Thread: Acupuncture, bone setting and others

Acupuncture, bone setting and others

I was wondering how much acupuncture, bone setting and others are important in your learning curve while either practicing or teaching Chinese martial arts.
    I see many masters becoming bone setters but very few acupuncture. Any insights?

Thanks,

Mig

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    I was wondering how much acupuncture, bone setting and others are important in your learning curve while either practicing or teaching Chinese martial arts.
    I see many masters becoming bone setters but very few acupuncture. Any insights?

Thanks,

Mig
    my sense would be that while acupuncture and bone-setting (specifically joint mobilization / manipulation; fracture reduction) are both regulated procedures, it's a lot harder to practice acupuncture without a license and claim later on that you were doing something different, whereas if you are doing bone-setting (mobs / manips) you can call it "bodywork", and more easily get away with it; also, acupuncture requires a lot more formal schooling than bone-setting which has more of a "folk medicine" lean to it and can be taught in a basic format without a great deal of "book learning" (although, on professional level, it really does require a great deal of formal training to do at a high level of proficiency)

I have been working on my masters in Acupuncture and Herbal medicine for the last 3 years. I will be graduating in August.

It has been a hard journey, but one that I have come to find fits me better than others.

It is very formal training. I am attending classes and clinics at New England School of Acupuncture.

Bone setting as Chris explained was more a barefoot doctor skill than an acupuncturist or an herbalist.

It is much harder to do and the time and expense are great in this nation.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Is there an 'official' certification for bone setting?

Obviously there are certs for acupuncture, but I don't think bone setting is regulated by any government body. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yes, I think all temples and dojo's should have health sciences going and that everyone should be exposed to such learning all they can handle.

We don't have qualified acupuncture here or it would be a part of Kwan Yin's blessings. We have a strong biomed program though and apothecary. Basic skeletal alignment but not called or practiced as "chiropractic".

That was my example as Master Don taught healing to advanced students. Here there is so much of it to know, seed to bedside, that you are welcome to start on day 1...

The thing about TCMA and TCM is they do go hand in hand, but have the characteristics of the school and it's teachers, so there can be great variance in methods.

I myself would like to find the time for a acupuncture certificate.....someday....

(btw - I loved the barefoot doctor reference! Viva medis pedis vulgari!)
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu