Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 基本功/Ji Ben Gong

here, i did a quick search, this video and the following sections are like what we do in my school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vIww...eature=related

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    here, i did a quick search, this video and the following sections are like what we do in my school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vIww...eature=related
    Most of the Wushu Ji Ben Gong are training for "flexibility" only. The "flexibility" is important for performance. The TCMA Gong training is for combat ability.

The following Qong traing can "enhance" your foot sweep "technique".

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/889...eheadsweep.jpg

Yeah, see, in my school we have a whole array of exercises just for strengthening the eagle claw, but we don't call it Ying jow pai gong (or whatever would be correct), we call it eagle claw or grip or hand strength training.

Well as long as I'm writing all this, I'll try to answer Wenshu's question.

If you mean 'ji ben gong' in the context I originally thought then I don't have any particular one's I like especially, the one's I practice on my own are sections from whatever form I'm learning at the time.

In the more traditional(?) interpretation, I focus in particular on my eagle claw and on shin conditioning(eagle claw because I want to, shins because I need to).

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    This is exactly what I was talking about.

I guess I should have stated my question more clearly. I already know what individual drills are. I was asking if anyone has any particular ones they like to focus on.

I resorted to calling it ji ben gong because they are practiced in a similar fashion. But many of them are not really basic.

RenDaHai, which move is pu di jin? Could you describe it? I am probably familiar with it, I just don't know the name.

The qi xing hand position has always been one of my favorite, have not tried drilling it individually though.

Shuang yunding and pan shou are two others I really like.

The eponymous postures themselves are not that important. How you get there contains the techniques.
    I like to focus on Shu shen, Dan Bian, Xie Xing and Qixing.

Pu di jin is a move that has vanished from shaolin in all but name. Amongst the older teachers (70s and above) there is not just one stance called Pu bu but a whole range. Pu di jin is a particular type of pubu. It is one use to get closer to your opponant in a fast dash, but in such a way that you don't see coming. It is done in half splits on the floor with the toes back. In reality the move is not so low and involves pulling the toes back on the front foot and using ti to take a large sliding step into your oppnant. The toes need to be back to facilitate the slide, it can't be done like pu bu. This is also ideal because as soon as it meets resistance like the opponants foot it clamps down on top of it... and for many other reasons.

There is a video of DaHong quan I'm sure you have seen. Its an old video and the guy does a really low pu bu with his toes pulled back. This is the technique I'm talking about. Although it looks like pu bu the mechanics of the applicaion are very different. In form it is typical to drop into one sided splits for training purposes. Amazingly this is very common in the older less corrupted village styles around shaolin and is NOT an affect of modern wushu. THis is pu di jin. If you do it in realistic proportions its a really good step as from your opponants perspective it looks like you are getting further away but actually you are getting closer (you'll have to practice it to see). You don't need to go very low at tall, about half a pu bu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbZsgJ-pb4 DaHOngQUan with PuDiJin

YOu are right in saying that the transition is important, however many of the postures form important bone structures, knowing how this structure is supported correctly will magnify the power of technique more than the hands. Qi xing for example is the concept that one hand supports the other. It is first praciced by actually holding the wrist of the striking hand. This structure is so strong even a small light movement is very powerful. As with all techniques it has its place. Although please bear in mind qixing is not just the striking posture we use, but many guarding postures where one heand supports or protects or hides behind the other.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 02-06-2011 at 05:07 AM.

As a matter of fact, with the exception of the pu di jin, that is the exact version of Da Hong Quan we practice.

Pardon my tendency towards hyperbole when making certain observations; the importance of the postures is, of course, not to be overlooked.

It has always appeared to me that the "transition" into qixing: the right fist placed palm up on the inside of the left elbow then "turned insideout" (for want of a better term) while turning the waist, contains devestating chin na. I have therefore always focused more so on the grappling implications than the more evident striking.

Do you consider the hand positon with the blade of the right palm placed on wrist behind the left palm under your stated definition of qixing. I will post a picture later, but I'm sure you probably know what I am talking about. It is quite common in Hong Quan and Chang Hu Xin Yi Men. From this position there are numerous chin na techniques as well as striking implications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

A keen observation Wenshu!

