sayocblade". One of my closest friends whom I earned a BB in Kenpo with, has also seen the light, and is currently studying Kali and Sayoc. I think he's crazy and is gonna end up in jail if he ever uses those knives. Do you study sayoc? if so, what are your feelings about it?
    He should be smarter than using a knife to defend himself. The knife is there for last resort or when the odds are totally against him like 8 to 1. Life isn't fair so a fight will not be fair either. Sayoc, kali, etc are all warriror arts. They teach defense just like kickboxing, etc. Most of the moves you use in Kali, sayoc can be used without weapons. Sayoc just uses blades all the time (and thats their quote, All blade all the time) but they also teach awareness. As one trains in Sayoc, its more that just slashing.

I wouldn't worry about your friend. Seems that he's intelligent enough to get a BB in kenpo, therefore he's just expanding his horizon in the arts. No shame in that. The more knowledge the better. Guarantee if there was a confrontation, he wouldn't pull out his blade. He would just walk away. If something were to come about, the knife would still be in his pocket while he defended himself.

As a note, there are always consequences to your actions in a violent confrontation. Whether or not your are armed, yes the penalities for concealed weapons carry and usage can be stiff, but also empty hand usage does the same. In a recent schoolyard altercation, a teenager was struck on the side of the neck, and a short time later passed out and died due to the swelling of the bruising shutting off the blood flow in his carotid artery.

In Sayoc Kali, they review cases of justifiable defense of one's self or others in the eyes of the law. Not only this, but we are constantly reminded (and Instructors reinforce this with the students as well) that not all conflicts result in the drawing and use of a weapon. The caveat is that we treat all attacks as if the are an armed one, de-escalating the use of force if necessary.

just my .02

I wouldn't worry about your friend. Seems that he's intelligent enough to get a BB in kenpo,
    hey i know some real *******s and idiots who have third and forth degree black belts in kenpo. and i wouldn't trust them around a tooth pick let alone a knife. while in theory gaining a black belt should come from building your character as well as your body mind and spirit it does not. we all know it to be true. anyway continue on with your conversation just thought i'd add that. also not saying your friend is dumb just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    hey i know some real *******s and idiots who have third and forth degree black belts in kenpo. and i wouldn't trust them around a tooth pick let alone a knife. while in theory gaining a black belt should come from building your character as well as your body mind and spirit it does not. we all know it to be true. anyway continue on with your conversation just thought i'd add that. also not saying your friend is dumb just saying.
    Oops! sorry, I was writing this at 2am and I was doing the death nod while drinkiing a cup of coffee to wake up! LOL..sorry

You are correct. I meant to say that he was at least responsible enough to get a BB in Kenpo. I sorta know where this guy KenpoTkdAckTSK received his bb from and if anyone gets their bb from this school, they are responsible..and I would trust them with a toothpick and knife All the kenpo bb from this school are responsible enough NOT to get into trouble and so forth. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hey Doug!

How was your t-giving? Hope it was as nice as mine.

I believe you said you study Chinese Martial Arts. Did you know that Kenpo's roots go back to the Shaolin Temples? You have to stop focusing on the losers which are present in EVERY style, and determining which is the best art to know based on the students rather than the school.

We all know from watching the first UFC competitions, with Gracie beating everyone with his grappling skills and greatly impacted the martial arts world because it put to rest those laborious and tedious arguments of which style is best.

Everyone with a brain learned that not having ground technique is very limiting especially against a bigger opponent.

Also, i was told that Bruce Lee also believed in taking in other techniques such as Savate, and Grappling. He was 35 years ahead of the curve. Is this true...you're the CMA expert.
    Night

And thank you for proving my point when you said some of these kenpo guys were 3rd and 4th degree black belts! Who promoted them? so many of the local schools self promote their students. In TSK, you're simply given a number and sent to NJ headquarters to test for black in Core(technique) CRD (close range defense) Kick boxing and grappling. There is a different committee for all 4 areas and ALL of it is overseen by Shihan. Getting a 3rd degree in TSK is next to impossible! And like Judo only, the test is overseen at many levels but it is structured and fair. No favors for anyone. That's what I respect about it along with other reasons.
    Last edited by KenpoTkdAckTSK; 11-25-2007 at 09:53 PM.

yes i know the history of kenpo. one guy i know whose a fourth degree was actually promoted by a student of mister ed parker, the other got his in japan when where he is from. i studied small circle jiu jutsu and brazillian jiu jutsu so i know something about ground game. as for CMA expert i don;t know anybody who can claim that. even masters can't claim that CMA is vast hundreds of systems from grappling to striking.i believe in cross training its good to have an understanding of defferent styles of martial arts. however the martial arts is filled with alot of bad guys some guys had no choice but to go that way other guys just were bad from the start. my first kung fu teacher was actually in the triad and is currently doing life in jail. now here's the funny thing he was a great guy and an even better teacher and i didn't know what he was invovled in till i got a phone call from him telling me the school was closing and then later finding out it was because he was going to jail for a long time. but the two dim wits i'm talk about the kenpo guys are just really stupid not in intelligence just in the things they do.

P.S. my thanks giving was great went to the gym the next day to work off all the food i scarfed down.

Also, i was told that Bruce Lee also believed in taking in other techniques such as Savate, and Grappling. He was 35 years ahead of the curve. Is this true...you're the CMA expert.

And thank you for proving my point when you said some of these kenpo guys were 3rd and 4th degree black belts! Who promoted them? so many of the local schools self promote their students. In TSK, you're simply given a number and sent to NJ headquarters to test for black in Core(technique) CRD (close range defense) Kick boxing and grappling. There is a different committee for all 4 areas and ALL of it is overseen by Shihan. Getting a 3rd degree in TSK is next to impossible! And like Judo only, the test is overseen at many levels but it is structured and fair. No favors for anyone. That's what I respect about it along with other reasons.
    Yes, Bruce Lee was very interested in other arts. He incorporated lots of other styles into his own art. If you ever read the book, the Tao Of Jeet Kune Do, you'll see his styles took on lots of boxing and grappling. Now I'm not saying he was a Gracie or Mohommad Ali but he knew that there was some sort of grappling/boxing that each individual had to learn.

but yet his whole system is still based on wing chun theory. i read tao of jeet kuen do. while it does have grabs(which kung fu has, it has a whole system dedicated to it Chin na) it doesn't really have grappling. what it does focus on is striking, mostly center line strike finger jabs etc.

Greetings

I haven't read Bruce Lee's writings. I know about his interest in grappling from a friend of mine only. You seem to be well read on your art form. Good for you. If only others would act the same way as you, we wouldn't have these ridiculous threads trashing other styles because in the end it's about respect, humility, and dedication. I enjoy talking with you and look forward to hearing from you again.
    sincerely,
    W

I haven't read Bruce Lee's writings. I know about his interest in grappling from a friend of mine only. You seem to be well read on your art form. Good for you. If only others would act the same way as you, we wouldn't have these ridiculous threads trashing other styles because in the end it's about respect, humility, and dedication. I enjoy talking with you and look forward to hearing from you again.
    sincerely,
    W
    Thanks, I too have a blackbelt in Kenpo. I came from a good school but the school isn't part of the USKKA (United States Kenpo Karate Association). Whatever though but I learned how to fight well. Thats all that matters in the street right? Now I have weapons training that gives me an edge on my opponent. The martial arts world is small, perhaps we'll run into each other one day

What a Coincidence

My Kenpo school is not part of the USKKA either! I wonder if we are from the same school?
    How can we figure this out anonymously?
    Last edited by KenpoTkdAckTSK; 11-29-2007 at 09:34 PM.

My Kenpo school is not part of the USKKA either! I wonder if we are from the same school?
    How can we figure this out anonymously?
    Perhaps we could see if your 'kung fu is better than mine' or in our case, if your kenpo is better than mine! hahahhahahah just kidding.

have a nice weekend

No Problem!

What's your weight and height? I'm 5'10 172 pd.s and I'm in my 40's.
    How about yourself?

No blades though.
    Last edited by KenpoTkdAckTSK; 12-02-2007 at 09:56 AM.

About Tiger Schulmann if anyone wants to know.

Began training in the martial arts as a child in New York.Has trained and competed throughout the continental United States,Hawaii,and internationally in Japan and Israel.

North American Mas Oyama Full-Contact Karate Champion for six consecutive years (1979-1984),an accomplishment still unequalled today. US representative in the World Open Full-Contact Karate Championships in Tokyo, Japan,1979.Was the youngest and lightest fighter,and one of only eight chosen nationwide.

Winner of over 100 forms and fighting competitions.
    Retired undefeated from competition to create a style of martial arts that combines the most effective streetwise self-defense from the various styles he studied.This hybrid style is known today as Tiger Schulmann’s Karate.

Spearheaded the development and growth of Tiger Schulmann’s Karate from 1 school (1984)to 36 schools (2001),located in New York,New Jersey,Pennsylvania, Connecticut,and Florida.

Received national recognition for his “proven recipe of success on the street”fea-tured in Black Belt Magazine -June 1999,Karate/Kung-Fu illustrated -October 1994,Fighter Magazine -February 1988 and M.A.Training Magazine.

Currently oversees Tiger Schulmann’s Karate Headquarters and Instructor Training Center,a 15,000 square foot state of the art facility,located in northern New Jersey,where he personally trains each of his instructors.

What's your weight and height? I'm 5'10 172 pd.s and I'm in my 40's.
    How about yourself?

No blades though.
    almost the same...

5'10, 185lbs, i'm in my early 30's.

must have blades..life isn't fair...is it? LOL. Just kidding..

Blades?

Well if you need blades then can I just bring a gun?
    lol