Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This nasty winter

This nasty winter

Man it's ugly. Record snowfall in the Northeast, football games getting cancelled, millions of people losing electricity, hundreds of flights grounded, work and school cancellings all over, and on and on. It may snow here in Austin tomorrow and Friday night, and tonight we will likely set a 51-year record low temp.

Thank God for global warming! Imagine how bad it would be without jerks like me driving around in gas guzzlers with no catalytic converters.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    Man it's ugly. Record snowfall in the Northeast, football games getting cancelled, millions of people losing electricity, hundreds of flights grounded, work and school cancellings all over, and on and on. It may snow here in Austin tomorrow and Friday night, and tonight we will likely set a 51-year record low temp.

Thank God for global warming! Imagine how bad it would be without jerks like me driving around in gas guzzlers with no catalytic converters.

You're welcome.
    Even parts of tropical South America have been having lower than average temperatures. So, thanks to the recent cold temperatures, con-men such as Al Gore, including his controllers are being even further exposed as to what they really are, which is, crooks and criminals, who are trying to steal even more tax dollars from the already suffering world population, as well as of course, not to mention, attempting more controls on our daily lifes!

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post

You're welcome.
    Global warming is in fact occurring. It's normal though.

Climate change is also a problem and yes, we and our activities contribute to it.
    However, I elievve our biggest issue is that we need to stem pollution, quickly and drastically.

a plastic garbage patch the size of texas in the pacific is unacceptable.

Here's a pic that shows the result and there are literally hundreds of thousands of examples of this...

We must change our behaviours.
    I bought a small fuel efficient car despitet he fact I can afford a larger more luxurious vehicle with relative ease.

I recycle and reuse more and I eat less processed food and make less non essential consumer purchases.

We only have to do the work of ourselves. It would be nice if everyone would do same, but there will always be "me" people around. Hopefully a smaller number of them and less products they can consume that are harmful.

More electric cars, more efficient use of oil, less production of non-biodegradable substances and myyriad other steps towards solution.

You have made a school boy error of confusing AGW with Climate change though. They aren't one in the same, but one comes rolling off the other.

The only ones who want to keep the stupid argument going are oil companies who stand to lose should we all, or most of us, make the paradigm shift and real effort towards conservatism in ecological resources.

The propaganda against agw and climate change is coming from lobbyists and oil companies as well as factory farmers and so on who want to maintain status quo for their wealth growth, not yours or mine and they don't care about the detrimental effects of the way they do business it would appear.

Greed is not good, Boesky was horribly wrong and correction is needed and will come. by our own effort or by our decimation. Taxation for the sake of making the change and carbon credits is not a viable solution either. Legislation is required.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 02-02-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Im in Portland, OR. its sunny right now, and dry. A bit chilly but thats just cuz of no cloud cover. I feel bad for the rest of the country. We have such mild winters here...we had maybe 2 evenings with light snow sprinkles but nothing stuck this year. I even see some flowers blooming right now out the window.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    a plastic garbage patch the size of texas in the pacific is unacceptable.
    There is no garbage patch the size of Texas in the Pacific. That's yet another fraud you've fallen for.

"Claims that the "Great Garbage Patch" between California and Japan is twice the size of Texas is "grossly exaggerated" said the research which reckons it is more like one per cent the size.

Further reports that the oceans are filled with more plastic than plankton, and that the patch has been growing tenfold each decade since the 1950s are equally misleading, the new research claimed.

In reality it often cannot even be seen from the deck of a passing boat, said the latest analysts from the Oregon State University professor of oceanography Angelicque White.

But genuine scientific concerns are undermined by scare tactics from those proclaiming the trash patch is so big that there is more plastic than plankton in the Pacific.

Prof White said: "There is no doubt that the amount of plastic in the world's oceans is troubling, but this kind of exaggeration undermines the credibility of scientists.

"We have data that allow us to make reasonable estimates. We don't need the hyperbole.

"Given the observed concentration of plastic in the North Pacific, it is simply inaccurate to state that plastic outweighs plankton, or that we have observed an exponential increase in plastic."

One popular claim is that the size of the patch is twice that of the state of Texas – half a million square miles or the equivalent of 20 times the size of England.

But while the plastic stretches across the surface, its mass compared to the amount of water means it only takes up a tiny fraction of its proclaimed area, said Prof White.

"The amount of plastic out there isn't trivial," she said.

"But the patch ... is a small fraction of the state of Texas, not twice the size.""

Source: (And again you have produced no sources, just more allegations)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...cientists.html

I bought a small fuel efficient car despitet he fact I can afford a larger more luxurious vehicle with relative ease.

I recycle and reuse more and I eat less processed food and make less non essential consumer purchases.
    Good for you. You go ahead and drive a go-cart and bring your recycled grocery bags to the store while China and India spew more and more gases daily.

You know, if the Chicken Littles like Al Gore are right, we will know in 10 years. With all the pollution China and India are dumping into the environment unregulated, we will see if it has a drastic effect or if people like me, Rush, Palin, etc are right. Of course you guys will just change the wording again to find a way to blame 'big business' when the sky doesn't fall.

More electric cars, more efficient use of oil, less production of non-biodegradable substances and myyriad other steps towards solution.
    Don't forget more laws and less freedoms too.

The only ones who want to keep the stupid argument going are oil companies who stand to lose should we all, or most of us, make the paradigm shift and real effort towards conservatism in ecological resources.
    Al Gore and those raking in millions of dollars on the scam also want to keep the argument going. I love how you liberals always ***** and moan about all the money 'big business' and CEOs make, but never seem to care about the billions of dollars the Global Warming scam brings in or the millions and millions people like Al Gore take in for themselves.