The technique you refer to is called 'Shi Zi SHou' or 'Hands shaped like the character ten' or crossed palms. However YES! it is indeed Qixing. THe hand moves anywhere from the elbow to the wrist it is Qixing. THe point is it is supporting the other hand. It can do so by adding structure to a strike or block, or being there to take over in case the ohter hand is parryed, grabbed etc. If I push your hand down for example, my strength and control is literally doubled by using the other hand to assist one of my joints.

So yes, the Shizishou in Changhuxinyimen is indeed an extension of the principle qixing. When the hands link together they form a structure of 7 joints working in harmony (the 7th joint is the spinal vertibrae about which the shoulder blades open and close). from above the structure resembles the big dipper (if you support at the elbow).

The Qinna applications are many. But a lot of people focus on them too much. Because they are hard and seldom used in reality, where as a strike is often used. We have an old saying that 'a strike is worth a hundred grabs'. So i tend to focus on its striking and guarding nature.

Interestingly there are many transitions into Qixing depending which Menpai you follow. None is really more correct than another. As long as you understand the principle you can mix it up and use whichever specific transition you fancy. Turning 'inside out' as you say is the more common as it often strikes upwards as opposed to straight out.

On DaHongQuan, Yes that is a really good version. Mine is largely identical and contains the same pu di jin and raising hand afterwards. A few stances vary, but only in terms of larger frame or smaller frame.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 02-06-2011 at 01:37 PM.

The best way to think about it is wielding a two handed sword, where one of your arms is the sword. Often the sword is wielded with one hand, two are only used to add strength when necessary. So the hands can work together as one super strong arm. This method as opposed to using two swords, keeping the hands always doing different things and not supporting one another.

Thanks, I'm glad you posted all that about pu di jin, RenDaHai. I have always loved that movement in that video (found it within months of when I started training), but never knew anything about it except what I could see.

十字手 it is. I don't spend much time learning the names or concepts behind the postures, fascinating though they may be. The limited amount of time I have to dedicate to 练功 is predominated with practice not talking. Probably why my spoken Chinese is stuck on a rudimentary plateau.

The grappling implications in a lot of Hong Quan etc are, outside of a compliant partner situation, quite impossible to pull off for a hobbyist such as myself. They are bad ass in theory.

I remember when I first started learning 长护心意门 and my shifu pointed out the nodes of the 七星:

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Interestingly there are many transitions into Qixing depending which Menpai you follow. None is really more correct than another. As long as you understand the principle you can mix it up and use whichever specific transition you fancy. Turning 'inside out' as you say is the more common as it often strikes upwards as opposed to straight out.
    I'm not sure I adequately explained the movement I was trying to describe; similar position to the 十字手 then internally rotating each arm so the hands cross underneath...? Doesn't really strike upwards.

The best way to think about it is wielding a two handed sword, where one of your arms is the sword. Often the sword is wielded with one hand, two are only used to add strength when necessary. So the hands can work together as one super strong arm. This method as opposed to using two swords, keeping the hands always doing different things and not supporting one another.
    In this case, it is sufficiently self evident through persistent practice as to not require any explication.

I remember when I first started learning 长护心意门 and my shifu pointed out the nodes of the 七星:
    You might like this; I was privaliged to learn Mogou Pai Xiaohong Quan, This is the ancient (500 Yrs earlier) version of Changhuxinyimen. It contains many more Qixing stances. I was also able to see many of the variations of Changhu around Dengfeng. ANyway you know the repeated section in Changhuxinyimen? The bit we do 3 times? Well from the Kua Hu (protect the hips, riding the tiger double meaning) you turn back into xiexing, Afterwards you rotate the arms and turn into Ma Bu with a low strike? you know, in the old versions this low strike is done as Qixing in Dingbu. All 3 times. very nice.

The symmetry in these forms is poetic in nature and points to the strategy of the style. The individual moves are the moves, the sequence are combinations and the symmetry is the strategy.

