Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite WC techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    No uppercuts were thrown from the outside.. Proper hooks are tight and also not thrown from the outside..

Curvy long round shots are not hooks in my book and most boxers will set up hooks and uppercuts and they will normally come from the inside..

While some boxers might use footwork to get inside to throw a lead hook (Tyson) it will not happen from outside..nor will an uppercut..

The point is that these tools are mainly inside tools and blocking them is very low %, reaching for them will leave you open..
    No, you are just plain wrong and wont even acknowledge the video.

You said Lead, which in boxing means initial strike. How many times did Frazier have to do that in that video to show you that??

And "your book" has got nothing to do with actual boxing technique. Left lead hook is a fundamental technique which can be done at close to long range.
    I suggest you google "left lead hook" and see for yourself.

Uppercuts are rarer and harder to use as a lead but can be effective against a shorter opponent that bobs & weaves.

Id suggest you re-examine your knowledge of boxing

No uppercuts were thrown from the outside.. Proper hooks are tight and also not thrown from the outside..

Curvy long round shots are not proper hooks in my book and most boxers will set up hooks and uppercuts and they will normally come from the inside..

While some boxers might use footwork to get inside to throw a lead hook (Tyson) it will not happen from outside..nor will an uppercut..

The point is that these tools are mainly inside tools and blocking them is very low %, reaching for any punch will leave you open..
    First of all to say never isn't a good thing unless you've been in the fighting game personally and have seen all fighters. Also what we were doing was isolation drills starting from different points in time. We may start from a takedown even though takedowns are usually done after setups. Like I said before. Our guys do fight and are willing to test our skills against others especially in the NY area.
    But, since you say that no uppercuts were thrown in that clip. Look at Ali around 2:44. Frazier did one around 2:50
    What part of there was a PRO boxer in the background coaching did you not understand? We will be having another full contact event real soon. Your students are welcome to participate. It'd be good for all of us to see what works and what doesn't under pressure. It's amazing that people will say something never happens when I've seen it happen.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 02-13-2011 at 12:48 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    No, you are just plain wrong and wont even acknowledge the video.

You said Lead, which in boxing means initial strike. How many times did Frazier have to do that in that video to show you that??

And "your book" has got nothing to do with actual boxing technique. Left lead hook is a fundamental technique which can be done at close to long range.
    I suggest you google "left lead hook" and see for yourself.

Uppercuts are rarer and harder to use as a lead but can be effective against a shorter opponent that bobs & weaves.

Id suggest you re-examine your knowledge of boxing
    We were discussing hooks and uppercuts...

Hooks..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp4J45kF-mI

Are not normally used as a lead...

They are not really an outside entry tool and therefore not normally a lead. I don't care who does what. I never said no one ever did it or that scrubs don't do it or that so and so couldn't make it work, it can't happen, no, I didn't mean to make it black and white or say it never could happen..

The uppercut is certainly not a lead or outside tool as I said, again I don't care who does what. I never said it was never done but in general boxers don't do it, why because it's an inside tool.

However this is about blocking them and blocking them is low % especially inside where you can't see them.
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-13-2011 at 12:53 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Hmmm . . Lead hand uppercut
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsKpxtOyyNA
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 02-13-2011 at 12:58 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Hmmm . . Lead hand uppercut
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsKpxtOyyNA
    Like I said Phil I am not saying it can't, never was done, etc.. (if that was an UC) Is the exception the rule now?

You won't find many boxing coaches that would say an uppercut is an outside tool or lead...especially as classically taught...

Jab/Cross and variations are long tools, hooks middle range and upper cuts and shovel hooks are closer range.. The closer range tools are going to be seen less as leads..pretty simple.

And of course this has nothing to do with VT blocking them.

Yes you got me I shouldn't have said "never"... Never should apply to training passive VT blocking and hand chasing...
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-13-2011 at 01:10 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

We were discussing hooks and uppercuts...

Hooks..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp4J45kF-mI

Are not normally used as a lead...

