Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Workout Routine

My Workout Routine

This is my workout regiment and routine. Please feel free to post yours and how you feel it benefits you.

Strength Training: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    M-Back, Legs, & Abs
    W-Chest & Abs
    F-Bi, Tris, Abs
    Lifting takes about 1 hour and usually do a 2 mile jog on the tread mill afterwards.

Kung Fu: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
    I teach class and do basics, stance training, forms, and sparring with my students as much as I can when I am not teaching and correcting. Class is 6-8pm. My workout before that consists of this:

2-3 minute rounds on the double end ball
    3-3 minute rounds on the thai bag
    2-3 minute rounds boxing (all hands)
    1-3 minute round thai bag (kicks alone)
    1-3 minute round throwing dummy (shuai jiao throws, takedowns, ect.)

Also will get in some mitt work and Thai mitt work if I have someone to hold for me. Saturday is my open gym day at the school so I usually get a great workout in on that day.

Thanks. Any feedback is appreciated.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

hey man, can i ask why u only do legs one time a week, and why u do biceps and triceps? u have monster cardio btw
    Last edited by bawang; 02-16-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I always prefer whole body workouts, but that's just me.
    I would recommend only 30 seconds between rounds, if you are not already doing that and to include some stick work also.
    In regards to the ST, doing cardio AFTER a weight work can be detrimental to the gains ( strength and/or mass) that you could have gotten from it.
    I suggest running before the ST to get "warmed up" for it and static stretching after the ST.
    Abs are just another muscle by the way, no need to train them everyday.
    They get lots of indirect work with squats and DL and most of your MA bag work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Conditioning:
    Mon
    early am: 30m treadmill or elliptical (high incline, high resistance intervals)
    evening: Coach Sommer's GB WOD(movements scaled to current ability) +stance training (ma bu 3x2m), gong fu drills, followed by stretching.

Tue,
    GB WOD
    Floor L-sit 4x15s, stance training (ma bu 3x2m), gong fu drills followed by stretching.
    Gymnastics open gym (tumbling, break falls, rings, PB) 1&1/2 hours

Wed
    early am: 30m treadmill or elliptical (high incline, high resistance intervals)

Tr:
    GB WOD.

Fri:
    GB WOD
    Floor L-sit 4x15s, stance training (ma bu 3x2m), gong fu drills followed by stretching.

MA: Schedule varies

Muay Thai 2-3d/wk 2-3 hrs
    3-4 rds skipping rope no rest between rounds
    atleast 3 rds sparring, 3xheavy bag, 3xspeed bag, 3xdouble end. Maize bag and drills.

练功:1-2d/wk 1:30hr
    Mostly spear and guan dao. Some empty hand maintenance work. Have not been going last couple of weeks, too much New Year performance brouhaha around this time.

I also do a shoulder prehab routine atleast once a week.
    打坐 everyday at least 10 min, usually 20.
    Last edited by wenshu; 02-16-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    hey man, can i ask why u only do legs one time a week, and why u do biceps and triceps? u have monster cardio btw
    Strength training (lifting) once per week with legs I believe is all you need. Squats. leg presses, leg curls, ect. Also during Kung Fu I do all stance training and leg conditioning exercises for static and endurance purposes. Bi and Tris I do for two reasons, looks and arm strength, particulary in the clinch and grappling I personally see a huge benefit in that training.

As for my cardio, thanks, but can always improve.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I always prefer whole body workouts, but that's just me.
    I would recommend only 30 seconds between rounds, if you are not already doing that and to include some stick work also.
    In regards to the ST, doing cardio AFTER a weight work can be detrimental to the gains ( strength and/or mass) that you could have gotten from it.
    I suggest running before the ST to get "warmed up" for it and static stretching after the ST.
    Abs are just another muscle by the way, no need to train them everyday.
    They get lots of indirect work with squats and DL and most of your MA bag work.
    The run after ST is more out of habit than benefit, which I know is not what should be done. I used to do the run before ST as you suggested and may try this again to see if I get better results.

As for abs, it's just my pet peeve. After turning 34 last month, I still have this dream of having the six pack I had at 18. I know it takes much more than exercise to acheive this, things like proper diet, not drinking beer, being 18 again, oh well, torture for the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    The run after ST is more out of habit than benefit, which I know is not what should be done. I used to do the run before ST as you suggested and may try this again to see if I get better results.

As for abs, it's just my pet peeve. After turning 34 last month, I still have this dream of having the six pack I had at 18. I know it takes much more than exercise to acheive this, things like proper diet, not drinking beer, being 18 again, oh well, torture for the mind.
    Six packs are for kids, you are a MAN, take pride in having a KEG !!

I don't see any beer consumption time on these lists.

You guy's are faking these.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I don't see any beer consumption time on these lists.

You guy's are faking these.
    I accept the following:
    Sapporo as a warm-up
    Heineken after squats
    Bud light lime as a post recovery drink.

I accept the following:
    Sapporo as a warm-up
    Heineken after squats
    see people, this is an honest man!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Just cause you're drunk and indolent. . .

This is my workout regiment and routine. Please feel free to post yours and how you feel it benefits you.

M-Back, Legs, & Abs
    W-Chest & Abs
    F-Bi, Tris, Abs
    Lifting takes about 1 hour and usually do a 2 mile jog on the tread mill afterwards.

Kung Fu: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
    I teach class and do basics, stance training, forms, and sparring with my students as much as I can when I am not teaching and correcting. Class is 6-8pm. My workout before that consists of this:

2-3 minute rounds on the double end ball
    3-3 minute rounds on the thai bag
    2-3 minute rounds boxing (all hands)
    1-3 minute round thai bag (kicks alone)
    1-3 minute round throwing dummy (shuai jiao throws, takedowns, ect.)

Also will get in some mitt work and Thai mitt work if I have someone to hold for me. Saturday is my open gym day at the school so I usually get a great workout in on that day.

Thanks. Any feedback is appreciated.
    All of that and you still have girl arms? Just kidding...you sound like you're very active and should be in great shape. I work full time week nights + and am currently in school 3/4 time...so here's what I'm able to do.

I'm with Sanjuro on the weight training, I prefer all over routine but I generally do it 2x a week. Its about a 75min work out doing 3sets-15reps of about 24 diff exercises including ab work. I alternate sets with push pull exercises...tri/biceps...bench/back, leg extensions/curls etc. Tempo and keeping my heart rate up are important for the anaerobic conditioning. Usually I'll take an hour yoga class at the gym for my warm up/stretching prior to hitting the my circuit.

On non weight training days I'm getting out for a 5K run/walk 2x week depending on how my punishment my back can take.

Martially, I'm trying to make a comeback, due to my schedule I think I found a weekend's only BJJ class, for 2hrs on Sat/Sun and will be working some strikes on pads at a park with a TKD/Hapkido guy for about an hour.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I accept the following:
    Sapporo as a warm-up
    Heineken after squats
    We call beer a 'rookies' drink...I much prefer the good Captain (the Admiral to his friends) and shots of Tequila. That's just me, everyone has their own poison.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

M-Back, Legs, & Abs
    W-Chest & Abs
    F-Bi, Tris, Abs
    On Fridays instead of isolating biceps and triceps maybe sub in dips and pull ups/chins/rows.

Do you find teaching interferes with your programming?

I feel like teaching is a good way to get fat and de-conditioned.