Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Fees

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Test Fees

as long as I've been training, pretty much all my teachers who had public schools, have charged testing fees.
    In 1975, our TKD Black Belt fee was 500.00 (yikes!)
    I know that it does bring in extra income to the school.
    My question to the board is,
    Do you charge?
    How much do you charge?
    When people ask why the fee, what is your answer?

I recall when I was in Tang Soo Do as well as in TKD, they charged us a membership fee. So we are "registered in Korea."
    Great. So somewhere in Korea, in an old file cabinet, or a cardboard box, there is a piece of paper with my name on it.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

If you use that money to outfit someone with a new belt, uniform certificate, card and embed their name into the records of the system, then a nominal fee can be charged for providing those services.

the 500 bucks is a rip off clearly, but if you attach rewards and documentation, then that can be reasonably expected to cost something for someone to administer.

as well, your time in giving the tests.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i would be willing to pay the cost of the belt/sash/uniform and paperwork... but nothing more... i pay to learn and once ive learned who the fukc are you to charge me to have you aknowledge my hard work in learning what i already paid for... i hate for profit schools that do this... absolute bullsh1t cash grab... if you cant cut it as a teacher just on lesson fees then you either suck or you have a crap biz plan... either way, get a real job...

i went to a mcdojo that did that when i was lil... i wised up before i spent much tho... ever since ive had cheap great instruction thru good decent people who were more concerned with my progresss than their wallet... i only train under cats that respect me...

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    as long as I've been training, pretty much all my teachers who had public schools, have charged testing fees.
    I know that it does bring in extra income to the south korean government.
    fixed lolol

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

When I was a kid, testing fees for my TKD school were incredibly cheap. We were mostly charged a nominal fee for the next belt and feeding the testing board lunch.

The Aikido school in Japan where I trained charged a bit more. But at every test you were guaranteed expert advice from at least 3 different master level instructors. There was also a pool of black belts that acted as ukes and randori opponents. Thus, some of the fees went to travel expenses of the testing board and as payment to the ukes.

Testing in China, for foreigners....hahaha, forget that. The amount of money one has to pay, not just for testing, but to all the other louts who want a handout, is incredible. There are also no real standards by which foreigners are judged.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I know that it does bring in extra income to the school.
    My question to the board is,
    Do you charge?
    How much do you charge?
    When people ask why the fee, what is your answer?

I recall when I was in Tang Soo Do as well as in TKD, they charged us a membership fee. So we are "registered in Korea."
    Great. So somewhere in Korea, in an old file cabinet, or a cardboard box, there is a piece of paper with my name on it.
    You know, the traditional kung fu schools I ahve trained at have never had exams, let alone charge for them. You were kind of "promoted" when your skills improved and you absorbed certain bit of the art.

It is my understanding that this was part and parcel of traditional kung fu training.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    You know, the traditional kung fu schools I ahve trained at have never had exams, let alone charge for them. You were kind of "promoted" when your skills improved and you absorbed certain bit of the art.

It is my understanding that this was part and parcel of traditional kung fu training.
    yeah.... what he said....

Like I said-in the more public schools there are usually test fees. My teachers who teach me in the parks or in their homes don't charge a fee.
    What I am really interested in is hearing from school OWNERS. People who have real world knowledge of actually running a school.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

so are you looking for a reason to charge fees???

i know you said you want to ask teachers, but as a consumer i can tell you i wouldnt pay much if at all... ofcourse i'd be fully willing to pay for any materials involved, even at inflated "club" prices, just cause i'd want to help out... if i have the money i'll even donate, or pay for equipment for the kids and stuff... why not, if its somewhere u plan on sticking around, ya may as well help as much as you can... within reason ofcourse...

is anyone here actually well off from teaching??? or is it "comfortable"... i empathise because i know alot of schools dont last very long... i wish more people were interested... its tough for some people, so i can see why finding reasons to charge more money would be attractive... just be careful not to cross that line... nobody wants to be gouged...

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Testing in China, for foreigners....hahaha, forget that. The amount of money one has to pay, not just for testing, but to all the other louts who want a handout, is incredible. There are also no real standards by which foreigners are judged.
    Sucks balls...When I lived in Singapore, it took me over one year to be able to "hang out" with the Chin Woo crowd there who wanted $300 down payment for "consideration" of me as a foreigner, while locals paid literally $15 per YEAR...

Don't know about testing fees with CW - as I made some good friends & learned some good things eventually, but outside of the normal system.

I teach bsl in a group where there are other teachers teaching other styles. None of us charge anything for testing (I am the only one who tests anyway), but I have been toying with $ ideas for different things and changing things up (only for me) recently, so this topic is actually interesting for me.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

A lot of people like to look down at testing fees...But what about those traditional red envelopes? Abused in the same way testing fees are. Northwids example above is another good one--testing fees arent nearly highway robbery on the same level as that.

My students pay me for my time; nothing more and nothing less. I pay my teachers for their time; nothing more and nothing less. No tests, no testing fees, no red envelopes. And as a side topic to this, my teachers have probably bought me more lunches and nights out, etc than I have bought them.

I've always charged testing fees. It pays for the time and extra effort of running a test, sashes, certificates, boards (I've always loved board breaking ever since my days in TKD, it makes for an exciting test, and a great motivator) membership cards, etc.
    When I was in TKD, there was a sliding scale-yellow belt 40.00, green belt 45.00 etc, which I cannot agree to, so they are all the same fee.
    Some schools charge more up front and do not have belt fees. We charge less, and offer unlimited classes. So I guess it evens out.
    I was simply interested in how other schools do this.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

thers no testing in kung fu man we have no belts or grades

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    thers no testing in kung fu man we have no belts or grades
    Even china has a duan system, and you can bet there's money involved with that.

What about all the chores and dreary suck work you have to do for your si fu. that's the same thing really, it just isn't tarnslated to a dollar value until recently.

Anyway, I got nothing against it. GUys gotta keep the lights on, the water heated, the air conditioned, the rent paid the floor clean etc etc.

You want all that for nothing? I would submit that a relook is required if you think you deserve all that for nothing.

Part of it is your work and part of it is taking care of who gave you taht material to work with. In an organized and structured school institution, it makes sense to do this.

just sayin
    Kung Fu is good for you.

u can just train at someones hourse mang it cheep

the problem with teaching for money is there is only so much you can teach until u run out of material and student gets bored. because students are thinking theyre paying you x $ per form or something. im not gonna say impossible but its hard to instill the right mindset

so wot happens is u get over fancy teaching thats design on purpose to confuse students and make them take foreever to learn and progress.

or a lot of useless forms collected. good example is hong kong hung kuen collecting mantis and bak siu lum forms
    Last edited by bawang; 02-12-2011 at 09:01 AM.