Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kung fu schools china

Kung fu schools china

Hey Gene,

Just picked up the New KFM and I was wondering if you could recommend schools in Shanghai, Beijing or Hong Kong?

Where would be good place to study in each city?

Maybe next issue if you have space to do a 1 page list of shaolin, wushu and wing chun schools in each city. Maybe list how to train at shaolin temple and southern shaolin temple?

Maybe school listings are paid for

We do have a school directory in each issue, but none are in China. Those listings aren't a courtesy. All of the listings are of schools and stores that distribute our magazine. It's actually fairly inexpensive, unless your outside of the U.S.

We currently have two China schools that advertise in our magazine:
    Beijing Shaolin Wushu School
    Kunyu Mountain Shaolin Martial Arts Academy

We also list the contact information for most of the China-based masters when we cover them in the magazine.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

yeah when it comes down to it, kfm is a biz, not an american kungfu bible...

is the real shaolin school at the monestary, or near it, a non profit or do the treat it like a biz too??? not the schools littered around it, i mean the actual temple...??

there are many wushu schools near shaolin temple or deng feng city.

there are also many wushu schools in shanghai and beijing

--

depending on what you want

just about every major city there are kung fu or wushu schools.

---

Wing Chun in Hong Kong go to the VTAA train with yip chun.....thats what I would do if I were to be out that way ever.....

If you read chinese, here's a good site with schools and teachers listed:

http://www.niudor.com/

You can search by province/city or style.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    there are many wushu schools near shaolin temple or deng feng city.

there are also many wushu schools in shanghai and beijing

--

depending on what you want

just about every major city there are kung fu or wushu schools.

---
    Yeah I would like to map out where I am training first before i start wondering around china

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We do have a school directory in each issue, but none are in China. Those listings aren't a courtesy. All of the listings are of schools and stores that distribute our magazine. It's actually fairly inexpensive, unless your outside of the U.S.

We currently have two China schools that advertise in our magazine:
    Beijing Shaolin Wushu School
    Kunyu Mountain Shaolin Martial Arts Academy

We also list the contact information for most of the China-based masters when we cover them in the magazine.

Yeah i saw these, have you trained at etheir school?

What i would like to do is train shaolin and wing chun when I go. Wushu not so much ...but if i cant find a real shaolin school then I will.

If the place has a web site and times that would be very helpfull in planing my trip!

I would very much appreciate it if someone could direct me to some schools in one of the Shanghai, Beijing or Hong Kong areas.

Thumbs up A list of Kung Fu Schools in China

Quote Originally Posted by ktkungfu View Post
    What i would like to do is train shaolin and wing chun when I go. Wushu not so much ...but if i cant find a real shaolin school then I will.

If the place has a web site and times that would be very helpfull in planing my trip!

I would very much appreciate it if someone could direct me to some schools in one of the Shanghai, Beijing or Hong Kong areas.
    I have been noticing a lot of people talking about finding good kung fu schools in China, so I've been gathering a list of kung fu schools with all the information in one place, such as their web address, where the school is, training time, overview of the school and bios of the masters that teach there.

I created this site called www.greatkungfuofchina.com it is not affiliated with any school, it's an open site for people to list their schools or masters and write reviews about their experience at the kung fu schools.

If you find a school that isn't listed, please suggest it and if you have trained at a school you can write a review and let others know what it's really like. I hope this helps

Pretty handy page - definitely something to develop. Check out www.niudor.com for a Chinese list of schools/teachers in China. Some provinces are much more developed in terms of listing our teachers than others - but still a pretty good page to check out if someone is looking for some teachers in their area.

Glad I found this post, since I have a similar question about finding schools in Hong Kong. Though the previous links were helpful, unfortunately, I believe most of those schools are in the mainland. I originally posted this in the Southern Kung Fu forum, but would be open to listening to others here as well. Here is the original post:

"In about a week, I will be going to Hong Kong where I will be teaching at an educational consulting company for two years. Though I've looked up some things online, I wanted to ask if anyone could make suggestions concerning Kung Fu schools in Hong Kong. I specifically posted in this forum because I am interested in studying a Southern style, particularly Hung Gar or Choy Li Fut. However, I am open to learning Northern Praying Mantis (which is a style I dabbled in that several years ago) or any other Kung Fu style.

Ideally, I'd like to train in a school or with a master who knows traditional forms and how to apply these techniques in a real fight. I wouldn't be averse to any hard training. Indeed, I'd actually welcome it.

For those who are in the know about Hong Kong, I will be living and working on the main island, in Central Hong Kong, close to Sheung Wan. Would this make it more difficult to find a school? Indeed, I've heard that most of the serious schools are located in Kowloon.

In any case, any help that you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!"
    "Watch the skies, the DRAGON flies!"

"On life's journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him."- Buddha

There's a school of Chuojiao (Jiangsu branch) in HK that I know and think they're ok.
    They train at Ma On Shan (馬鞍山) area in the New Territories.

In China and other parts of the world the best gung fu is hidden.
    No advertisement, no sign out front, no website and no magazine ad.
    You find them through luck and blessed chance association.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Yeah, the best schools (at least in Mainland) are pretty hidden. I've been hunting for schools here in Dalian for a bit and haven't had much luck at all - but one of the best pieces of advice I've gotten in my hunt is to look at the parks early in the morning.

Also, again mostly in the Mainland side of things, the parks offer less of the wushu-version of things and a bit more of the traditional. As someone said, if there is a school - you are being trained to go out in the public eye with tournaments and such.