Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Yip Man in Fatsan

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Yes, it was Fung Wah that Hunt1 referred to here.
    Thank you for the clarification.

Can I just ask two questions and make an observation

Why can’t anyone actually post clips of the knifes in action that people agree is good? I mean if people feel this strongly about it (17 pages good god) surely they can actually put a clip up or find one from somewhere………….
    Secondly why on earth are people keeping the knifes a secret, it’s the 21st century for gods sake its not like it’s a matter of life and death anymore its just larping really (not picking on wing chun here but nearly all weaponry work is larping unless you are actually carrying around swords, spears tiger forks, 7ft poles and actually fighting with them)

Oh and finally 17 pages mostly about flipping or not flipping with lots of big talk but no actual clips from anyone involved showing why they do things the way they do…….and people wonder why wing chun is seen the way it is by outsiders

I'll show mine if you show me yours How ridiculous does that sound?

If you have the footage and are proud of what you do then post it already.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I'll show mine if you show me yours How ridiculous does that sound?

If you have the footage and are proud of what you do then post it already.
    i was speaking as an outsider, so dont have any clips of the knifes because i dont do wing chun these days, but if you want to argue about grappling and sports stuff i could probably put a clip up to support my view (one with me in it even lol)

but you are right if people are so proud of how they do the set why not show it, so many people are arguing yet no one wants to step up

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Robert, you and Spencer should just agree to disagree and move on.
    I hear you Dave, and believe me I try not to retaliate to the (what seems like)constant attack on my Sigungs name and his students, but I'm only human!

It used to get like this with T and Hendrik and I always tried my best to be non-offensive but that too will not last forever
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Oh and finally 17 pages mostly about flipping or not flipping with lots of big talk but no actual clips from anyone involved showing why they do things the way they do…….and people wonder why wing chun is seen the way it is by outsiders
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    17 pages of flipping and non flipping was/is a bit much.

"People wonder...?""I suppose I am not one of those people.

joy chaudhuri

Share with us how you think LS has more in common with Futshan/Kulo than Yip Man's WCK? Did LS use the 3 forms, Yip Man Jong, 6.5 point pole and BJD? That's all Yip Man's. And besides your Dai Nim Tao set, what more of Ku Lo/Gu Lao do you have? I don't see it.
    If you really want to research Lee Shing more thoroughly you have been told by me before to just call/visit my Sifu as I'm sure he will chat with you. He follows this forum sometimes too. I had the same chat with Hendrik, who kept pushing me to put my Sigung in a little neat box so he could make sense of it all for himself! Believe me, I've been in the family for years now and I'm still piecing together things about my Sigung from 'hands-on' research and good old fashioned communication and exchange. You might want to try that yourself too, but I don't think you're really that interested. You just like to try to belittle me these days but I am getting used to it.

I said by looking at Goh, Cheng, and you, and then a few of my grandstudents that went to study with Alan, I base this judgment, so far. Of course, i admit i have not seen everything, but what i have, it is either Yip Man's Jong (of recent vintage), Yip Chun's knives, a weird version of 6.5 point pole, Hard Qi gong, throwing and breaking chopsticks, and flowery flag waving and hoops waving. I also saw the brief clip of LS doing Yip Man's sets. What else is there? You keep alluding to it, but we do not see it.
    What else are you looking for exactly? I'm not alluding to anything really am I? But this post from you is quite insulting to me, especially after all the dialogue we have had here. You just don't seem to get it do you? Lee Shings methods have little to do with curriculum or content, as you have explained he is very like a modern Ip Man style, it is about 'how he taught' my Sifu specifically and how he taught me. Line by line. Stage by Stage. That is something you just can't seem to grasp, and you never will until you actually train with me. And honestly, I can't see your ego taking that risk!

Are you suggesting Lee Shing taught Yip Man in Futshan, as Yuen Kay Shan did? Where is your evidence of that?
    Where is your evidence that YKS taught Ip Man or created Luksau??!!

At least in Yip Man system, you have links to what Yip Man learned from YKS - Luk Sao/Chi Sao, Chum Kiu choreography, 6.5 point pole set. These are all signatures bearing YKS' influence.
    Yes indeed. Another story perpetuated by yourself Robert. Others disagree, like me, but are you listening?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Sure- on training/working out...but beiing taught luk sao,the pole and the forms by YKS?..absent any hard evidence-doubtful.. A could a been would a been approach to history....