They are not really an outside entry tool and therefore not normally a lead. I don't care who does what. I never said no one ever did it or that scrubs don't do it or that so and so couldn't make it work, it can't happen, no, I didn't mean to make it black and white or say it never could happen..

The uppercut is certainly not a lead or outside tool as I said, again I don't care who does what. I never said it was never done but in general boxers don't do it, why because it's an inside tool.

However this is about blocking them and blocking them is low % especially inside where you can't see them.
    You said.......

You realize that no boxer leads with a "round punch" or uppercut right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgMVOTZ2bpk

Hooks and esp uppercuts are inside tools.

See the bit "no boxer leads"?

And as for your above nonsense

PLENTY of boxes lead with hooks and uppercuts. Do most of them? No.... but plenty do........ Plenty means lots, numerous etc

Not as many but still quite a few will happily lead with uppercuts as well

You dont make sense. You say "i dont care who does what", thats ridicolous.
    Especially when you get put on your arse by a lead hook.

And then you say they are hard to stop on the inside?
    Well maybe if you dont know what you are doing. Shall i post a 12 round fight thats been an "inside war" where theres a thousand blocks on the inside

So i assume that at your School you dont train against inside lead hooks?

You said.......

You realize that no boxer leads with a "round punch" or uppercut right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgMVOTZ2bpk

Hooks and esp uppercuts are inside tools.

See the bit "no boxer leads"?

And as for your above nonsense

PLENTY of boxes lead with hooks and uppercuts. Do most of them? No.... but plenty do........ Plenty means lots, numerous etc

Not as many but still quite a few will happily lead with uppercuts as well

You dont make sense. You say "i dont care who does what", thats ridicolous.
    Especially when you get put on your arse by a lead hook.

And then you say they are hard to stop on the inside?
    Well maybe if you dont know what you are doing. Shall i post a 12 round fight thats been an "inside war" where theres a thousand blocks on the inside

Sorry.... lead left hooks

Very good Glenn you got me..

I shouldn't have implied that no one ever did it...

That was not the point...

This was:
    Do most of them? No.... but plenty do........ Plenty means lots, numerous etc

Not as many but still quite a few will happily lead with uppercuts..l
    So to recap.. MOST DON'T....

Nothing like dragging out and hanging onto minutia that skirts the issue..

Oh, ahem, the issue was where are we seeing people blocking these things in actual fights?

If you mean unrealistic drills that train blocks that never actually happen in real fighting then no...
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-13-2011 at 01:21 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Very good Glenn you got me..

I shouldn't have implied that no one ever did it...

That was not the point...

This was:

So to recap.. MOST DON'T....

Nothing like dragging out and hanging onto minutia that skirts the issue..

Oh, ahem, the issue was where are we seeing people blocking these things in actual fights?
    All cool Jim.... im just in an argumentative mood

But ill bring up one point (from an old time Chunner who mainly boxes/mt's now)
    I constantly score with a left lead hook against WCers, regardless of lineage.

Id say its almost the best boxing shot against a WC guy

So i think Phils clip has merit as most WC folks really struggle against round punches.... particularly at range as its outside their effective defensive and atttacking techniques (tan, fook, WC punch etc)

Whats your take on it if you dont like Phils? (no, im not being a stirrer anymore :0 0

So i think Phils clip has merit as most WC folks really struggle against round punches.... particularly at range as its outside their effective defensive and atttacking techniques (tan, fook, WC punch etc)

Whats your take on it if you dont like Phils? (no, im not being a stirrer anymore :0 0
    The reason what you describe may well be effective is because too many VT people train this kind of stuff to defend against X where X is whatever attack.. They train to block X and not only does it not work most of the time but you'd be hard pressed to find any example anywhere of it working in a live exchange...

VT's method is to break them down....to attack their structure with yours in order to prevent the opponent from being in a position to get off these attacks... There are different ways to do that but drilling tan/da (or whatever) from the outside over and over has shown to yield the kind of results you report--poor ones.
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-13-2011 at 01:38 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

The reason what you describe may well be effective is because too many VT people train this kind of stuff to defend against X where X is whatever attack.. They train to block X and not only does it not work most of the time but you'd be hard pressed to find any example anywhere of it working in a live exchange...

VT's method is to break them down....to attack their structure with yours in order to prevent the opponent from being in a position to get off these attacks... There are different ways to do that but drilling tan/da from the outside over and over has shown to yield the kind of results you report--poor ones.
    Yes, i get all that Jim, but tell me how you are going to deal with the angles created by the round punches (with foot work) on your way in to break his structure?

Personally, i like Phils clip... it gives him cover and gets him in to WC range.
    Its drills like these that prepare you for the real thing

Yes, i get all that Jim, but tell me how you are going to deal with the angles created by the round punches (with foot work) on your way in to break his structure?

Personally, i like Phils clip... it gives him cover and gets him in to WC range.
    Its drills like these that prepare you for the real thing
    You want a fixed (do this) answer.. This is the problem.. It's a sign of the problem..

And you show it here.. You just said it's drills like these that prepare you for the real thing and yet I challenge you to find 1 (one) clip of anyone making this work in a real sparring/fighting situation. Can you?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

You want a fixed (do this) answer.. This is the problem.. It's a sign of the problem..

And you show it here.. You just said it's drills like these that prepare you for the real thing and yet I challenge you to find 1 (one) clip of anyone making this work in a real sparring/fighting situation. Can you?
    A sign of what problem?
    Reality?

Yes i do want an answer to the lead hook question?

And FWIW i do something fairly similar to Phils clip against a lead hook... tan da will get you killed a million times over.

Youve rubbished Phils clip so id like to know how you'd deal with a lead hook.
    If youre gonna bagf it..... have an otion of your own

Enlighten us

A sign of what problem?
    Reality?
    Apparently...

Since you completely side stepped my challenge to find a single example of what you term "preparation for the real thing" (when you happily did so to prove your boxing semantics) you have no interested in reality...

Yes i do want an answer to the lead hook question?
    Then learn the method and go spar and find out...

Asking for a if they do X we do Y answer only tells me you don't get it.

Go to a gym and ask what they do to "defend" against a hook.. Or how do you take someone down?

Do you think there is some special answer? The answer is: it depends...

The only constants in VT is the method, the tools and how you use them depends on the moment, the distance, the timing, the person, the skill of the people... I could tell you any number of things that could happen but you don't see the reality that there is no fixed answer to that kind of question beyond what our core tactics and tools offer and how we learn to apply them in the moment...

IOW you won't know until it happens and that assumes you know the VT method..

And I am not "trashing" Phil I am simply saying that I don't agree with training blocking which has not shown itself to be useful.
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-13-2011 at 02:45 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Apparently...

Since you completely side stepped my challenge to find a single example of what you term "preparation for the real thing" (when you happily did so to prove your boxing semantics) you have no interested in reality...

Then learn the method and go spar and find out...

Asking for a if they do X we do Y answer only tells me you don't get it.

Go to a gym and ask what they do to "defend" against a hook.. Or how do you take someone down?

Do you think there is some special answer? The answer is: it depends...

The only constants in VT is the method, the tools and how you use them depends on the moment, the distance, the timing, the person, the skill of the people... I could tell you any number of things that could happen but you don't see the reality that there is no fixed answer to that kind of question beyond what our core tactics and tools offer and how we learn to apply them in the moment...

IOW you won't know until it happens and that assumes you know the VT method..

And I am not "trashing" Phil I am simply saying that I don't agree with training blocking which has not shown itself to be useful.
    Oh please..... you showed poor knowledge of some fundamental boxing, i called you on it and you (sort of) acknowledged it.

Now when i stick up for Phils clip, you want to "VT method" me to death....
    Do you really think i was looking for a special technique??
    No i asked you as an adult, and someone who has had experience in this, what your take on it is and you come back with "go to a gym'

Id suggest i "go to a gym" 3-4 times a week and come from a level of experience in using WC against boxers that youd dream about

Next time i want a simple answer to a simple question ill ask someone else