Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Practical Combat: Sword

just look at the guys channel and see the titles of he rest of his flicks... i think he thinks its all really funny... he calls it martial arts comedy....

oh, the carnage...the carnage...

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    This ninja wannabe has a well deserved reputation for visciousness. So much so that most of the plastic bottled water products in his neighborhood are hiding in the local church.
    huddled together, afraid to make a krinkle, hoping to go unnoticed as he passes by...

Why do apparently grown up people post such videos on Youtube?
    true; OTOH, if he were dressed as, oh, I don't know, a Spartan...

That video showed a lot of innocent water being spilt......

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post

true; OTOH, if he were dressed as, oh, I don't know, a Spartan...
    The Spartans in question were involved in recreation of some aspects of history and even technique. They were also interviewed, and that was the video I recall.

But putting up video of oneself massacering plastic bottled water?

The Spartans in question were involved in recreation of some aspects of history and even technique. They were also interviewed, and that was the video I recall.
    well exactly - if he'd been dressed as a Spartan, it would have made the whole endeavor infinitely more respectable and social acceptable - instead of hiding behind a mask silently, he would have been able to give some historical background on the demolition of water-bearing receptacles in the ancient world!

But putting up video of oneself massacering plastic bottled water?
    he was probably victimized by a gang of evil seltzers as a child and vowed revenge...

Is it just me or does his technique look sloppier than the mess he's making?

well exactly - if he'd been dressed as a Spartan, it would have made the whole endeavor infinitely more respectable and social acceptable - instead of hiding behind a mask silently, he would have been able to give some historical background on the demolition of water-bearing receptacles in the ancient world!
    LOL, LOL!!

Apparently, in old Japan water-bearing receptacles were seen as public enemy number ones, even more so than the ninjas, themselves. It was not unknown for travellers and carriages to assaulted during their journeys, by heavily armed plastic water bottles.

he was probably victimized by a gang of evil seltzers as a child and vowed revenge...
    LOL!

That would explain the pure hate with which he mercilessly slashed those poor defenseless plastic bottles....LOL

What you say also may shine some light on his almost sadomasichitic black outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by crashhelmet View Post
    Is it just me or does his technique look sloppier than the mess he's making?
    I think it is all that suppressed rage exploding out. He actually needs to meditate more in order to forget his "inconvenient" past with the plastic water container community.

"Just when you thought the internet couldn't get any more awesome!...Ninja's working out the kinks!" This is indeed a great find.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Practical Southern Broadsword

I've been studding Kung Fu off and on for a couple of years (Souther Shaolin and now Taoul Moon) and the broad swoard I have always used has been quite light weight. Now I'm currently stationed in Okinawa and the only broadsword I have access too anywhere on the island is "combat steel" and crazy heavy. This is the first time I've seen this and I'm a little confused. With that being said can someone please tell me the diffrence between the norther and southern Chinese broadsword?

Broadsword..or rather "Big Knife" is same same in regards to Chinese martial arts.
    It generally denotes a single sided blade like a machete and the variations will come in blade shape, steel quality and weight.

A lighter sword of hardy steel is always better than a heavy one of poor quality and one that is too light, or made for performance wushu is just a prop really.

"combat" steel is a made up term it is not really meaningful.

Alloy 316 is a really high grade corrosion resistant stainless steel, Alloy 304 is almost as good, 440 Stainless is what Kitchen knives get made out of more often than not and then there are several grades beneath those.

carbon high grade steel is what you want and heavy is not that great in a single handed weapon.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 02-14-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So I guess my next question would be, any time I see the "flimisier" (sp?) sword that would be on the wushu end?

Quote Originally Posted by A BIONIC LEG View Post
    So I guess my next question would be, any time I see the "flimisier" (sp?) sword that would be on the wushu end?
    Very thing and very flexible usually denotes a performance wushu blade.

These are made thinner and lighter on purpose to facilitate the speed with which the performer can move.

Pretty much all weapons have been lightened and thinned down for performance wushu.

Having said that, I'm sure you're aware that swords and such are fairly antiquated as weapons go and that good swordmanship is something one keeps for posterity, the art itself or sport alone.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ok Im following now, thanks. I've really only been studding Kung Fu as a whole for about 2 years. I started with Shaolin Kung Fu under Master Jerry Cook and that was for about 6 months and currently studding Teoul Moon under GM Yim Hon Suk. I left Korea last September (Air Force) and now that I'm in Okinawa this is the first time that I've seen a heavier broadsword.

So I guess I'm really confused now because the way the two swords (northern /southern) were explained to me was one was solid with a hard angle at the tip and the other was flexible with a pointed tip. Can you shed any light on this?