I'm not sure I adequately explained the movement I was trying to describe; similar position to the 十字手 then internally rotating each arm so the hands cross underneath...? Doesn't really strike upwards.
    Ok, I think I get you now. There are a lot of variations. The most common is done with the arm lifting upwards into its position. Just like in the technique explained above before you turn into ma bu, the hands do upwards rotating circles. But there is no standard, no best version.

You might like this; I was privaliged to learn Mogou Pai Xiaohong Quan, This is the ancient (500 Yrs earlier) version of Changhuxinyimen. It contains many more Qixing stances. I was also able to see many of the variations of Changhu around Dengfeng. ANyway you know the repeated section in Changhuxinyimen? The bit we do 3 times? Well from the Kua Hu (protect the hips, riding the tiger double meaning) you turn back into xiexing, Afterwards you rotate the arms and turn into Ma Bu with a low strike? you know, in the old versions this low strike is done as Qixing in Dingbu. All 3 times. very nice.
    Very cool. In the older versions is it da qixing like in Hong Quan without the qixing bu?

I think know the section you mean, but we only do it once. After the three blocks you strike in da qixing instead of ma bu chang quan? Interesting. That section is a good one to drill as well. Very practical and relatively easy to do with a partner of any skill level.

Very cool. In the older versions is it da qixing like in Hong Quan without the qixing bu?

I think know the section you mean, but we only do it once. After the three blocks you strike in da qixing instead of ma bu chang quan? Interesting. That section is a good one to drill as well. Very practical and relatively easy to do with a partner of any skill level.
    Yes. Changhuxinyimen is a 96 move form, you guys may just use the 1st of 3 sections. ITs part of Mogou HOng Quan, as is Qixing quan and guandong quan and Yunyang quan. Interestingly in the older versions the 'Qixing bu' doesn't feature. We just use Xu bu or Ding Bu or a variation in between. For some reason when these forms were 'Shaolinised' they added some basics from XinYi liuhe quan (hence the xinyimen in changhuxinyimen). I still don't know why the 'qixing bu' exists in shaolin, it only features in those systems with Mogou lineage yet doesn't feature in the mogou forms themselves. Very wierd.

But yes you got the location right, it is Qixing hands in Dingbu (Nail stance, tiptoe stance). YOu then fall back to shu shen (shrink body) as opposed to the qixing bu stance.

Yes. Changhuxinyimen is a 96 move form, you guys may just use the 1st of 3 sections. ITs part of Mogou HOng Quan, as is Qixing quan and guandong quan and Yunyang quan. Interestingly in the older versions the 'Qixing bu' doesn't feature. We just use Xu bu or Ding Bu or a variation in between. For some reason when these forms were 'Shaolinised' they added some basics from XinYi liuhe quan (hence the xinyimen in changhuxinyimen). I still don't know why the 'qixing bu' exists in shaolin, it only features in those systems with Mogou lineage yet doesn't feature in the mogou forms themselves. Very wierd.

But yes you got the location right, it is Qixing hands in Dingbu (Nail stance, tiptoe stance). YOu then fall back to shu shen (shrink body) as opposed to the qixing bu stance.
    Actually I learned er lu about two years ago. Unfortunately I never practiced it and have forgotten most. Some shuai applications executed from xu bu stand out in my memory for some reason. Also the kick sequence at the beginning. We also use the palm strikes from the ending of san lu instead of the whole retreat sequence. (I think the move is named after a chapter from the art of war. . .?)

I can't speak to the history but I really like the qixing bu. Its a good close quarters 'ankle pick'.

jibengong is bandied about as a basic line drill regimen at Shaolin

It's all about the jibengong. My Shaolin master Shi Decheng placed a lot of emphasis upon line drill jibengong. It's pretty common vernacular to refer to Shaolin basic line drills as jibengong at Shaolin. It's similar to the modern wushu point of view, although I don't know which usage has precedence. Decheng had 18 lines, which was really a symbolic number as he also had variations and extra lines. All the wuseng that I have trained under do some jibengong series. There's a lot of variations.

Currently, under Yan Fei at O-Mei, we do basic kicks and stances for warm up drills, and then do sequence extractions from our forms, dahong, xiaohong, qixing, etc.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart