Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Fees

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I recall when I was in Tang Soo Do as well as in TKD, they charged us a membership fee. So we are "registered in Korea."
    Great. So somewhere in Korea, in an old file cabinet, or a cardboard box, there is a piece of paper with my name on it.

Lol!!!

That's awesome.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

I agree with David on this one.

Young bucks today seem to want to get off cheap. Like the knowledge we received was so easy to get.

Some of us worked our asses off for decades to get the knowledge we now have. Back in the day you couldn't just look in the phone book and join the nearest kwoon. Often it was by invitation only. That was my experience.

Back then, everything was still treated like it was the holy grail. You had a pretty good idea that you were being shown crap until you had earned the right to learn anything worthwhile.

Every once in a while you would meet someone who was actually willing to show you the real deal without making you kiss their ass and jump through hoops for it. Though that was very rare.

Since my wife and I both have good secular jobs, money isn't a problem for us. And since I have no desire to teach just any clown who wants to sign up for classes, I can pick and choose who I want to teach.

Over the years I have used a number of pay scales for teaching. When I first started teaching (70s) I taught for free, but students were required to stay for a Bible study since I used teaching as a way to reaching out to inner-city kids.

Later I started charging a small fee for classes and ranks. Though at this time (80s), few schools had a structured rank system. I charged $25/month for classes and a test fee that covered the cost of the sash ($5-10).

In the 90s I decided to try something new, since I hate dealing with money. Students paid a one time fee of $250 to train with me. I didn't matter if they stayed six weeks or six years. I also charged a one time test fee ($100) at the end of their training if they desired to teach.

A few years ago I remodeled my two car garage into a very nice training hall. It has more than enough room to train, since I never take more than five students at a time. I no longer have any overhead, so I teach most for free and again only charge a testing fee that covers the cost of the sash (less than $10). The only students I charge now are other instructors who want to add what I teach to there curriculum. So, far I have trained eight other instructors of various arts.

My students who received permission to teach, handle finances however they like. One does it as a part of his church ministry and offers free lessons as a youth outreach. Another has a school of about 80-100 students and makes a nice living by teaching martial arts. Others have jobs that support their families, while charging enough for lessons to have nice modern training facilities. I say whatever floats your boat is fine.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Hi Rik,

These are the fees we charge for testing at NYHG. But we don't have to make a living off of it as you do. The fee includes the new sash and a certificate, and anyone testing has been told they are ready to go to the next rank (old school way), and that the testing is merely a formality (new school way). Everyone testing will pass unless for some reason they screw up royally.

We break the test up into 5 sections: Forms, Knowledge, self-defense, Sparring/ground fighting, and endurance.

I hope this helps.

Yui

NEW YORK HUNG GA PROMOTION TEST

Gung Ji/Fuk Fu - $35 5-Animal/Pole - $45
    Fu Hok/Darn Do - $40 Jo Gow - $50

TT;
    For public or commercial schools, test fees are not just about charging extra... Everything has a cost: Belts, Sashes, Certificates even the day itself has a cost because you could have been making other $ teaching regular classes.

People have a cost as well. When I register a student I have to use paper, computer, file cabinet etc etc which cost me money. When I send this students name to my teacher... he has costs and I also must give him a cut of the reg fee and when he sends this students info to Sigung Wing Lam... the same thing, he has costs and he wants his cut as well.

Everybody has costs involved in operating their school. I know some Karate teachers who pay the throwing dummies during Black Belt Exams. Testing fees, most commercial schools give a cut to the main GM. Everyone wants a piece of the pie so to speak.

I know there are some of you who think it's rip off but in reality... were getting paid for a service we provide.

Test Fee = $50 each is common

Black Sash = $350 - 500

ginosifu

testing fees

The kwoon I am associated with here in Louisiana, from the start, has had a sliding scale for it's testing fees, that I believe, is respectful of the students, covers the costs associated with testing, and shows gratitude to both Sifu, Si Gung, and system/style.
    White, Yellow, Gold, are $ 50.00
    Orange,Green are $40.00
    Purple,Maroon are $ 30.00
    Brown is $20.00
    Black Level one is $10.00
    All beyond this level are free.

some of my belt tests have lasted as long as five hours (and change)...To pay $30 for my shifu's time and a new sash seems cheap to me.
    Our testing fees go up as rank goes up (but I don't think they ever get past $50), the more material you're tested on, the more time it takes... makes sense to me.

Also, tests (at least in my school) are not just a check up on your material, they're a really long, really intense training session...why not pay for that?

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post
    A lot of people like to look down at testing fees...But what about those traditional red envelopes? Abused in the same way testing fees are. Northwids example above is another good one--testing fees arent nearly highway robbery on the same level as that.

My students pay me for my time; nothing more and nothing less. I pay my teachers for their time; nothing more and nothing less. No tests, no testing fees, no red envelopes. And as a side topic to this, my teachers have probably bought me more lunches and nights out, etc than I have bought them.
    my sifu gives me a red envelope with cash in it before every performance... then he buys us lunch after... we pay 60 a month no fees... and we get half of it back in envelopes and food... plus 3 days a week each for four hours or sometimes more depending on the mood.... so we get roughly 50 hours, red envelopes, food, use of gear and space for 60 bucks a month... we have shirts but no real uniforms and we never will... we only wear a sash for show and lion dance(coz u need it in lion dance)... there are no levels, just real skill levels and its obvious top everyone who is good at what.... we dont need recognition on paper... we are there to learn and grow, not to be recognized... if i wanted that i'd hit up a mc dojo... i dont need to be stroked, i got women for that...
    Last edited by Syn7; 02-12-2011 at 01:38 PM.

test fees

Sifu Perry told me early on, the reason he set the fees that way, was because the student had not only literally, but figuratively, paid his dues. And at the time of being informed of the upcoming test, knew, and had proven so, the material required. The test, however physical it would be, was, in effect, a formality. And, the student having had the fortitude and commitment to perservere through the demands of the training, was rewarded. And while Sifu Perry charges monthly dues, he enjoys nothing better than teaching a student who is interested and dedicated, as he is. I respect him so much for this.

can anyone tell me what is accomplished with testing??? like whats the point???

i understand richards point, if they want to teach they need some sort of credit.... fair enough... but why does a casual or even serious student need testing??? is recognition for hard work and obvious ability not enough???

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    To make sure they know the material. Sparring etc. does not do this. Let's say form X has 108 moves. Bob likes 5 of those moves and has practiced them a gazillion times in a gazillion different ways and tends to use about 3 of them consistently well while sparring. Bob shows the proper energy, focus, conditioning, etc. etc. and kicks butt on sparring nights. Does this show that Bob knows form X inside & out? No - so we test Bob and say show us form X...
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

test fees

I consider it an honor, when asked to perform or demonstrate my Kung Fu in the presence of Sifu Perry and my fellow students, and whatever guests may be in attendance. And, when testing, it is not unusual for there to be special guests, perhaps Sifu McDaniels from Marshall, Sifu Medley from Richardson,or perhaps, on very special occasions, SiGung Fogg. It is showing, publicly, I am proud of the treasure I've recieved, and am honored to present my Kung Fu in reverence to those who helped to propogate and maintain the style for the times. I value to knowledge trusted to me, and show such.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    TenTigers:

$25 per sash level up to Black. Included sash and my time for the test.

$100 at Black. Was planning to do $100 per degree level past that but tis moot now.

oh, and it was well known that 'Shifu' liked a certain Mexican restuarant and the margaritas therein... (not relavent for the kids tests, of course.)
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by sifudrew4870 View Post
    The kwoon I am associated with here in Louisiana, from the start, has had a sliding scale for it's testing fees, that I believe, is respectful of the students, covers the costs associated with testing, and shows gratitude to both Sifu, Si Gung, and system/style.
    White, Yellow, Gold, are $ 50.00
    Orange,Green are $40.00
    Purple,Maroon are $ 30.00
    Brown is $20.00
    Black Level one is $10.00
    All beyond this level are free.
    Interesting. I like it.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    can anyone tell me what is accomplished with testing??? like whats the point???

i understand richards point, if they want to teach they need some sort of credit.... fair enough... but why does a casual or even serious student need testing??? is recognition for hard work and obvious ability not enough???
    Well, for one thing, a lot of time it's the students who want to test (who want colored belts) more than the teachers. Teachers just adapt to what they want. I don't mind ranking, for me it's a good incentive to work on material I might otherwise let slide (as Northwind suggests).

As far as testing in my school...our tests are really a test. They are harder than any normal class. In order to perform well at the end of the test, it takes more than just knowing the material and working out in class, you really have to 'dig' for the 'chi' to make it.

That said, it is rare anyone who tests does not pass, but I have seen it happen a few times.

testing is a ritual, like a coming of age ceremony. It makes publicly visible what is happening anyway. For a community this is important, even if individuals can transcend it.

sounds like u guys cant let go of ur old karate days
    testing strokes ur ego and make u feel good. masterbating does that too. why dont u guys add masterbating as part of ur tests to make ur students feel extra good

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC