Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body Shots

Body Shots

Hi all

Thought i start a thread on Body Shots

Phil mentioned a few options he employs in regard to them on another thread but i thought id ask everyone else thoughts

I find sparring (both MT & Boxing) that it can be hard to get of the WC punch as a body shot on occasion.
    Personally, i feel a bit open at times in comparison to when i use boxing techniques, in regards to body shots, and i feel this is due to the static head height of WC.

Thoughts?

GlennR

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Hi all

Thought i start a thread on Body Shots

Phil mentioned a few options he employs in regard to them on another thread but i thought id ask everyone else thoughts

I find sparring (both MT & Boxing) that it can be hard to get of the WC punch as a body shot on occasion.
    Personally, i feel a bit open at times in comparison to when i use boxing techniques, in regards to body shots, and i feel this is due to the static head height of WC.

Thoughts?

GlennR
    Dont have static head hights then. its not a natural law

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    Dont have static head hights then. its not a natural law
    Well i agree with that..... but it challenges the satus quo of most WC practiotioners ive seen

Wing chun has lots of body shots- with power- if properly trained.

Think of the work on the dummy at levels below the two top dummy hands.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Wing chun has lots of body shots- with power- if properly trained.

Think of the work on the dummy at levels below the two top dummy hands.

joy chaudhuri
    Sure, i get that Joy..... been doing WC a little while

But my comment is that when i see WC people sparring non-WC people they basically head hunt which, as the boxer-WC video showed, becomes extremely predictable.

So my ongoing question would be.... how do we make ourselves less predictable

GlennR

I think that part of the problem is when we "spar" a boxer you are trying to modify wing chun to fulfill a purpose that it was not designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by jeetsao View Post
    I think that part of the problem is when we "spar" a boxer you are trying to modify wing chun to fulfill a purpose that it was not designed for.
    What "modifications" are you referring to and what "purpose" was VT "not designed for"?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    What modifications are you referring to and what purpose was VT not designed for?
    Actually i just re read his comment and am not too sure what he's getting at?

If you play by the boxer's rules, many of the weapons of wing chun are left out. Elbows, kicks, open hand strikes, etc. . If gloves are worn, it creates other issues. In addition, often the wing chun guys takes on a boxing mentality of "going rounds rather than finishing on the first engagement. I know I am generalizing but it is what I have observed.

[QUOTE=GlennR;1076099]Sure, i get that Joy..... been doing WC a little while

But my comment is that when i see WC people sparring non-WC people they basically head hunt which, as the boxer-WC video showed, becomes extremely predictable.

So my ongoing question would be.... how do we make ourselves less predictable

------------------------------------------------------------
    IMO that is a wing chun mind set question...being ready to hit the closest point . Good chi sao and gor sao -not just head hunting chi sao-trains one for that.

Re another post (the next one?) on this thread- with good training with wing chun motions- one can adapt in using gloves if the occasion calls for it...using the wing chun engine and applications.It takes training and practice.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by jeetsao View Post
    If you play by the boxer's rules, many of the weapons of wing chun are left out. Elbows, kicks, open hand strikes, etc. . If gloves are worn, it creates other issues. In addition, often the wing chun guys takes on a boxing mentality of "going rounds rather than finishing on the first engagement. I know I am generalizing but it is what I have observed.
    Excellent post.

Essentially, we are creating the problem.

I think that in a real life self defence application head shots are fine because instead of punching just use a bill jee strike to the eyes , its easiy to hit. In sparing practise body shots because they canbe a little harder to pull off even with 4 ounce gloves, using a wing chun punch

I think that one should be hitting the targets that are open, regardless of whether it's the head or the body. And the point the OP made about wing chun head positioning and stance being predictable and not conducive to throwing body shots also seems right. If a hook or an uppercut shot is available to the body, why not throw it, even if it doesn't exactly look like typical wing chun? Maybe the basic wing chun head and body positioning is a bit rigid and too straight up?

Quote Originally Posted by Niersun View Post
    Excellent post.

Essentially, we are creating the problem.

Agreed!

ignore this < it wants more than 10 letters>

Hey Glenn!

---Why is that? Are you using the "uppercut" from the Chum Kiu form? Its great for body shots. Are you using the straight low punch derived from the "teut sau" motions of the Siu Lim Tao form? Also good for body shots. Are you really close when you throw them?

---Why would the head height have anything to do with being open to body shots? If you are bending over with your chin forward are you any less open to body shots? You just have to keep your arms/elbows in a little tighter for coverage if you think body shots are coming. Then as soon as one hits on your arm as it covers, you spring off sharply with a straight punch to his face.