Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 基本功/Ji Ben Gong

基本功/Ji Ben Gong

新年好!

Recently I have been prescribed certain single movement practices/ji ben gong by my shifu with the admonition that real gong fu is not obtained through taolu practice but ji ben gong.

I don't necessarily mean the basics like li he tui or ma bu dan bian, not to say that those are not excellent exercises that require occasional maintenance. Rather, repetitive practice of certain movements found within some taolu.

For instance I was prescribed the movement 卧枕 wo zhen, found in Pao quan and a few others I think. I practice this alternating both sides for predetermined intervals.

I also practice gong bu tui zhang and pu bu qie zhang in this fashion. In the case of gong bu tui zhang I find this deceptively simple pattern to contain inexhaustible subtleties. Pu bu qie zhang only because I feel I am somewhat lacking in this movement; I have a tendency to hunch over to reach my lead foot rather than keeping the spine erect and balancing over the lead leg.

This is not to say I no longer practice taolu. In fact this method has only served to enhance my forms. In some ways the above described method can be even more exhausting than taolu practice as in taolu one is given opportunities to catch one's breath in certain resting poses or dramatic pauses. There are no such opportunities when practicing ji ben gong.

Anyone have any particular ji ben gong that they focus on?
    Last edited by wenshu; 02-04-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

doing postures isnt jibengong. that should be part of your warmup not ur main training.
    my form training in morning takes less than 5 minutes.

ur jibengong obviously should be qigong , iron fist, iron head, iron body.

some good jibengong excercises are 二郎担山 (barbell squat) ,霸王举鼎 (military press).
    Last edited by bawang; 02-04-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Perhaps I was unclear. I wasn't talking about static postures. Ji ben gong is most likely a misnomer on my part as well. However that is how these movements were introduced to me.

Iron head? I would much rather slip and counter thank you very much. But that probably belongs on another forum.

Blog Entries
    People may have different definition of Gong. To me Gong is the "ability" to make certain technique work. For example, the knock down power is Gong, and how to throw a punch is technique. By using this definition, Gong is not basic (Ji Ben) but advance.

Here is an example that I'll consider as Gong training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUzE5MQhdcc
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-04-2011 at 07:06 PM.

what exactly are you asking?
    Last edited by bawang; 02-04-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Thats a good example. ma bu dan bian, gong bu xiu xing, pu bu qie zhang, xu bu liang zhang, xie bu chang quan. Those are a little too basic.

I like wo zhen because it is significantly more taxing and is very good for improving zhuan yao and eye movement.

You answered my question, you like squats and presses.

I consider strength training separately, but thats because I cross train.

Hey Wenshu

Good question.

Shaolin's Core of technique is from Hong Quan and contains about 50 major techniques and many minor.

Wo Zhen is an excellent excercise that encompasses a myriad of techniques from all sides of the stance.

Some of shaolins and indeed all northern wushus essential techniques are;

Dan Bian, Xie Xing, Qi Xing, Shu Shen, Kua Hu, Hou zi Kan Yue Liang, QIng Long ti tou, Pu du jin, Pu bu qie zhang, Ban SHou, Tui zhang, Hei Hu TOu XIn, Wo Zhen, gou quan, Hai DI Pao, Wo di pao, guo bian pao, Zhi Pao, Hu bao tou, Mao xi lian, Huan Ying Suo hou, Yun shou, Xuan feng shou, Chong tian pao, Liao tui, Wai Bai, Li He, Gai quan, Zuo shan, Wu hua, Bai he, san za chui, lian huan zhou, Pan Zhou, shuang qiang shou, Ta ba, Hu pu ba, Yao Shan ba, xu bu shi zi shou ......off the top of my head, there are many others. (the major warmup kicks should be in there as each represents a full sweep movement using the hands as well).

All can be pracitced as 'Ba' individual drills. They can also all be practiced in compliant drills against an opponant and can be sparred with.

Of these Shu Shen, Dan Bian, Xie XIng, Qi xing and ban shou form the major part of shaolin Hong Quans strategy. And pu di jin becasue I like it. These are the ones I focus on relentlessly.

THey are not just individual postures each technique represents a concept and a structure and a method of using power. Some techniques can be done in many stances, others are more particular. Qi xing for example is an entire style unto itself (and NO i dont mean qixing quan, thats totally different, i mean the technique and hand position 'seven stars').

if u mean basic techniques rendahai is 100% correct follow his advice. qixing and danbian are mother fists of northern kung fu. they have so many concepts not just movements
    Last edited by bawang; 02-04-2011 at 08:40 PM.

In my school ji ben gong means 'line exercises,' basic drills we do in a line down the room...I don't know for sure, but I think that in the modern wushu context this is what ji ben gong refers to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    In my school ji ben gong means 'line exercises,' basic drills we do in a line down the room...I don't know for sure, but I think that in the modern wushu context this is what ji ben gong refers to.
    Will you call this Ji Ben Gong training by your definition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hI6OJpVzi8
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-04-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Hey Wenshu

Good question.

Shaolin's Core of technique is from Hong Quan and contains about 50 major techniques and many minor.

Wo Zhen is an excellent excercise that encompasses a myriad of techniques from all sides of the stance.

Some of shaolins and indeed all northern wushus essential techniques are;

Dan Bian, Xie Xing, Qi Xing, Shu Shen, Kua Hu, Hou zi Kan Yue Liang, QIng Long ti tou, Pu du jin, Pu bu qie zhang, Ban SHou, Tui zhang, Hei Hu TOu XIn, Wo Zhen, gou quan, Hai DI Pao, Wo di pao, guo bian pao, Zhi Pao, Hu bao tou, Mao xi lian, Huan Ying Suo hou, Yun shou, Xuan feng shou, Chong tian pao, Liao tui, Wai Bai, Li He, Gai quan, Zuo shan, Wu hua, Bai he, san za chui, lian huan zhou, Pan Zhou, shuang qiang shou, Ta ba, Hu pu ba, Yao Shan ba, xu bu shi zi shou ......off the top of my head, there are many others. (the major warmup kicks should be in there as each represents a full sweep movement using the hands as well).

All can be pracitced as 'Ba' individual drills. They can also all be practiced in compliant drills against an opponant and can be sparred with.

Of these Shu Shen, Dan Bian, Xie XIng, Qi xing and ban shou form the major part of shaolin Hong Quans strategy. And pu di jin becasue I like it. These are the ones I focus on relentlessly.

THey are not just individual postures each technique represents a concept and a structure and a method of using power. Some techniques can be done in many stances, others are more particular. Qi xing for example is an entire style unto itself (and NO i dont mean qixing quan, thats totally different, i mean the technique and hand position 'seven stars').
    This is exactly what I was talking about.

I guess I should have stated my question more clearly. I already know what individual drills are. I was asking if anyone has any particular ones they like to focus on.

I resorted to calling it ji ben gong because they are practiced in a similar fashion. But many of them are not really basic.

RenDaHai, which move is pu di jin? Could you describe it? I am probably familiar with it, I just don't know the name.

The qi xing hand position has always been one of my favorite, have not tried drilling it individually though.

Shuang yunding and pan shou are two others I really like.

The eponymous postures themselves are not that important. How you get there contains the techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Will you call this Ji Ben Gong training by your definition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hI6OJpVzi8
    It's not my definition, it's just my impression, but yeah, in the context of my school (which is admittedly not very concerned with knowing the proper Chinese) that would be ji ben gong.

Just to clarify, we're not a modern wushu school, we just borrow a lot of their training methods.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    It's not my definition, it's just my impression, but yeah, in the context of my school (which is admittedly not very concerned with knowing the proper Chinese) that would be ji ben gong.
    The reason I asked because those are usually considered as "solo drills". It's 2 men drills without partner. It should be considered as "technique" training and not "Gong" training IMO.

When you line up your students and ask them to do cross punch, side kick, elbow strike, hip throw, ... Those are combat technique training and have nothing to do with Gong training. The Gong training should be something that can enhance your technique training and not the technique training itself. For example, what training than can help you to make your side kick to be more powerful? That special training is "Gong" training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-05-2011 at 03:42 PM.

That makes sense to me, YKW.

I think in my school the term comes from my teacher's experience with modern wushu teachers...they probably don't train the other gongs, so it might make more sense for them.

We do plenty of what you call gong training, but we don't call it ji ben gong, we just call it training.