Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scientific Proof that ‘Our thoughts create our reality'

Scientific Proof that ‘Our thoughts create our reality'

Scientific Proof that ‘Our thoughts create our reality' - January 2, 2010

Thoughts lead to emotions or feelings that often manifest as physical symptoms and habitual behavior. People that work in the healing arts know this, but there exists scientific medical proof for this idea.

According to medical science (from the article "Neuropeptides: the molecules of emotions" by Dr Arien van der Merwe): "Peptides consist of strings of amino acids of varying lengths, joined together in a necklace by very strong bonds made of carbon and nitrogen. Between 10 and 100 amino acids that form a strong bond, are called peptides. Amino acids are the letters that when combined in certain sequences, form the words that are peptides, or the sentences that are polypeptides or proteins. These all make up a language that forms and directs the function of every single cell, organ and system inside the body, from the deepest vibrations of the DNA molecule inside the nucleus of every cell, to the macrocosmic systems function of the whole individual being. Common peptides include the endorphins (our own happy hormones), insulin (responsible for blood sugar control), vasopressin (responsible for blood pressure), sex hormone releasing hormones, serotonin (the feel-good neurotransmitter)."

Peptides are made not only in the body but in the brain as well, which makes neuropeptides. Well known groups of neuropeptides include the neurotransmitters that carry messages across synapses in the nervous system, growth factors, gut peptides, immune system modulators (e.g., growth inhibitors that tell cells when to stop growing). A better term for the peptides might be informational substances . They form a two-way network between the mind and body. Dr. Candace Pert is a neuroscientist who did a lot of research on the neuropeptides ( http://www.candacepert.com/ ). She was the first to call them the ‘molecules of emotions' in her books. More than 90 neuropeptides have been identified so far, associated with mood changes, nerve, hormone, and immune regulation. One of the revolutionary findings that Candace Pert discusses is that body chemicals form an information network that links the body and mind. According to Candace Pert's research: Depending on the thoughts and emotions, specific neuropeptides are made in the brain and nervous system, white blood cells, reproductive system, digestive system and heart, and more. All the neuropeptides have a similar molecular structure, with subtle differences in the tertiary structure, meaning that only the frequency and amplitude at which each molecule oscillates (wavelike vibrations of electrons in each molecule), differ. Neuropeptides change configuration (like a chameleon) due to emotional influence, according to specific thoughts and emotions. Dr. Pert has explained in popular lectures throughout the world how emotions exist both as energy and matter, in the vibrating receptors on every cell in the body. She describes the mysterious energy connecting body to mind & emotions as the free flow of information carried by the biochemical of emotion: neuropeptides and their receptors.

Says Dr. Pert, "The fact that the word “trauma” has been used to describe both physical and mental damage has been a key part of my theory of how the molecules of emotion integrate what we feel at every level of what I've called our bodymind. As a practical manner, people have a hard time discriminating between physical and mental pain. So often we are “stuck” in an unpleasant emotional event – a trauma – from the past that is stored at every level of our nervous system and even on the cellular level – i.e., cells that are constantly becoming and renewing the nervous system. My laboratory research has suggested that all of the senses, sight, sound, smell, taste and touch are filtered, and memories stored, through the molecules of emotions, mostly the neuropeptides and their receptors, at every level of the bodymind."

She explains and demonstrates how the brain, immune system, and endocrine system link and communicate with each other. For example, Neuropeptides cause chemical changes in the body that can improve or weaken the immune system. Stress and depression can suppress the activity of lymphocytes, the white blood cells that are the body's first line of defense against cancer and invading organisms. Diseases of the immune system include HIV/aids, cancer, allergies, arthritis, infections, the auto-immune disorders such as ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis, and many other conditions that are a consequence of either a under- or an over-active immune system. Cells in the immune system are responsive to all 90 neuropeptides, that are triggered by our thoughts and emotions. When people raise their self esteem, it has been shown that their immune systems get boosted as well.

