Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qi Jiguang's chapter on boxing in English

in a global economic and internet era

multi lingual will be more and more common--

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Being cunning lingual will get you far....
    You mean being a cunning linguist ....

yep have to agree your translation is alot smoother and easier to read.

bawang u can make lots of monies, become a pro translator for martial arts documents bro. teach the masses
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Bawang is the new kfm trongslator.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    bawang u can make lots of monies, become a pro translator for martial arts documents bro. teach the masses
    noe man i am very elite with honor i refuse i must honor my sensei

*stares intensely and rubs testicles

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

give all the monies to your guru.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

maybe i will use the money for justice and one day found the wombat combat mystical arts foundation. it is my dream.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

if you do make sure you get a statue of your mom built for it

took me 10 min and my chinese education ended at grade 4. now read that guys translation again and compare. qijiguang's original text was written in everyday shandong hillbilly talk btw.

guys like this can get away with horrible work and academic incompetence because their field is so obscure. his translation is so corny i could hear charlie chan when i was reading it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, bawang, this is a wikileak, LOL bu I will concur about the translation and the academic production with the help of native informants. That's how many scholars from last century were able to have secure and well paid jobs.
    Now as far your Chinese education I doubted you learned wenyenwen or baihua wen at 4th grade unless your family was in the imperial post or army!!

at age of 4. I already was reciting 300 tang poems at will.

I read zhang hui novels from ming dynasty at age of 6

I read the journey to the west with wen yan wen with no periods or commas.

I read shui hu zhuang or legend of water margins with wen yan wen again no periods and no commas

--

no wonder, CMA stuck with me for the rest of my life.

my point is that depending on your upbringing

at grade 4, you may read a lot of chinese, if you are from an educated family.

--

poor or not

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    at age of 4. I already was reciting 300 tang poems at will.

I read zhang hui novels from ming dynasty at age of 6

I read the journey to the west with wen yan wen with no periods or commas.

I read shui hu zhuang or legend of water margins with wen yan wen again no periods and no commas

I thought those were the novel genre or xiaoshuo in baihuawen as opposed to the classical written style as xiaojing, lunyu, zhongyong, the other schools texts and all others from the elite keeping the masses ignorant if you didn't know that kind of script language. Don't know how many kungfu practitioners were scholars from the wenlinyuan or elite schools. Sorry to highjacked this thread.

Maybe the Wuxia novels are but the Tang poems are a *****. I still can't muddle through that muckimuck.

I'd agree that Qi Jiguang is hardly 4th grade reading level but then again...the stated goal of most high schools in America is to ensure that all graduating seniors have at least a 6th grade level reading ability.

So even if the text Bawang translated is at a level most kids might not have to learn until junior high, that doesn't mean that the 4th graders who actually liked to read would have a hard time with it. When I was in the 4th I was bored to tears by what was officially considered "4th grade level" material. If Chinese was my native tongue, I am sure Qi Jiguang would be pretty easy stuff for me. As it is, I still struggle with it too much to pick up the book and just read the whole thing.

No problem with Wuxia stuff though. "Heroes of the Marsh" is a blast too....for the first half anyways. It gets pretty bogged down with boring political stuff later on.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    *bink*

No problem with Wuxia stuff though. "Heroes of the Marsh" is a blast too....for the first half anyways. It gets pretty bogged down with boring political stuff later on.
    like star wars episode 2...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yes, the tales and MA of characters are most interesting

long spear of Lin chong

spade of lu zhi sheng

---

the later part is about the gang was at peace with the government and fought for the government or zhao an 招安

----

Last edited by SPJ; 02-19-2011 at 07:52 AM.