YKS's older brother who moved to Viet Nam- his wc is far different from IM.I have talked with someone who has done both kinds of wing chun.
    Rant over for me guys
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    17 pages of flipping and non flipping was/is a bit much.

"People wonder...?""I suppose I am not one of those people.

joy chaudhuri

So, you are saying you understand why people on the outside have a low opinion of VT, or is this just another of those deeper meaning statements?

Bring back T and Victor!!!!!

Free the Ving Tsun 2!!!!

Down with the oppressive VT Overlords of larping, harmony, niceness and hearty pats on the back for compliant drivel!
    Mike

I'd like to show my flippin' knives, if only: (1) I could find them, (2) I remember the form.

Since my old club was a convert to Lun Gai's system, I'm never sure how much practice was left over from the previous lineage.

I only learned 1 knife form, and there was flipping. It was pretty stupid IMO because there was only flipping (YJKYM, forearms parallel to floor) but no use of the knives held in reverse.

Stabbing actions in stationary YJKYM. Chop down actions in stationary YJKYM (which I thought were for developing wrist strength). Stabbing actions with advancing and retreating steps. There were circle steps (huen bo) forward and reverse. Kwan dao in forward and retreat (no gaps allowed between pommels). Upper tan/lower gan dao in forward and retreat. That's about all I can remember.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I'd like to show my flippin' knives, if only: (1) I could find them, (2) I remember the form.

Since my old club was a convert to Lun Gai's system, I'm never sure how much practice was left over from the previous lineage.

I only learned 1 knife form, and there was flipping. It was pretty stupid IMO because there was only flipping (YJKYM, forearms parallel to floor) but no use of the knives held in reverse.

Stabbing actions in stationary YJKYM. Chop down actions in stationary YJKYM (which I thought were for developing wrist strength). Stabbing actions with advancing and retreating steps. There were circle steps (huen bo) forward and reverse. Kwan dao in forward and retreat (no gaps allowed between pommels). Upper tan/lower gan dao in forward and retreat. That's about all I can remember.
    Hi, are you a student of sifu Roy's in Toronto?

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Hi, are you a student of sifu Roy's in Toronto?
    No. Derek Frearson's school in Leicester, UK.

In YKS lineages, it is often quoted that Yip Man had many "exchange sessions" with YKS. I'll let other YKS people fill in the details about what was "exchanged". Since I am of YKS lineage, too, I have heard these stories from China from my own Sifu, and other members of the YKS family. And many haven't seen the entire YKS curriculum, so it is hard for them to make the comparisons.

I will also say comparing Lee Shing's Chum Kiu opening to Lun Gai's, they are very similar, 3 downward facing Chuen Kiu, followed by one upward facing Chuen Kiu. I acknowledge Spencer is correct here about the similarity to Futshan Chum Kiu in this one instance, which Lee Shing's way and Lun Gai's way are unique in Yip Man's way - most either do one Chuen Sao with fingers facing up or down.

Let's stay on the subject.

Can I just ask two questions and make an observation
    Yes you can ask, but you'll likely be ignored....

Why can’t anyone actually post clips of the knives in action that people agree is good? I mean if people feel this strongly about it (17 pages good god) surely they can actually put a clip up or find one from somewhere… why on earth are people keeping the knifes a secret...
    The knives are kept aside almost as a symbol of "prestige" by many sifus. You learn all the other forms, chi-sau, finally the luk dim boon kwun.... then maybe you are allowed access to this ultimate secret. By this point you have invested so much in your training, that you've proven yourself loyal and, heaven forbid, if the knife set doesn't seem all that useful to you, who cares? There's almost nobody else around at that level to train them with anyway. And with so much secrecy, who can even judge the authenticity of any sifu's techniques? It's all untested hearsay. To flip or not to flip? Who can really say!

Truthfully, I feel the bart cham do set does contribute to the overall system, and not all sifus hold back the training for decades. I believe Joy's sifu, Augustine Fong is more open with them. Still, if you want to learn useful weaponry free of all this secretive nonsense, maybe you should try Eskrima. A lot of 'chunners have.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 03-01-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Two things;
    one- I agree that maintaining secrecy for an antiquated weapon is kinda silly...
    two-nobody is really concerned with what outsiders think.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

[QUOTE=m1k3;1080699]So, you are saying you understand why people on the outside have a low opinion of VT, or is this just another of those deeper meaning statements?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Problem reading? I will rephrase--I don't care what non wing chunners posting on this forum-think about wing chun.

joy chaudhuri