Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 255

Thread: Yip Man in Fatsan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Posts
    7,716

    Yip Man in Fatsan

    anyone have a list of his students he taught in Fatsan?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

    "I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

    ....step.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Newcastle upon tyne, UK
    Posts
    422

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Newcastle australia
    Posts
    576
    Gwok Fu is the senior, then lun gai. Both really nice guys.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,655
    I read there was only 8 so Paul's link is it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North London, England
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I read there was only 8 so Paul's link is it.
    True I think.

    Mind you, Derek isn't the only Brit to learn from Lun Gai as he has also taught Mark Hobbs.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,655
    Yes that's right. But we're just talking about the 1st gen. of Fatshan students.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Posts
    7,716
    Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Yes that's right. But we're just talking about the 1st gen. of Fatshan students.
    what about other generations, other students. Are those in that list listed because they were recognized teachers, or just students?
    What time fram did Yip Man teach in Fatsan?
    Last edited by TenTigers; 02-07-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

    "I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

    ....step.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    193
    I believe he started in 1943, and finished roughly some time before he left for Hong Kong.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Newcastle upon tyne, UK
    Posts
    422
    Thanks CFT for keeping the thread on track. Yes other people have studied with Lun Gai including Mark Hobbs. All I can say is that Derek has been there about twice a year since the early to to mid 90s and when I first trained in Lun Gai's school back in 98 not many pictures hung in the school of students and not many chinese students trained either. I think Lun Gai only got more students after the first Wing Chun conference and the foshan chi sau comps and demos.

    This is just my opinion and as always what counts as what a person makes of the wing chun they have not who the teacher or grandteacher was.

    The list on Sifu Frearson's site is probably what he was told by Lun Gai/Kwok Fu. Yip Man only taught a handful of students for abotu 4-5 years I think.

    Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Newcastle australia
    Posts
    576
    Gwok fu said he taught him somethings went away and then showed him the changes leung bik had showed him. He explains some of the differences and stuff it was interesting. The first person that could show some proof (as there is none) that leung bik even existed. He later went back their later in his life when he was teaching in HK. Once when the association had a bit of a fall out and he split with them. So he also went through yip's later stuff. Gwok Fu was supposed to be his fighter before he went to HK and he was a target for the japanesse when they took over.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    Gwok fu said he taught him somethings went away and then showed him the changes leung bik had showed him. He explains some of the differences and stuff it was interesting. The first person that could show some proof (as there is none) that leung bik even existed. He later went back their later in his life when he was teaching in HK. Once when the association had a bit of a fall out and he split with them. So he also went through yip's later stuff. Gwok Fu was supposed to be his fighter before he went to HK and he was a target for the japanesse when they took over.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Many thanks for sharing that report on Gwok fu's comments.
    Ip Man kept lots of knowledge close to his chest. Most old time top flight
    kung fu masters did also. You got information by working for it and also paying for it
    monetarily or in kind.

    joy chaudhuri
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 02-08-2011 at 05:45 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Newcastle upon tyne, UK
    Posts
    422

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North London, England
    Posts
    3,003
    I think it should also be noted that Derek is a well known Sifu of a few other styels too, and founder of Wushu Direct (Kung Fu Supply). I've had the pleasure of meeting him on many occassions at BCCMA events and the Senishow and he seems to be a humble gent.

    http://www.itswa.co.uk/chief.htm
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Posts
    7,716
    no, actually this is keeping it on track;
    what about other generations. The thread is about Yip Man's students from Fatsan. Please don't derail it to speak about present day teachers. Open another thread.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

    "I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

    ....step.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    no, actually this is keeping it on track;
    what about other generations. The thread is about Yip Man's students from Fatsan. Please don't derail it to speak about present day teachers. Open another thread.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    I believe Lun Gai worked for the Ip Family at one time. Ip man kept his timing sharp by working
    out with some people apparently. They were not all disciples. He also trained some people for self defense during the Japanese occupation- agin not full fledged disciples.
    The 1950 to 1962 HK period was his best in depth teaching period- he slowed down in his teaching gradually in the next decade.

    joy chaudhuri

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •