Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Schulman's Horror Stories

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTkdAckTSK View Post
    Well if you need blades then can I just bring a gun?
    lol

sure..try to draw it on me...guarantee i'll get a knife in your body and another one coming to your neck before the gun comes out of your holster! LOL

I'll explain one day.

Anyway, enough of this. I sent you a private message. Look on top of the page to the right, its says Private Message. Let me know. Thanks

Sayocblade
    *All Blade, All the time*
    *Atienza Kali-Discipline of the blade*

People can say what they will about Tiger Schulmann. It is not perfect and I do have some criticisms with their policies.

I can say from experience that it had prepared and conditioned me to continue on to other martial arts. I originally started out with a traditional art and was looking for something along the same lines. After taking a partial class, I decided to join even though it was non-traditional. The workouts were some of the best that I have ever been through. Coupled with regular workouts at the gym, my conditioning improved a lot.

I guess depending on the Sensei, some schools were run a little differently than others. They told me that there were no weapons trainings at this particular school which was fine.

Drilling me with basics in the beginning, I was able to improve my punches. This was a big help for later on. And one of the more interesting aspects of the curriculum is their course on Submission Grappling. If you are a UFC fan or watch the Ultimate Fighter ever now and then, you know that ground techniques are part of the equation. I learned a lot and when i watch matches, I can understand some of the terminology like passing the guard or side control. The exposure was very educational and I learned a few moves that have worked elsewhere. Having gone up against people bigger and stronger than myself, I was able to improve and see the things that needed improvement in my game.

Due to some issues, I have not been there to train in a while. (has nothing to do with the proceeding critiques).

Some criticisms I have (based on what I remember about their policies when I was still training);

The payment plan was not very flexible and it took a considerable chunk out of my wallet initially. Having not much money to begin with, it hit me hard.

The commercials, even though entertaining, are a bit misleading. All the participants are black belts.

It is not nor ever really was "karate". It is, and I've heard it advertised (occasionally) as a MMA. Parents would ask what style of "karate" and there would be no answer to that.

The "gear" could be very costly if bought all at once.

Other than those and some that I decided to leave out, I think it is a good starting point for people who are trying to stay in shape, meet new people and learn striking and ground techniques. I wonder if the payment policy has changed.

When I hear people criticize, I can agree with some comments and at others, I just shake my head.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Nice Quote

When I joined TSK, they had already been teaching Muay Tai kick boxing, Core, and S. Grappling. And yes they are, in fact already have, changed their name to TSMMA.
    anyone who remembers the original UFC where Royce Gracie beat everyone with S. Grappling, the Martial Arts world was completely changed forever. It was a no-brainer that surviving a fight had to include S. Grappling. MMA schools are popping up everywhere, but they are really just bringing in a grappler once a week and few learn it well.

Then, just within, i would say 1-2 years ago, Gracie returned and was tapped out by Matt Hughes in 1 min and 40 sec.'s Again the world of M. Arts was rocked to see just how fast good fighters could adapt to the new situation.

It was really the grappling at TSK that drew me in. It happens to be excellently taught by people who really know their stuff.
    As far as the money thing goes, Martial Art schools have to pay the bills to run their school. Local places often charge less but make you wait longer to advance making this whole thing a wash.

As far as the money thing goes, Martial Art schools have to pay the bills to run their school. Local places often charge less but make you wait longer to advance making this whole thing a wash.
    Its all about money. If they advance you too fast, they don't get money for your promotions, belts, etc.

Question It's Definitely About Money

You pay for your college and graduate education and what you're simply paying for is knowledge. So why should Martial Arts be any different?

You pay for your college and graduate education and what you're simply paying for is knowledge. So why should Martial Arts be any different?
    Its is different my friend. When you pay for college, you pay to get an education and you take a test to fail or pass. If you fail, you still have to take the course again and take the test. In martial arts, if you don't get techniques, or you're sloppy, and you've been at that rank for a while, they will still pass you... they don't want you to be frustrated or just sitting there at blue belt or whatever. I know most schools are not like this but I've seen plenty like it.

Case and Point for TSMMA

I can assure you of this about TSK or TSMMA, their is absolutely no social promotions at all. Of'Course the woman fight the woman and the men fight the men in the BB test. The only other organization to actually have an over site committee is JUDO (since 1964) that, every judo BB has to go in front of.

"...Karate, and all its off shoots, are the most corrupt when it comes to BB's, and that explains the difference in ability that is so wide in the BB club..." - Paraphrasing the Encyclopedia of Martial Arts.

Quote Originally Posted by SayocBlade View Post
    Its is different my friend. When you pay for college, you pay to get an education and you take a test to fail or pass. If you fail, you still have to take the course again and take the test. In martial arts, if you don't get techniques, or you're sloppy, and you've been at that rank for a while, they will still pass you... they don't want you to be frustrated or just sitting there at blue belt or whatever. I know most schools are not like this but I've seen plenty like it.
    Some schools operate like that and some don't. I remember at a certain TSK test, one of the students could not perform some of the physical aspects of the test. And they did not pass her. She had to wait for the next exam. I respected that.

Even in another school. I find that there is no guarantee of "passing." That is on your ability. We just pay to take the test. Almost like at a university.

I guess it depends on the school and how the chief instructor runs things. Some are into quality and some are in it for the dinero.

しかたがありあねえん。 We just need to shop around.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Thanks.

When I joined TSK, they had already been teaching Muay Tai kick boxing, Core, and S. Grappling. And yes they are, in fact already have, changed their name to TSMMA.
    anyone who remembers the original UFC where Royce Gracie beat everyone with S. Grappling, the Martial Arts world was completely changed forever. It was a no-brainer that surviving a fight had to include S. Grappling. MMA schools are popping up everywhere, but they are really just bringing in a grappler once a week and few learn it well.

Then, just within, i would say 1-2 years ago, Gracie returned and was tapped out by Matt Hughes in 1 min and 40 sec.'s Again the world of M. Arts was rocked to see just how fast good fighters could adapt to the new situation.

It was really the grappling at TSK that drew me in. It happens to be excellently taught by people who really know their stuff.
    I did not know about submission grappling until I learned it. Adapting to ground techniques was fun. At the time, I was still adjusting to striking as well, so the learning process was very enlightening.

I think Gracie was on the cover of Black Belt Magazine. Just a reminiscent look back at the evolution of MMA and how he changed it forever. Even though he got beat by Hughes, it still doesn't mean he isn't good. Time stands still for no one...not even martial artists. Like you said, the learning curve seems to be getting less and less. The contemporary fighters know it is important to learn grappling and it is a standard in the curriculum.

Right now, I'm seeing if I can perfect a kimura from different positions. It's hard because I don't train as much as I used to (grppling). Going by instruction alone works good for strikes. But as you well know, for grappling, emulation is difficult. It's like feeling your way in the dark and looking for an opening, without looking.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Actually...

Because of my experience in Tae Kwon Do, and the Kick boxing in Kenpo, I still, to this day feel much more "in my comfort zone" of stand up kick boxing. However, I have also come to feel that within their [TSK] kick boxing (which, is tai Kick boxing without the elbows) I have learned a lot more about boxing skills then my kicking skills, which were always my strength and the reason thereof...it's not because they don't teach how to kick.

I've come to the sad realization that S. grappling to Tai Kick boxing is like Chess to Checkers. It really does take a long time for your body to develop the muscle memory of all the grappling moves and counters. Muscle memory being equal in this case to the term "Second Nature"

I'm prepared to go that route. I need goals in my life or i implode!

Because of my experience in Tae Kwon Do, and the Kick boxing in Kenpo, I still, to this day feel much more "in my comfort zone" of stand up kick boxing. However, I have also come to feel that within their [TSK] kick boxing (which, is tai Kick boxing without the elbows) I have learned a lot more about boxing skills then my kicking skills, which were always my strength and the reason thereof...it's not because they don't teach how to kick.

I've come to the sad realization that S. grappling to Tai Kick boxing is like Chess to Checkers. It really does take a long time for your body to develop the muscle memory of all the grappling moves and counters. Muscle memory being equal in this case to the term "Second Nature"

Yes, i agree with you. When training for many years as a stand up fighter and then try to fight on the ground, its hard as hell. I don't like to grapple but I do know how to do somethig if the situation calls for it. You're more comfortable in what you like to do. If you have to go the other route, be prepared and hopefully your training will help you out.

I can assure you of this about TSK or TSMMA, their is absolutely no social promotions at all. Of'Course the woman fight the woman and the men fight the men in the BB test. The only other organization to actually have an over site committee is JUDO (since 1964) that, every judo BB has to go in front of.

"...Karate, and all its off shoots, are the most corrupt when it comes to BB's, and that explains the difference in ability that is so wide in the BB club..." - Paraphrasing the Encyclopedia of Martial Arts.
    Yes. I've seen it where the BB does come into social play. I used to take Isshin-Ryu and there was this one brown belt, 3rd degree, and he *****ed and moaned for his Blackbelt. I saw him on Monday, Wednesday he had his blackbelt. Everything was hush hush about it till I found out about it. Nevertheless, I quit and never came back. He was a total ass*ole anyway. He was this big muscle bounded guy that thought since he had muscle, he could beat every teenager in the house..LOL!!!!!!! But one time his little 4 yr old son was in our class. The son held up a kicking shield and the father (the newly bb), took a back kick to it. The son had his hands up and popped himself in the mouth. The kick was 75% full power... and the kid was bleeding. What an ass.. that was the last straw. Not only did he cry for his blackbelt, he didn't set a good example.

That analogy is appropriate. The chief instructor was explaining to us the difference between stand up fighting and ground techniques. I'm starting to feel comfortable with both but there's always room for improvement.

Goals are necessary. In addition, learning from challenge and change is another facet that I try to follow (a motto taken from a business).
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Quote Originally Posted by SayocBlade View Post
    Yes. I've seen it where the BB does come into social play. I used to take Isshin-Ryu and there was this one brown belt, 3rd degree, and he *****ed and moaned for his Blackbelt. I saw him on Monday, Wednesday he had his blackbelt. Everything was hush hush about it till I found out about it. Nevertheless, I quit and never came back. He was a total ass*ole anyway. He was this big muscle bounded guy that thought since he had muscle, he could beat every teenager in the house..LOL!!!!!!! But one time his little 4 yr old son was in our class. The son held up a kicking shield and the father (the newly bb), took a back kick to it. The son had his hands up and popped himself in the mouth. The kick was 75% full power... and the kid was bleeding. What an ass.. that was the last straw. Not only did he cry for his blackbelt, he didn't set a good example.
    So, if I read this correctly...this dude made his own son bleed?! Nice (not). I bet Father's Day wasn't so special that year.

People like that make me sick. At the gym, I see guys with that type of mentality all the time. They may be strong but they are still lacking something.

Bravo. I think I would have left in a similar situation. There's no way you could train knowing that your superiors did not earn their ranks (at least that is my opinion).

And as for that dude, he must be some piece of work if he would actually strut around in a Black Belt that he earned by whining. The symbol of the BB was totally lost. I'm sure his four year old son was more mature than he was.

I don't know. Maybe I've matured over the years but I find that a lot of times, belts cause more trouble than they are worth. Too much emphasis on color and not on skill, ability or attitude. As one chief instructor had said..."In the street, everyone's a white belt. I take it to mean that when you meet a stranger, you don't know what he knows. There is no indication of training (if any at all or to what degree); so to get into a physical confrontation should be a last resort. I know my own abilities and have no need to show off unnecessarily or to go looking for trouble.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    So, if I read this correctly...this dude made his own son bleed?! Nice (not). I bet Father's Day wasn't so special that year.

People like that make me sick. At the gym, I see guys with that type of mentality all the time. They may be strong but they are still lacking something.

Bravo. I think I would have left in a similar situation. There's no way you could train knowing that your superiors did not earn their ranks (at least that is my opinion).

And as for that dude, he must be some piece of work if he would actually strut around in a Black Belt that he earned by whining. The symbol of the BB was totally lost. I'm sure his four year old son was more mature than he was.

I don't know. Maybe I've matured over the years but I find that a lot of times, belts cause more trouble than they are worth. Too much emphasis on color and not on skill, ability or attitude. As one chief instructor had said..."In the street, everyone's a white belt. I take it to mean that when you meet a stranger, you don't know what he knows. There is no indication of training (if any at all or to what degree); so to get into a physical confrontation should be a last resort. I know my own abilities and have no need to show off unnecessarily or to go looking for trouble.
    Yup. He was so proud of his blackbelt. I found out how he whined about getting his black belt a few years after one of the instructors left also. Said he was a crying *****..LOL .

Yes, the place where I'm at, my instructor doesn't like rank either but he does it to see where everyone is with the cirriculum. Whatever, I like what your chief instructor said about everyone being a white belt. Very interesting!