Thread: Throwing Dummies

Throwing Dummies

Quick question, can some of you suggest places online to get a good deal on a throwing dummy? I'm probably going to have to settle for a 70-pounder...I would prefer a slightly heavier one, but doubt I'll be able to afford it. I'm probably going to mosey over to the local Sport Authority to see what they may have, but my hopes are never high when it comes to sport shops.

Also, those of you that have owned one for a significant amount of time, how do they hold up? I'm really not looking to plop a hefty chunk of change on something that won't last. I would expect it to be used 3-4 times a week.

I did a quick forum search, but there were no topics specific to the query and I didn't want to dredge through pages to find recommendations.

no idea on where to get a good deal, but i'd suggest just pick a design you like, and can afford, made by a reliable company. duct tape will take care of the rest.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    I have a 90 lb throwing dummy and my student has a 120 lb one. My student told me that he regreted to get 120 lb one just because the dead weight make the dummy feel more that it's weight. The one I have is a plastic one. It doesn't hold well. Both the waist and arm are broken now (I use it 5 days a week and 150 throws daily). It may be better to get a leather one. It's more expensive but may last longer. I won't even suggest 90 lb one. When I picked up that dummy from the ground over and over, it hurt my elbow joint without knowing. I had to rest for 3 months for my elbow joint injury. Try not to pick up dummy from the ground as I did in the following clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFRLWfYL2Kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuBi8YIFrc
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-01-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhallicWarlord View Post
    Quick question, can some of you suggest places online to get a good deal on a throwing dummy? I'm probably going to have to settle for a 70-pounder...I would prefer a slightly heavier one, but doubt I'll be able to afford it. I'm probably going to mosey over to the local Sport Authority to see what they may have, but my hopes are never high when it comes to sport shops.

Also, those of you that have owned one for a significant amount of time, how do they hold up? I'm really not looking to plop a hefty chunk of change on something that won't last. I would expect it to be used 3-4 times a week.

I did a quick forum search, but there were no topics specific to the query and I didn't want to dredge through pages to find recommendations.
    I have a 100 lb dummy from Combat Sports. It's 4 years old and has seen a lot of action, and it's still in great shape. I think I paid $100 for it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

no idea on where to get a good deal, but i'd suggest just pick a design you like, and can afford, made by a reliable company. duct tape will take care of the rest.
    At that point, I'll be using Gorilla Tape

I have a 90 lb throwing dummy and my student has a 120 lb one. My student told me that he regreted to get 120 lb one just because the dead weight make the dummy feel more that it's weight. The one I have is a plastic one. It doesn't hold well. Both the waist and arm are broken now (I use it 5 days a week and 150 throws daily). It may be better to get a leather one. It's more expensive but may last longer. I won't even suggest 90 lb one. When I picked up that dummy from the ground over and over, it hurt my elbow joint without knowing. I had to rest for 3 months for my elbow joint injury. Try not to pick up dummy from the ground as I did in the following clips.
    I was actually thinking 90 lbs. would be what I want. Much thanks for the advice on the dummy and the insight on picking up the dummy, I appreciate it. I have to admit, though, I'm missing how the injury was caused. You seem to be picking it up in a fairly non-injury-inducing manner. Is there a "trick" you've since learned to prevent re-injury? Like how one might pick up a motorcycle that's dropped?

I have a 100 lb dummy from Combat Sports. It's 4 years old and has seen a lot of action, and it's still in great shape. I think I paid $100 for it.
    That sounds right up my alley, though I can't find anything matching that price range at Combat Sports. Was it on sale or something? Or am I looking at the wrong website?

Blog Entries
    I have to admit, though, I'm missing how the injury was caused. You seem to be picking it up in a fairly non-injury-inducing manner. Is there a "trick" you've since learned to prevent re-injury? Like how one might pick up a motorcycle that's dropped?
    It was the "speed" that I picked up that caused the injury. Weight and speed are always against each other in training. If you touch your upper arms against your chest and keep both arms "bending" when you pick it up "slowly", you will prevent injury. Try to use your whole body instead of just the arms.

Tiger Claw offers a Grappling Dummy now

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It was the "speed" that I picked up that caused the injury. Weight and speed are always against each other in training. If you touch your upper arms against your chest and keep both arms "bending" when you pick it up "slowly", you will prevent injury. Try to use your whole body instead of just the arms.
    Gotcha. Thank you for the tip.

Tiger Claw offers a Grappling Dummy now
    Noted, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

PhallicWarlord

I'll let you know if a faulty one comes through and gets tossed out.

It's not likely. I hear the first shipment was fine.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'll let you know if a faulty one comes through and gets tossed out.

It's not likely. I hear the first shipment was fine.
    Haha sweet, thanks. Wonder if your neighbors will spot me pulling what looks like a body OUT of your dumpster...probably used to seeing 'em go in.

I saw the dummy in the latest issue, too, looks very sturdy.

Blog Entries
    Wonder if your neighbors will spot me pulling what looks like a body OUT of your dumpster...
    One usage of the throwing dummy is if you put it in the passenger seat, you can drive on the car pool lane. If you let it stand next to your front door, no burglar will ever want to break into your house.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-02-2011 at 10:57 PM.

I have a very realist dummy that I use from striking and sick and blade work, it's the type of dummy that is used by firemen in their drills and it looks just like a real person.
    A buddy of mine asked to borrow it for a bit and I lent it to him.
    He put it in his passenger seat and drove off.
    Next day he calls me laughing.
    He tells me how he is stopped on a red light and a car with a family is next to him and how he had put a baseball cap on the dummy to make it look like a person.
    Well, as the family looked on my buddy processed to strike the dummy in the face over and over and then drive its head against the dash !
    The family starting freaking out and honking the horn !
    LMAO !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have a very realist dummy that I use from striking and sick and blade work, it's the type of dummy that is used by firemen in their drills and it looks just like a real person.
    He tells me how he is stopped on a red light and a car with a family is next to him and how he had put a baseball cap on the dummy to make it look like a person.
    Well, as the family looked on my buddy processed to strike the dummy in the face over and over and then drive its head against the dash !
    LMAO !!
    I would have paid good money to have seen that in person....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I would have paid good money to have seen that in person....LOL
    Considering that he is 6 1/2 feet tall, bald with a goatee and almost 300lbs, you can only imagine the sight !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

One usage of the throwing dummy is if you put it in the passenger seat, you can drive on the car pool lane. If you let it stand next to your front door, no burglar will ever want to break into your house.
    Lol good idea. I remember when I first got my B.O.B. (Body Outline Bag...you know, those human-looking striking dummies with the empty, soul-searing eyes) and set it up in my apartment, for the first two weeks, every time I walked into the living room I'd get startled and ready to attack the trespasser. Two weeks of "WHO THE F.....I hate you, Bob...."

LMAO !!
    Awesome, the mental image of him smashing the dummy's head into the dash made me chuckle