Thread: Amount of So Fa Necessary in Mantis

Amount of So Fa Necessary in Mantis

I think a lot of good discussion has been explored about Northern Mantis in this forum.

I think focusing on less material is just practical. Many would argue that kung fu has many more facets than just self-defense and I agree.

One also has to consider however that Kung Fu is a martial art and that for it to be respected and continued it must provide excellent self defense in a reasonable amount of time. I think Kung Fu is something that is mastered over a lifetime but you should be very proficient with a lot of hard work in a reasonable amount of years. I would say about 3-5 years.

After 18 years of martial arts training and 12 years of Northern Mantis I practice 18 applications from my hand forms everyday.

I think that this is enough.

What does everyone else think?

We should also think of this principle as it applies to weapons training as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gunglihchuan View Post
    [...]

One also has to consider however that Kung Fu is a martial art and that for it to be respected and continued it must provide excellent self defense in a reasonable amount of time.

[...]

After 18 years of martial arts training and 12 years of Northern Mantis I practice 18 applications from my hand forms everyday.

I think that this is enough.

What does everyone else think?
    You don't even need 18 applications/techniques to have a usable set of tools.

shin kick
    sweep kick
    groin kick
    front kick
    roundhouse kick
    grapple punch
    hook punch
    horse punch

along with mobility are enough to get you by.

Even those are more than you need just to stay alive.

My crazy 7* theory...

I believe a person can, with diligent practice, nearly master the hand to hand portion of 7* by practicing LGY's Sub Sa Lo and it's applications, and by concentrating on mastering this short list of techniques:

(spelling badly in phonetic Cantonese - and I have problems sometimes with the tones... so)

Diu Sau, (hook)
    Ou Lou Choi, (hook, control, and punch motion)
    Tai Sa Na Ding (as a combo with the two techniques below - this is tai mountain crash)
    Ying Min Chit Don (punch straight to the face)
    Ha Fu Tau Som (and stealing the heart)
    Yu Jom (waist chopping)
    Tu Sau (intercepting hand used as a transition to set up traps and combinations)
    Foom Sau & Bung Choi & Foom Sau Tong Choi (actually both Foom Sau techs like the trap back fist and trap uppercut)
    Chon Toi (push kick)
    and shin stomp.

Gunglihchuan,

Excellent topic!

I believe that less is more when it comes to effective PM fighting. Plus, I guarantee my students that they can fight effectively within three to six months of training.

My favorite Mantis techniques and the amount of time I have trained them:

Yang Palm, Inner Hook, Yin Palm - 35 years
    Hook, Embrace, Pluck - 26 years
    Rolling Block, Colliding Claw - 26 years
    Hook hand, Gathering Punch, Uprooting Kick - 26 years
    Thousand Eye Mandarin Duck Kick - 35 years

I've done these techniques so long that they are as natural as breathing. And I've never found a fight that needed more than these five techniques.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 02-11-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Thank you Richard,

I have always believed that refining the essentials was what made any system great. I would like to see more schools adopt smaller curriculums and give their students the value for their hard work.

I applaud you for teaching your style in this manner!

Kung fu systems are rich and diverse but you want lay people to be astounded at their effectiveness and have these systems spread and be respected.

There were many people I studied with for over seven years that did not even expect that they could use their Kung Fu for self defense. That type of attitude will severely damage the reputation of any fighting system.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunglihchuan View Post
    There were many people I studied with for over seven years that did not even expect that they could use their Kung Fu for self defense. That type of attitude will severely damage the reputation of any fighting system.
    If people can just appreciate the fun part of sparring/wrestling, they will sparring/wrestling more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hv17oABxEU

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post

along with mobility are enough to get you by.
    so fot (hand work)
    bo fot (foot work)
    sun yin (body positioning)

all are important and without one, you don't have any -

The most difficult to master is the body positioning - and truly learn yao (soft - yielding). Especially in the hips.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    so fot (hand work)
    bo fot (foot work)
    sun yin (body positioning)

all are important and without one, you don't have any -

The most difficult to master is the body positioning - and truly learn yao (soft - yielding). Especially in the hips.
    +1

Yep.

I believe a person can, with diligent practice, nearly master the hand to hand portion of 7* by practicing LGY's Sub Sa Lo and it's applications, and by concentrating on mastering this short list of techniques:

(spelling badly in phonetic Cantonese - and I have problems sometimes with the tones... so)

Diu Sau, (hook)
    Ou Lou Choi, (hook, control, and punch motion)
    Tai Sa Na Ding (as a combo with the two techniques below - this is tai mountain crash)
    Ying Min Chit Don (punch straight to the face)
    Ha Fu Tau Som (and stealing the heart)
    Yu Jom (waist chopping)
    Tu Sau (intercepting hand used as a transition to set up traps and combinations)
    Foom Sau & Bung Choi & Foom Sau Tong Choi (actually both Foom Sau techs like the trap back fist and trap uppercut)
    Chon Toi (push kick)
    and shin stomp.
    I don't even bother with diu sau, ou lou choi, or yiu jom to get people up and running.

Those take more finesse that comes later.

I believe a person can, with diligent practice, nearly master the hand to hand portion of 7* by practicing LGY's Sub Sa Lo and it's applications...
    Mike Biggie was a stickler for 14 Roads. Up and down the floor, up and down the floor! Excellent techniques and a great way to build stamina.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

my shifu always said master 1 block, 1 punch, everything else is just for fun.

If you have a great parry and a lightning quick, sharp powerful counter fighting is but a split second. the rest of the stuff is for us to master oursevles..
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Personally I think Fa, So, La, Te, Mi, Rae, and Do are all you really need.

(I'm so sorry...I just couldn't help myself. )

I sure can tell the difference between classmates who take the hard qigong class (iron shirt training) and those who don't. Hands ,feet, legs are just heavier...and they take harder hits than anyone else.

With any class, some are better at reading intent, some have faster reaction time, some are more accurate in their strikes and techniques....all time and practice.

I like how many mantis techniques involve avoiding the hit while doing damage or incapacitating the weapon.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Smile

Well, as far as Sao Fa (Shou Fa) within the CCK TCPM system goes, GM Chiu officially taught a set of 64 not including the variations and counters. My mentor/teacher Galen Fok taught about 30 of them.

I generally teach the first section of 12, which I believe is more than enough for average students. Here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cyrano20.../1/rvyWRD17daA

enjoy.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum