Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Fees

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    This is a good idea... I may try and put this into fruition. I have students that leave (for whatever reason), they come back years later and ask..."Is my rank still valid?" "Do I have to start over?" I want to tel them that the need to start over but I know they will never continue if they have start from the beginning. So I tell them their rank is valid, but they need to spend a certain amount of time revamping their old material. This way they are relearning their old material without me actually telling them they have to start over.

ginosifu

We've had people return after taking many years off, and they ususally have to spend some time in the intermediate class refreshing their material.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Traditional teaching

I just spent a year stationed at Osan AB in Korea and I was honored to study under GM Yim Hon Suk and I had to pay $150 a month to study under his direct tutleage, and thats not including registration fee and testing fee. Granted that is a quite a bit of money but I can understand paying that much to study under someone of his experience. With that being said I can also understand instructors not charging because of the "love of the art" verses the "business." When I first got into Kung Fu I studied under a friend in the states that only charged "what we could give" but when we tested we did have to pay a $50 testing fee and that went to the senior instructor. I've been on both ends of the spectrum and as much as it hurts my wallet I feel as though I can appreciate spending the money to be taught legitamate instruction. Please understand that I am not for any seccond nocking those that do not pay for instruction, but as previously stated in a quote "my gung fu is not your gung fu."

In my gym all testing is 15 dollars.

It pays for the sash and the certificate. This is from the first sash which is yellow all the way up to black. I do not teach for a living, so I can understand those who may charge a bit more for testing, but for those saying they are charging for the time it takes for the test, aren't your students paying monthly dues? Does that not cover that time as well?

Not trying to flame anyone, I really could careless. Just something to think about.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    In my gym all testing is 15 dollars.

It pays for the sash and the certificate. This is from the first sash which is yellow all the way up to black. I do not teach for a living, so I can understand those who may charge a bit more for testing, but for those saying they are charging for the time it takes for the test, aren't your students paying monthly dues? Does that not cover that time as well?

Not trying to flame anyone, I really could careless. Just something to think about.
    Look at it this way.... If I have to take a day off of work, where I could have been doing something else (not their class time), like private lessons or some other money making venture. I think they need to pay for the time I am losing. I do not give tests during class cause not everyone tests and it would interupt the class flow.

Their tuition only covers their class time... no other !

ginosifu

wtf, who complains about giving their sifu a few extra bucks then claims to be "traditional"?
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Look at it this way.... If I have to take a day off of work, where I could have been doing something else (not their class time), like private lessons or some other money making venture. I think they need to pay for the time I am losing. I do not give tests during class cause not everyone tests and it would interupt the class flow.

Their tuition only covers their class time... no other !

ginosifu
    I see what you mean, Gino. Like I said I'm not trying to stir the pot, just throwing in my two cents.

As for throwing bucks at your Sifu, sure, I guess that is fine, it's your money, do what you want with it. But I call BS when someone is charging 500 dollars for a testing fee, I don't care if it is for black belt.
    Last edited by Iron_Eagle_76; 02-14-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

the problem with fees is that they give a financial incentive to move a student along faster than they would had money not been involved...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    the problem with fees is that they give a financial incentive to move a student along faster than they would had money not been involved...
    The other problem is the amount of grading and testing that goes on. Do we really need 14 belts with 2 or three gradings per belt, and get charged for each one of these? Testing students every 2 months and charging some outrageous testing fee is where the term "McDojo" was coined from.

The other problem is the amount of grading and testing that goes on. Do we really need 14 belts with 2 or three gradings per belt, and get charged for each one of these? Testing students every 2 months and charging some outrageous testing fee is where the term "McDojo" was coined from.
    Yet, there are successful McDojos teaching crap and raking in the dough in every city. Why can't peeps who are teaching the real deal make a comfortable living? Whatever the market will bear is the hallmark of good business.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Yet, there are successful McDojos teaching crap and raking in the dough in every city. Why can't peeps who are teaching the real deal make a comfortable living? Whatever the market will bear is the hallmark of good business.
    Richard,

I think the main problem with this is people just don't look into things enough to realize what it is. To you and I it seems like common knowledge but to most martial arts is martial arts. I have talked to several people who studied at bad schools and they always tell me the same thing, that they thought it just didn't matter, martial arts is martial arts.

I agree that it is sad that those good instructors and legitimate schools struggle to make an honest living teaching while the McDojos rake in big bucks by duping the ignorant. The only thing we can really do is try and educate as many as we can as to what to look for in a school and instructor. As I said before, if an instructor is charging 200 dollars per test and testing students every month or two, someone is trying for early retirement!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Richard,

As I said before, if an instructor is charging 200 dollars per test and testing students every month or two, someone is trying for early retirement!
    I don't think anyone charges near that much for regular testing.
    The average is anywhere from 40.00 to 60.00.

"I agree that it is sad that those good instructors and legitimate schools struggle to make an honest living teaching while the McDojos rake in big bucks by duping the ignorant."

I do see your point, however, there is also nothing wrong with good instructors and legitimate schools getting well paid for their time and efforts.
    If you're struggling, it doesn't mean you are good or have more integrity.
    Although it may indicate you don't value yourself, or what you do, or have business knowledge.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

"I agree that it is sad that those good instructors and legitimate schools struggle to make an honest living teaching while the McDojos rake in big bucks by duping the ignorant."

I do see your point, however, there is also nothing wrong with good instructors and legitimate schools getting well paid for their time and efforts.
    If you're struggling, it doesn't mean you are good or have more integrity.
    Although it may indicate you don't value yourself, or what you do, or have business knowledge.
    If people are willing to pay for the services, than who is to say it is wrong. The point I was making is that in my experience, the schools who charge ridiculous fees including hefty testing prices are usually McDojos that teach complete crap. This is not always the case I know, and I don't mean to generalize, just what my experience is. If someone is teaching a good fighting art and charges high prices or whatever else who is to say that is wrong? They are not teaching crap and lying to people, so if people are willing to pay, good for them.

My rant was geared more towards the "McDojo" type that are about charging outrageous fees for crap training. As for the 500 dollar fee for a black belt test, sorry, I still say that is way too much. But that's my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Iron_Eagle_76; 02-14-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    and on average how often would a guy be tested if he practiced and worked an average amount of time....???

once a year? once a month? 5 times a year??? what???

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    and on average how often would a guy be tested if he practiced and worked an average amount of time....???

once a year? once a month? 5 times a year??? what???
    good question.
    Ok, according to "the industry leaders," (these are people who have large schools and multiple school operations-Steve LaVallee, Ernie Reyes, Tom Callas, Tat Wong, etc) your curriculum should be set up so that a student tests every three months. They found that when people go longer between tests, they lose momentum and motivation. They also figure that you should hold tests every month so that each month you are testing one third of your student body.
    The key to student retention are student service, a well thought out curriculum, periodic testing, and exciting, high energy classes.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

ok and what are your hourly rates for individual sessions??? and how long does your average test take??? and can you do more than one at a time??? can you do 2 or 3 at once??? more???