Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Inch Power

What is Inch Power

What is Inch Power and How Does one Develop it in WC to where you can manifest it outside of doing just forms and meaningless demostrations.

How does one bridge the training of inch power to actual application and usagae against an resisting opponent....

Also Share methods on how one trains and develops inch power?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Inch power can be used to go from a defense fence to a unexpected attack using the closest hand{idle hand) to strike your opponent .full offencive attack with suprising force

You should have 6 inch power in your punch/strike, inch implies that it's not going through the intended target. as you see with most youtube chain punching clips.

The wc punch, i like to think of as being that last 6 inch. the rest of the movement is just to get it to it's intended target. once you stop associating distance with power you start having power from shorter and shoter ranges.

In a word... practice!

A good way to practice it is punch, bend your elbow and punch again (same hand) soon you'll be hitting form the second position to start with, then shorten it again if you think you need to.

As for use... you'll find that out at the time it's needed ")

It'll come to you, give it time.

Why is the point of this thread inch power? How do you measure inch power?

How about no inch?

Why only 6 inches for TDO?

Why not 1 foot? 2 feet? 6 feet? 9 feet?

This is the way I think... maybe we learned wrong... maybe there was miscommunication, maybe we took something too literally, maybe mistranslation.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    just relax....

"My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

'Inch power" is maximum force (or work) over the smallest possible distance.
    All MA have them in various manifestations.
    How one develops them is dependent not only on the system ( delivery platform) but also on the method.
    Whether we call it inch power or short power or fa jing or whatever, the goal is to do the work ( whatever it may be: strike, push, pull, etc) over the shortest distance.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    'Inch power" is maximum force (or work) over the smallest possible distance.
    That's a good definition.

IMO, the easiest way to train this is to start from a very soft and relax body movement such as a "cross punch" with weak intend, when your limb almost reach to your target, you suddently accelerate, tense your body, with strong "intend", and give everything you have.

The advantage of this kind of force is you don't have to commit yourself until at the last moment. Your body will be less telegraph and your balance will be less affected.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Inch force implies no retraction of the hand and delivery
    Of substantial force. Chi sao develops this force exchange
    At close quarters without retraction .....
    As we improve we can generate force from the shortest
    Distances....creating sudden shocking energy.
    How one uses this force is part of the training.
    Chi sao develops us to pak without pulling our hand away first
    I nthe same vein.
    Non telegraphic actions

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    just relax....

Yes! Agree

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That's a good definition.

IMO, the easiest way to train this is to start from a very soft and relax body movement such as a "cross punch" with weak intend, when your limb almost reach to your target, you suddently accelerate, tense your body, with strong "intend", and give everything you have.

The advantage of this kind of force is you don't have to commit yourself until at the last moment. Your body will be less telegraph and your balance will be less affected.
    Yep, good drill.
    I have seen great "inch power" in almost every MA I have trained in.

My point is people are fooled by the starting 1 inch. The movement of the body is more than 1 inch, and the focus behind is greater than 6 inches.

Robert makes an excellent point, regardless of how far ( or how short) a limb travels or a movement is done, it is a WHOLE body move.
    Not to mention the follow-through.

Its like an orgasmic spasm, gentlemen. (If you remember what that is.) And certainly more penetrating than an inch or 6 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Why is the point of this thread inch power? How do you measure inch power?

How about no inch?

Why only 6 inches for TDO?

Why not 1 foot? 2 feet? 6 feet? 9 feet?

This is the way I think... maybe we learned wrong... maybe there was miscommunication, maybe we took something too literally, maybe mistranslation.

TBH i don't measure how far i go..... my point is you have to go through the target to get maximum effect..... some times only halfway through, depending on the target and the effect your after.

You see people hitting a heavy bag with there laughable chain punch's, not one of them going through there target. i think this is due to this whole inch power ****.

But you can punch however you like my friend ")

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Robert makes an excellent point, regardless of how far ( or how short) a limb travels or a movement is done, it is a WHOLE body move.
    Not to mention the follow-through.

I would consider that the basic punch which his teacher should show him, sounds contradictory that i'm saying go through the target as his teacher should show him that, but how many youtube clips have you seen of people understanding or evan acknowledging this?