The only difference between Bernie Madoff and Al Gore is that Madoff wasn't taking away people's freedoms in the name of his scam.
    Last edited by BJJ-Blue; 02-02-2011 at 11:46 AM.

The reciprocal action of Global Warming is Global Dimming

It's actually just Global weather change. The warming is more of a threat so the media has locked onto the term warming.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

1bad and his propensity for willful ignorance.

anything that interferes with you shoving something in your mouth or up your ass will get you into hackles.

For your iformation mr. wrong: Research sponsored by the National Science Foundation suggests the affected area may be just twice the size of Texas.

That's YOUR American National Science Foundation.

So, yeah, I was wrong, it's TWICE the size of texas.

Anyway, you think waste and consumerism is good?

Kung Fu is good for you.

So post the source and link. I posted mine.

Also, you can shut me up on Global Warming quite easily. Simply post THREE or more scientists who subscribe to Global Warming saying 10 years ago or further back that we would see increased snowfall, falling temperatures, record cold, etc as part of the Global Warming's effects on the planet. I'll bet you can't find one.

Or you can just call me more names and make even more assertions you can't back up.

1bad and his propensity for willful ignorance.
    You could also post a 'Google Earth' image showing this supposed Texas-sized garbage patch. Then we can all judge how big it really is.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

nobody knows for sure what is causing this climate shift... some say its warming some say its actually cooling... some say its a natural phenomenon some say its man made and others say its some combination or another of both... we really dont know forsure... but i think in the interest of being responsible and looking out for our planet LONG TERM, we need to take measures to be less wasteful... theres more than enough evidence to suggest garbage is a major problem for all of us... and theres more than enough evidence that shows that we live far far beyond our basic needs, and quite frankly in the west we live beyond our means aswell... but thats another topic...

cant we all agree that waste is getting to be a rediculous issue and we need to put our resources into more neutral technologies??? no???

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    not to be a d1ck, but if they found so much garbage why do they only show a pic of a small cluster... i heard years ago that there where plastic islands out there... clusters of plastic that kills fish coz they think its plankton blah blah blah... i dont know if its true or not... it just seems to me that they would show some inpressive pics if they saw garbage twice the size of texas... or is it lil clusters like this spread our randomly throughout an area twice the size of texas? and if thats the case then everything ive heard has been rediculously exaggerated... honestly, im not willing to take a position on this one way or the other...

either way, we need to stop using plastic like this... its complete bullsh!t... its so easilly preventable... we're such retards that way... sheep baaaaah....
    Last edited by Syn7; 02-02-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    not to be a d1ck, but if they found so much garbage why do they only show a pic of a small cluster... i heard years ago that there where plastic islands out there... clusters of plastic that kills fish coz they think its plankton blah blah blah... i dont know if its true or not... it just seems to me that they would show some inpressive pics if they saw garbage twice the size of texas... or is it lil clusters like this spread our randomly throughout an area twice the size of texas? and if thats the case then everything ive heard has been rediculously exaggerated... honestly, im not willing to take a position on this one way or the other...

either way, we need to stop using plastic like this... its complete bullsh!t... its so easilly preventable... we're such retards that way... sheep baaaaah....
    The plastic patch is mostly microscopic-sized particles. You can't even see most of it with your naked eye.

The patch extends over an indeterminate area, with estimates ranging very widely depending on the degree of plastic concentration used to define the affected area. Although many media and advocacy reports have suggested the patch extends over an area larger than the continental U.S, recent research sponsored by the National Science Foundation suggests the affected area may be just twice the size of Texas.[2] [3] This can be attributed to the fact that there is no specific standard for determining the boundary between the “normal” and “elevated” levels of pollutants and what constitutes being part of the patch. The size is determined by a higher-than normal degree of concentration of pelagic debris in the water. Recent data collected from Pacific albatross populations suggest there may be two distinct zones of concentrated debris in the Pacific.[4]

The Patch is characterized by exceptionally high concentrations of pelagic plastics, chemical sludge, and other debris that have been trapped by the currents of the North Pacific Gyre.[5] Despite its size and density, the patch is not visible from satellite photography since it primarily consists of suspended particulates in the upper water column. Since plastics break down to ever smaller polymers, concentrations of submerged particles are not visible from space, nor do they appear as a continuous debris field. Instead, the patch is defined as an area in which the mass of plastic debris in the upper water column is significantly higher than average.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    not to be a d1ck, but if they found so much garbage why do they only show a pic of a small cluster... i heard years ago that there where plastic islands out there... clusters of plastic that kills fish coz they think its plankton blah blah blah... i dont know if its true or not... it just seems to me that they would show some inpressive pics if they saw garbage twice the size of texas...
    I see others are figuring it out too. It's just another scam whose main purpose is to hurt American business and take away rights of Americans as well.

Look, I have to breathe the same air you guys do. So I do give a darn. But if you guys want to drive golf carts around town and recycle shopping bags, cans, and eat organic, etc, more power to you. Just don't go passing laws that force me to do the same. If it weren't for our freedoms being on the line, I wouldn't give a care how much lying, manipulating data, changing the goalposts, etc these con men did. But when it affects mine (and everyone else's) freedoms, I'll stand up and expose it for the fraud it is.

Again, show me THREE or more scientists saying 10 years (or longer) ago that as part of Global Warming we could expect harsher winters, record snowfalls, record low temps, etc before the warming and I'll start to take these people seriously.

To me it just defies logic to say, 'The massive cooling proves there is warming'.
    Last edited by BJJ-Blue; 02-02-2011 at 02:43 PM.