Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is Inch Power

Inch power shouldn't be thought of as a technique. It happens every time you punch. When you make contact with your opponent, your arm is still bent. Then when you drive through him, THAT'S inch power. When you develop this ability, then even when your fist is a very short distance, you should still be able to generate a lot of power. That's why I don't think of it as a technique. Rather I think it's part of everything you do in Wing Chun. Every time your fist moves, the inch power is starting automatically.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkout View Post
    Inch power shouldn't be thought of as a technique.
    Agree!

I believe the title of this thread is "Inch Power" and not "Inch Punch". The "Inch Punch" is a punch that uses the "Inch Power". But there are many different ways to apply "Inch Power". A quick downward strike or downward pulling is also "Inch Power".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJP5h...eature=related
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-05-2011 at 01:25 PM.

It is nothing more than a parler trick. All martial arts have plenty of these parler tricks. It is designed to capture the imagination of new student prospects, and is of absolutely no benefit to a fighter. Now, granted, one can do it better if he has a good solid foundation and a bit of technique, but it is not something that you will ever do in a self defense situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    It is nothing more than a parler trick. but it is not something that you will ever do in a self defense situation.
    Hi Lee!

I assume you are talking about the "1 inch punch" that Bruce demo'd, and not the actual "inch power"? Because I think "short power" or "inch power" has plenty of applications in a self-defense situation!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    It is nothing more than a parler trick. All martial arts have plenty of these parler tricks. It is designed to capture the imagination of new student prospects, and is of absolutely no benefit to a fighter. Now, granted, one can do it better if he has a good solid foundation and a bit of technique, but it is not something that you will ever do in a self defense situation.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    One should didtinguish between a demo and real inch(or less) power. The latter comes with good wing chun practice over time. The former can have an element of a push- because people like to see a person being moved.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Which is what I don't see in Bruce's demo, he is pushing and that's why the guy goes flying...
    That was my point, he was doing the typical "pushing" demo.
    I should have made it more clear, sorry.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That was my point, he was doing the typical "pushing" demo.
    I should have made it more clear, sorry.
    With all respect, Brucie doesn't push in his famous demo! I have seen others that do, but this demo is a strike.

The reaction looks that way simply because of the shield that the receiver has in place (power spreading over the surface area of the pad forcing him backwards) If the guys pad wasn't there, and Bruce done the same move below the sternum he would just drop onto the floor!

Even if you repeat this directly onto the sternum the person will fall backwards instead, not downwards into a crumpled mess, but there is a risk of breaking the sternum too. Not funny.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

it was all Yellow Pages and hanging paper striking!

Any chance of going into detail on the paper striking?

Sounds to me like some thing worth trying.... is it ?

Cheers

I purchased a copy of Demille's book on the inch punch a decade ago. I think he talks about falling/dropping your body and lifting the back heel up as you strike.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    With all respect, Brucie doesn't push in his famous demo! I have seen others that do, but this demo is a strike.

The reaction looks that way simply because of the shield that the receiver has in place (power spreading over the surface area of the pad forcing him backwards) If the guys pad wasn't there, and Bruce done the same move below the sternum he would just drop onto the floor!

Even if you repeat this directly onto the sternum the person will fall backwards instead, not downwards into a crumpled mess, but there is a risk of breaking the sternum too. Not funny.
    Dude, he was "pushing", that is why the guy went "flying", it's a "trick" that I myself have done a few times, like the "unbendable" arm of Aikido.
    The principles are there of course, but it is done in a manner that is impractical and just for show.
    If the guy had been in a stance or if BL had done it lower rather then above his center of gravity, he would have moves as much if at all.

There is very little risk of breaking the sternum with an inch punch like that, it takes a considerable amount of force to break a sternum, the sternum is designed to distribute force not take it "head on".
    Could BL have done it for real?
    Of course, I have and I have used a THICK yellow pages book and had the guy brace himself and even showed him how it was gonna be and he went DOWN ( not back) and while he was winded, he was "just fine".
    It just doesn't look as cool as when they go flying six feet, LOL !

Demille does not do wing chun.

Inch power is not a gimmick-it's an aim for several martial arts- and even sport and involves

coordinating the whole body at a delivery point.

joy chaudhuri

Dude, he was "pushing", that is why the guy went "flying", it's a "trick" that I myself have done a few times, like the "unbendable" arm of Aikido.
    Maybe we have different views on what a 'push' is! A push for me is something that has sustained contact to align your leverage before finally releasing your joint force (the time you contact to when they leave is looong)

Bruce 'hits' the guy. The sound tells the truth.

Of course, I have and I have used a THICK yellow pages book and had the guy brace himself and even showed him how it was gonna be and he went DOWN ( not back) and while he was winded, he was "just fine".
    It just doesn't look as cool as when they go flying six feet, LOL !
    Yes, I too have experience of this. Receiving and giving. But I find that winding comes from you hitting below the sternum (solar plexus) and upwards, but if you 'hit' just above the heart and send your intent (Man! Hendrik would love this!) 'beyond' or through the spine parallel to the floor they will fly backwards!

THAT my friend is the trick. Some sort of force vector thingy that I played with many many moons ago! Mind you, all this chat makes me wanna go retrain this stuff again!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    Any chance of going into detail on the paper striking?

Sounds to me like some thing worth trying.... is it ?

Cheers
    Okay.

Hang paper with a piece of string (making sure that its secured so it don't just rip off the string!)

Put the paper 1 inch from the wall.

Hit paper with a punch, from whatever distance you want, without hitting the wall!

Try to train that infamous 'flick' of the wrist and tense/contract the muscles for only an instant at the end of the extension. If you need to gain confidence hang the paper further from the wall. Build up speed until you can 'pop' a hole in the paper!

Man, I wrote a little booklet on this when I was about 17 and wish I had it now. Gave it to an old friend as he was meeting Demile!!

FWIW James Demile is more of a Wing Chun student than any of Bruce Lees other students by far! (except maybe Jesse) He still teaches SLT... just saying Joy.
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 02-08-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Maybe we have different views on what a 'push' is! A push for me is something that has sustained contact to align your leverage before finally releasing your joint force (the time you contact to when they leave is looong)

Bruce 'hits' the guy. The sound tells the truth.
    You need to get "pushed" around more

Yes, I too have experience of this. Receiving and giving. But I find that winding comes from you hitting below the sternum (solar plexus) and upwards, but if you 'hit' just above the heart and send your intent (Man! Hendrik would love this!) 'beyond' or through the spine parallel to the floor they will fly backwards!
    Well, I don't do it that way ( below and up) so...

THAT my friend is the trick. Some sort of force vector thingy that I played with many many moons ago! Mind you, all this chat makes me wanna go retrain this stuff again!!
    How dare you say "force vector" !!
    You bring up six directional force and ninjas shall replace all your toilet paper with rough grit sanding paper.

You need to get "pushed" around more
    I think I get ya. Short, sharp, inyerface pushing is 'like' what Bruce done!

How dare you say "force vector" !!
    You bring up six directional force and ninjas shall replace all your toilet paper with rough grit sanding paper.
    I did wonder what would happen! Ninjas bl00dy everywhere here
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術