Thread: Bad day for a burglar

Bad day for a burglar

Woman nearly severs home intruder's hand with sword
    Suspect was intent on burglary, police say.
    By GARY BLACK
    Fairbanks Daily News-Miner via The Associated Press
    Published: February 15th, 2011 07:49 AM
    Last Modified: February 15th, 2011 07:50 AM
    FAIRBANKS -- A Fairbanks woman nearly severed a man's hand with a sword early Saturday morning as he was trying to break into her bedroom, according to Fairbanks police.

Police received a 911 call about 3:30 a.m. Saturday regarding a burglary in progress at a home in the Monroe Subdivison. When officers reached the home, they found a trail of blood leading through the house's kitchen and into its living room.

"We located a subject sitting on an exercise bike with his left hand barely hanging on and bleeding steadily from his injury," Police Sgt. Kurt Lockwood said.

The man, who appeared to be in shock, was put into restraints, and officers immediately called EMTs, he said.

The man was taken to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital for treatment. His condition and if his hand was reattached is unknown, Lockwood said.

The woman was in her bedroom when the man started trying to get through her locked bedroom door, Lockwood said. As he was trying to get into the bedroom, the woman called a roommate who was also in the house and told the roommate to call 911. Officers were on the scene within minutes, Lockwood said.

The man reportedly entered the home through the garage and a side door connecting the garage to the house. He then reportedly descended into the basement, where the woman's bedroom was. He was not invited nor let inside, Lockwood said.

The woman told officers she yelled several times for the man to get back and stop, but as he broke through her door, she swung the sword. Lockwood described the sword as about 2 feet long with a bamboo handle.

"As soon as she did that, he stopped trying to get in the door," Lockwood said.

The woman did not seem to be targeted, and the break-in appeared to be random, Lockwood said.

"We're possibly dealing with a suspect and injured person that might have limited mental capacity," he said. "It sounds like she was defending herself."

It is unknown if drugs or alcohol were involved, he said. The case is likely to go the district attorney's office because of the suspect's mental state, Lockwood said.

Fairbanks police Sgt. Robert Thompson said Monday that no one has been charged so far while the investigation continues.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/02/14/170252...#ixzz1E6AzR0mQ
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Because that is what swords are for....
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

This is why I don't mind keeping my handgun locked up and put away when it's not being used. Would-be robbers would have to worry about the other various weapons I have.

Oh.. and the comments are classic. They deserve a big hand for their creativity.