Another example: according to Dr. Arien's article, "The specific feel-good peptide (e.g. serotonin), bind to its specific receptors on the cell membrane. This sends a ‘feel-good' message to the inside of the cell, right into the nucleus. The message influences every function the cell is responsible for. Now consider the fact that you constantly think of things others have done to harm you; resentful, angry thoughts and feelings that grow and increase to disproportionate levels every time you think it. The thoughts become emotions, then the neuropeptides that course through your body-mind, influencing cell function and efficacy. Do you think that any cell receiving these messages for 30 years, would still feel like functioning well enough for you to be optimally happy, alive and fully self-actualizing to become all you're meant to be?" Now THAT is food for thought! In the same way we can get addicted to drugs because we have receptors for these drugs we can become addicted to emotions; with molecules of emotions, like anger, worrying, or depression, we get addicted to the emotion and we act out the same patterns over and over again. There patterns block us from changing and force us to suffer with habitual behaviors that stagnate our growth.

Continues Dr. Arien: "Your cells feel the way you do! Your thoughts do create your reality! What you spend your time thinking about, becomes the facts of your life. That's why positive affirmations actually work – repeating simple, positive, powerful statements to yourself, changes the frequency of the vibrations around your own neuropeptides, allowing cells to function better, your mind to find solutions to reach your goals, and your whole body-mind system to function optimally. Changing your habitual thought patterns to one of positivity and love, such as ‘ I am calm in my body, in my mind and in my emotions', ‘I succeed', ‘I feel calmness flowing through me', ‘I love, accept and approve of myself just as I am', ‘I live my truth', ‘let go let God', or the Sanskrit mantra, ‘om gum gana patayei namaha' to remove energy blockages, will allow the electrons around the nucleus of your neuropeptides to send positive, feel-good vibrations of waves and particles throughout your body-mind being. These vibrations bind to your cell receptors and allow the message to go right into your physical and spiritual DNA, the genetic source of your being. . . Emotions like bitterness, unresolved anger, resentment, fear and worry constantly trigger your stress response. These then become buried in ever deepening layers inside the cell memories. The layers become the physical footprints of your dream body, psyche or soul, manifesting in physical illness or chronic health problems."

Concludes Dr. Arien: "Where are your thoughts? Anticipation, fear and worry are mostly in the future where you have no control. Unresolved anger, bitterness, resentment are in the past. You can only learn, grow and let go of the past. You can never change it. So why waste your precious life force energy there? These thoughts prevent you from being in the present, the NOW, which is all you have. Thoughts lead to emotions or feelings that often manifest as physical symptoms and habitual behavior."

In the Jindao Qigong healing system that I practice, during the Shaolin Pre-Birth Qigong method, the true source of pain or illness is revealed. This revelation awakens buried memories that serve as blockages within the body and mind. These blockages cause stagnation, which are expressed as pain and illness. Once the cell memories are wakened, they can reach the conscious mind, so that you can make contact with your whole, integrated human beingness, leading to the identification of the deep issues that might play a role in the disease process. Healing is fast and immediate at this point. Through this, pain or disease becomes a teacher potentially leading to important life lessons, personal and spiritual growth and healing from the inside out. Many people who have experienced Qigong energy healing from me can indeed attest to this very thing happening before their pains and illnesses were released for good.
    My Martial Arts articles archive:

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/index.htm

Shaolin Qigong / Neigong Healing & Self Defense Programs and Seminars:

http://www.jindaolife.com
    http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/index.html

Qigong Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/QigongProgram.htm
    Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm

while it is an interesting discussion of connections between thoughts / emotions and biochemical function (which is nothing all that revelatory, really - so-called 'western" medicine has been aware of this and utilizes this in many ways, just as much as any other system of medicine / healing, be it biological or metaphorical or some hybrid), there is nothing about what is written that provides "scientific proof" per se of anything; I am not saying that what these people are stating is untrue (in fact, a great deal of it makes perfect sense), nor am I disputing what you have observed with the people you have worked with (nothing all that unique, you see it occurring with a variety of so-called "alternative" approaches), but what is written here is an amalgam of standard physiological knowledge (peptides, neurotransmitters, basic cellular function, etc.) mixed in with aspects of highly subjective, metaphorical personal belief systems (psyche, soul, dream body, spiritual DNA etc.); a very interesting read, but not "scientific proof" by any standard;

Gheez, just used that title as a springboard to provide some discussion.

Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    Gheez, just used that title as a springboard to provide some discussion.
    well, so I'm discussing it...

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    A) The article does not discuss either the Placebo or Anti-Placebo effects. This is a grave ommission in an article that claims to prove that "our thoughts create our reality."

B) Vibrations do not "bind."

C) Looking for specifically Scientific counterparts to Eastern philosophies and practices is about as useful as trying to understand Microwaves from the perspective of Qi: not very useful at all.

Scientific research into Wholistic practices requires, at the very LEAST, an interdisciplinary approach. At best, Science is just one part of a larger, systems approach.

Going Gaga over Neuropeptides is about as useful to understanding and practice as Praising the Pineal gland... food for confusion more than functional thought.
    A) That boiling you are feeling in your brain is the microwaves......er Qi, the neuropeptides in my mind have created out of the reality my robotic rainbow mind imagines!

Now DIE already, would you please!

Gheez guys, he was just using the title as a springboard to provide some digressio...I mean, discussion...

Our thoughts

I do believe our thoughts control our destiny. There are other factors. If you walk in front of a moving train, very bad things are going to happen regardless of your thoughts.

Many people never change there social status in life because they believe they are stuck on their particular level. They believe other people are holding them down. Whether that is true or not, you'll never succeed at anything if you don't try because you don't feel it is of any use to try.

I've seen it in my own life. I start believing something and get a little taste for it, then before long it becomes reality. I don't know how many things in life I have experienced just because I asked. You have to feel like it is your place to ask or your right to be a part of something. Malcolm Gladwell talks about this to some extent in his book call Outliers.

I'm not a scientist, and I don't know anything about polypeptides, but I feel you have to envision something, then believe in it, before it can ever happen.
    Last edited by Chief_Suicide; 03-16-2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Has science been able to prove that we actually have thoughts? a conscience?
    I don't mean brain activity, but prove that we actually THINK at all?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Science cannot prove to anyone the taste of an orange or what love, joy, anger, etc. feel like. These are direct experiences that each person must have for their self in order to know them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

I just joined this forum and I found it odd that the first few threads I read revolved around scientific proof. Although I'm not opposed to research being conducted in order to help prove the effectiveness of Qigong, it should certainly not be the main focus point. There are centuries worth of empirical evidence from practitioners in China that Qigong can help improve and sustain life.

You need do no more than practice for a short period under a competent teacher to be able to feel Qi, and realize that there is something to this "art of cultivating energy". My original Qigong teacher, Master Binhui He, actually warned against an encyclopedic approach to Qigong, and he has conducted dozens of scientific experiments himself. I think his warning is due to the fact that if you are always looking externally for answers you are missing the entire point of Qigong. When you want to learn and understand more you need to do just the opposite. Look internally and practice more.

Jeff Simonton
    Discover the Fire - The Online Portal for Qigong, Tai Chi, and Mind-Body Studies

Quote Originally Posted by discoverthefire View Post
    I just joined this forum and I found it odd that the first few threads I read revolved around scientific proof. Although I'm not opposed to research being conducted in order to help prove the effectiveness of Qigong, it should certainly not be the main focus point. There are centuries worth of empirical evidence from practitioners in China that Qigong can help improve and sustain life.

You need do no more than practice for a short period under a competent teacher to be able to feel Qi, and realize that there is something to this "art of cultivating energy". My original Qigong teacher, Master Binhui He, actually warned against an encyclopedic approach to Qigong, and he has conducted dozens of scientific experiments himself. I think his warning is due to the fact that if you are always looking externally for answers you are missing the entire point of Qigong. When you want to learn and understand more you need to do just the opposite. Look internally and practice more.

Jeff Simonton
    Discover the Fire - The Online Portal for Qigong, Tai Chi, and Mind-Body Studies

I agree with you whole heartedly.

I can heal people with qigong of many illnesses and quickly too.
    I don't need to know why and how, I have their results to prove it to me.

I just joined this forum and I found it odd that the first few threads I read revolved around scientific proof.
    [QUOTE=discoverthefire;1088139]that's because many people on here with significant experience in qigong also have an interest in use of the rational mind as a balance to the intuitive one;

Although I'm not opposed to research being conducted in order to help prove the effectiveness of Qigong,
    well thank goodness for that!

it should certainly not be the main focus point.
    orly? says who? that's a pretty restrictive and judgemental perspective

There are centuries worth of empirical evidence from practitioners in China that Qigong can help improve and sustain life.
    appeal to antiquity fallacy; it doesn't mean anything; by that logic, just because something has been around for a long time that "proves" its effectiveness;

You need do no more than practice for a short period under a competent teacher to be able to feel Qi, and realize that there is something to this "art of cultivating energy".
    I agree; however, the "qi" that you are feeling can be completely explained in a relatively straight-forward manner based on a contemporary understanding of anatomy and physiology; without that knowledge previously, what was felt was described metaphorically, which is fine as well;

My original Qigong teacher, Master Binhui He, actually warned against an encyclopedic approach to Qigong,
    who cares? does he walk on water? why should others be bound by his bias?

and he has conducted dozens of scientific experiments himself.
    you are aware that pretty much all of the qigong studies coming out of PRC are basically sh1t from a methodological standpoint...do you have a reference / link to any of the studies he participated in?

I think his warning is due to the fact that if you are always looking externally for answers you are missing the entire point of Qigong.
    typical "spiritual materialist" condescension from so-called "internal" practitioners (so-called "external" is somehow inferior to what they do); that said, if you want to continue to promote the artificial distinction between "external" and "internal", that's your issue;

When you want to learn and understand more you need to do just the opposite. Look internally and practice more.
    there's nothing wrong with looking deeply inside; however, what one finds in this regard cannot necessarily be generalized: if one wants to talk about the validity of one's own "internal", subjective experience, that's fine and is of great value intrinsically; but if you want to talk about generalized efficacy of "qigong" (whatever that is, considering the HUGE variety of practices this encompasses), then one cannot use one's own personal experience as the primary litmus test for its application, and therefore one needs must utilize alternate methodologies (such as "scientific" research)

talking about looking internally, you may want to spend sometime re-examining your own apparently non-conscious bias and thinly veiled attitude of "I've got it all figured out about what's best" perspective...considering it's your first post on the forum, it's a pretty opinionated way to make an entrance; which is fine, of course, it's your right to post however you like; and certainly others here will agree with you; others, of course, won't...
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 04-06-2011 at 03:04 PM.

I can heal people with qigong of many illnesses and quickly too.
    Sal, with all due respect, this is a blanket statement that really needs to be appropriately qualified if you want to be taken seriously (probably you don't care either way, but whatever); point is this: what sort of "illnesses" re you "healing, what evidence do you use to assess your efficacy? do people come to you with medical diagnoses and tests that you use in a before / after assessment, or is it that they come with the sort of complaints that the docs don't know what to call / do with, etc., and after seeing you they feel better?
    consider what sort of patients come to you - the degree of pre-selfselection of your clinetel will heavilly bias the results you get; people come to you expecting to be healed by qigong; therefore, you have a powerful entrainment effect mixed in with the already innate capacity of the organism to drive itself towards autonomic balance / homeostasis when interracting in a "therapeutic" way with another individual; which is how the qigong, faith healers, reiki masters, polarity and any other "energy" healers" essentially achieve the healing effects they talk about - it's not what they are doing particularly, it's something intrinsic to have we are; as such there is a phennomenon of regression towards the mean, meaning that in many cases, doing just about anything will alleviate certain symptoms if they are mediated primarilly via the autonomics (which accounts for a lot of stuff, especially since many people are "sick" because they have been living in chronic sympathetic overdrive / chronic inflammatory response for years, and when you engage parasympathetics via the sort of phenomenon common to all energy healing, you get beneficial effects)

I don't need to know why and how, I have their results to prove it to me.
    this is, frankly, the typical attitude of an amateur practitioner; and I don't say this as an insult, it's just statement of fact; as an amateur, you have the luxury of essentially creating your own context for what you do
    what happens when what you do doesn't work? how do you rethink your strategy?
    there's no free lunch - if a technique has the power to help, it also has the power to harm - not understanding why what one does works, that's just irresponsible; what happens if your patient has a bad effect? as a professional w a license, I am held accountable if I am negligent - as such, my patient's have recourse if I do them harm due to my innapporpriate treatment - this is great, as it helps keep me on my toes, and gives them recourse in case I don't; who oversees you if you screw up? no one - and hence, you have the luxury of the above noted perspective;
    this is why as a professional you know about precautions and contraindications to certain things, and also when to refer out because someone has red flags you aren't trained to deal with
    as a professional, one is constantly working to understand more and more why what one does works, because it's the only way to use what one knows efficiently and responsibly;
    unfortunately, one can practice as an "energy healer" and basically get away with this sort of attitude, because the techniques" one uses "work" not in function of what you are doing, but because it is in the nature of the organism to respond to generalized input by driving towards homeostasis - meaning that you can very effectively influence autonomics to balance out simply by having the intention to do so, even if the patient is not pre-invested in what you are doing;
    it's a big world of "healing" out there Sal; from the sound of things, you've experienced only one little piece of it...

and I know that your default argument is that you healed yourself, that you saved your own life w your qigong practice, and that gives you the purview to say whatever you want without thinking you should be contradicted; make no mistake, I am not disputing this in any way - it is entirely possible that what you did had exactly the effect you believe it did; and that's awesome; but it has nothing to do with what happens when one starts treating others, especially if one is not trained specifically to do so; it's a different set of criteria when one claims to be having specific effects as a result of what one does, and having a "I don't care why it works, it just does" perspective is intellectually and ethically disingenuous;

funny, btw, how you don't need proof of anything, except that you start a thread highlighting how there is "scientific" proof for thoughts creating reality, etc.; so I guess that the "proof" is ok when it supports your perspective...
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 04-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.

I just joined this forum and I found it odd that the first few threads I read revolved around scientific proof
    This is not odd at all since YOU are the one who has chosen which threads YOU will read.

While science cannot prove a negative, it cannot prove Qigong does NOT exist, and certainly there are a large number of poorly designed scientific studies that believe they demonstrate something they do not, science is STILL the most effective measure by which rational people determine the difference between "snake oil" and truly effective therapeutic and training modalities.

Although I'm not opposed to research being conducted in order to help prove the effectiveness of Qigong, it should certainly not be the main focus point. There are centuries worth of empirical evidence from practitioners in China that Qigong can help improve and sustain life.
    Perhaps you mean there are centuries worth of anecdotal evidence from practitioners in China that Qigong can help improve and sustain life.

Regardless, many other things, that ARE NOT Qigong, improve and sustain life and these OTHER things have been scientifically established to do so.

Certainly anecdotal evidence is a form of evidence, but when practitioners have a vested interest in the success of their practice of choice, and absent themselves from critical study, their opinions may be safely considered biased and therefore of less value.

You need do no more than practice for a short period under a competent teacher to be able to feel Qi, and realize that there is something to this "art of cultivating energy".
    No you don't. It is rather easy to accomplish and a competent teacher is unnecessary!

My original Qigong teacher, Master Binhui He, actually warned against an encyclopedic approach to Qigong, and he has conducted dozens of scientific experiments himself. I think his warning is due to the fact that if you are always looking externally for answers you are missing the entire point of Qigong.
    If it cannot work absent ones subjective opinions about it, its efficacy is primarily based upon ones belief that it works, which means it isn't the Qigong that produces the results, but ones BELIEF that it works that produces the results.

Under these conditions, it isn't the Qigong that produces the beneficial effects, it is the mind. If it is the mind, then Qigong becomes unnecessary to practice.

Roughly one third of individuals respond to the placebo effect, this demonstrates the power of the mind to influence the efficacy of any particular practice.

My first Qigong teacher was an American Indian Medicine Man, who knew nothing of Chinese Qigong!

When you want to learn and understand more you need to do just the opposite. Look internally and practice more.
    I see.....when one wishes to learn and understand more, one needs to learn and understand less! Got it!

The knowing is in the not knowing, which is defined as NOT knowing! Who knew?
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 04-06-2011 at 05:35 PM.