Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mor Wan Palm

Anyone doing the"Single Push Hand" palm form in Tai Chi Mantis style?

Anyone doing the"Single Push Hand" palm form in Tai Chi Mantis style?

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydbLT8_kes

List of movements: http://ccktcpmantis.com/index.php?op...d=61&Itemid=56

I have learnt only 10 moves or so.. feeling good so far.
    Last edited by blackjesus; 03-17-2011 at 08:00 PM.

just curious why you would want to learn a form from a system you are not studying.... there are so many things in our own sytems that take so many years to begin to understand.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Cos It is good for health and I might able to learn it from someone.
    Technically it is not a Tai Chi Mantis but Grand Master Chiu learn it form a taoist monk.

My style is Hung Gar but the Chi Gung form of Hung Gar are way too advance (Iron Wire form) for me and I won't able to learn it until I learn all the other forms, which will take few years.

I can also go learn a tai chi form but Touching Cloud Palm is good stuff and i now have a chance to learn, you know.

My style is Hung Gar but the Chi Gung form of Hung Gar are way too advance (Iron Wire form) for me and I won't able to learn it until I learn all the other forms, which will take few years.
    my point exaclty, with so much to learn in the style you practice daily (in this case hung gar) why venture onto something else until your style has been mastered.

PS its all good for health if that's your goal.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by blackjesus View Post
    Anyone doing the "teaching the clould" palm form in Tai Chi Mantis style?

Do you think it is worthwhile to learn even I don't do Tai Chi Mantis style? What should I expect from it?
    If you don't mind my asking, who would be the person that is going to teach you the form? Now, please understand I am not asking for the name of the person per se. I am asking if the person in question really is a qualified teacher of CCK TCPM or he is rather a student who is willing to share his "knowledge"? BTW, beware of people who basically "transcribe" from video learning and claim to teach from really learning experience.

If he is a qualified teacher, then congratulations. You are indeed fortunate to take on such a beautiful form. If, however, he is but student, then I would rather caution you while it is a great opportunity you may not necessarily getting all the nuance and benefit of the training. While health benefit is important, it is also essential to realize that the training of this form should enhance your martial experience as well.

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    If he is a qualified teacher, then congratulations. You are indeed fortunate to take on such a beautiful form. If, however, he is but student, then I would rather caution you while it is a great opportunity you may not necessarily getting all the nuance and benefit of the training. While health benefit is important, it is also essential to realize that the training of this form should enhance your martial experience as well.

Regards

Mantis108
    Thanks buddy! :-)
    He's been teaching for almost a decade and he is teaching for free.
    I have lots "yuen fan" with CCK tai chi mantis.

The 1st kung fu form I ever learn is 8 stances (even though i wasn't learning tai chi mantis) and I have chance to learn the shaolin Buddha wooden dummy (but I was doing Hung Gar instead).

I did seven stars mantis before when I was still living in HK but I don't think I will learn other CCK mantis stuff as 1) I want to focus on my style; 2)Northern Mantis is not the right style for me.

Maybe I will learn a straight sword form as well if he is willing to teach. Straight sword is full of grace.

one of the student of this teacher told me it is easy to learn as there ain't no special breathing like other forms, is that right?

It will be good to practise it or just a Beijing 24 to soften myself after some Hung Gar and Barbell/Kettlebell training.

Thanks again. and gung hei fat choi!

The 1st kung fu form I ever learn is 8 stances (even though i wasn't learning tai chi mantis)
    I have chance to learn the shaolin Buddha wooden dummy (but I was doing Hung Gar instead).

I did seven stars mantis before when I was still living in HK

I don't think I will learn other CCK mantis stuff

I want to focus on my style;

Northern Mantis is not the right style for me.

Maybe I will learn a straight sword form as well if he is willing to teach. Straight sword is full of grace
    wow lets talk about contradictions, sorry if i am coming across harshly but you are spending alot of your time learnin somethign you said yo dont want to learn. jusat a little confusing, master what you know in your own style before you fill your self with stuff from other styles especially when you say its not the right style for you
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Well, I was talking about from 18 years old to 33 years old (big break in between as I was working 16 hours a day in front of the computer for a few years.) 8 stances is a form that teach you the 8 basic stances when you enter the world of Kung Fu. That's why my 1st sifu in Hong Kong taught me that. And I don't really need to do it anymore cause all the stances are in all other forms.

He then taught me Seven Stars Mantis and, few years after that, Hung Gar. I decided to stop doing Seven stars Mantis so I can focus on Hung Gar as I'm trying to a few things better but not doing heaps of stuff and not lame at all of them. (and that's why I chose not to learnt the Buddha Dummy Form) In fact, I won a gold medal for my Gung Gee Fok Fu form (Hung Gar)in a touranment few years ago.

I'm still practising my Hung Gar and the reason I said I don't think I will learn other CCK mantis stuff is because I don't want to mix things up.

Hung Gar forms are all very "hard" and learning ONE soft form from other style won't hurt. In fact, Mor Wan Jang is not even a CCK Mantis form but a form that Master Chiu learnt from a taoist monk.

It is like, say, I go to do Yoga or swimming or go to the park to do Tai Chi. And also, I don't really like the weapon of Hung Gar so I said "Maybe I will learn a straight sword form as well if he is willing to teach."

I gottcha, again not juding by any means however, in martail arts it is always better to be really good at one style then collect forms from others, this is like haveing many eggs with no yolks.

I have been asked to teach forms to people who are not in 8 step and I will always refuse, no matter what is offered.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Just do it!

I didn't start doing the tai chi side of cck tcpm until three years ago. I added it to my mantis training. It has made me more relaxed and balanced in my mantis. Sifu Li's students/classmates are in Melbourne. Check out my video playlists on youtube. I have one of Sifu in Australia reviewing two man bung bo with the Sifu who may be your teacher. I also have a playlist of all the videos I've found thus far of Mor Wan Jeung, including a performance by my class (I'm the one with the blond ponytail.)

I have also learned the next form, dan tre sou and am halfway through taiji jian...The next form is tai chi chuan, the longest one. After that I will be allowed to learn the techniques and applications of the forms with the advanced class. Many students in our class (including four women) do tai chi, mantis, and iron shirt training classes every week. It is the complete system as Sigong taught it.

Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TaichiMantis?feature=mhum

www.sifulee.com

Sifu has talked about another trip to Australia...he is now in his mid 70's. I will let you know if anything firms up.
    Last edited by TaichiMantis; 02-01-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Mor Wan Palm or Touch Cloud Palm was said to be invented earlier than Taichi,it contained more fighting techniques than Taichi. It can be practiced in two different ways-one is good for health and the other is mainly aimed in the application.May be this is my Shan Tung Mantis Series 4 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by alextse4 View Post
    Mor Wan Palm or Touch Cloud Palm was said to be invented earlier than Taichi,it contained more fighting techniques than Taichi. It can be practiced in two different ways-one is good for health and the other is mainly aimed in the application.May be this is my Shan Tung Mantis Series 4 next year.
    Interesting! Do other cck tcpm Sifus teach the application side...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by alextse4 View Post
    Tse sifu, Didn't know that you post here!
    Gung hai fat Choi! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by blackjesus View Post
    Tse sifu, Didn't know that you post here!
    Gung hai fat Choi! :-)
    恭喜發財!
    I like to learn more from here hehe!