Thread: Clash (Bay Rong)

Clash (Bay Rong)

I couldn't find a thread on this so I'm starting one now.

Bay Rong (Clash) Official HQ Trailer - NEW 2010 TRAILER

I enjoyed Nguyen's The Rebel.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This Sunday...

Part of the SFIAAFF.

Johnny Tri Nguyen finds movie stardom in Vietnam
    G. Allen Johnson, Chronicle Staff Writer
    San Francisco Chronicle March 6, 2011 04:00 AM

Johnny Tri Nguyen, who went to school in Los Angeles, has become a movie star in Vietnam. The former stuntman has starred in the two highest-grossing films in the country's history.

It's kind of a ****ation of Hollywood that there's no prominent place for Johnny Tri Nguyen. He was Spider-Man, after all, plus he spent most of his formative years in Los Angeles.

The Vietnamese immigrant even won a gold medal representing the United States with his martial arts prowess in the 1998 Pan Am Games.

But then again, what's the big deal? You see Nguyen in nonstop action in his current film "Clash," which plays next Sunday at the San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival and opens March 18 in San Jose, and Netflix his previous hit, "The Rebel," and you'll agree he's where he needs to be: Vietnam.

"I did find limited opportunity in Hollywood in terms of the roles that are available," Nguyen said via Skype from India, where he's working in a Bollywood action film. "It's more difficult to get meaningful roles. There's a lot of Asian actors out there, but the roles aren't challenging."

Nguyen isn't just your typical kick-ass action star. He's worked his way up in the film industry, starting as a production assistant in small American films in the 1990s and working his way up as a stuntman, a cinematographer and now as a screenwriter, producer and actor.

He was Tobey Maguire's stunt double in "Spider-Man 2," and was a villain in the Thai actioner "The Protector."

"The Rebel" (2007) is the highest-grossing film in Vietnamese history. The second is "Clash," from 2009. Nguyen is the martial arts hero, screenwriter and co-producer in both, and his real-life love, Thanh Van Ngo, is the female star of both films (they're Vietnam's version of Brangelina).

Nguyen visited Vietnam with a purpose when he was filming "The Protector" in Thailand. His uncle, actor Chanh Tin Nguyen, helped get him in the door in Hanoi.

"I just took the opportunity to go back to Vietnam because it's only an hour flight, and I go back and see how it is, and I thought I could make a movie there."

One reason is he learned many styles of filmmaking and kung fu. "I learned all I needed to know about wire works in the 'Spider-Man' movies. I learned about working with explosives in war films ("We Were Soldiers"). I went to Thailand to see how they did the action scenes over there. In a way, if I go back to Hollywood now, I can apply some of what I learned.

"In Hollywood we're very light when we hit each other - barely touching each other. But on 'The Protector' we wear pads, and kick each other pretty hard, almost full power. That impact shows onscreen."

Nguyen is quick to point out he's not aching to get back to Hollywood. He's enjoying his celebrity in Asia and is a box-office force.

"I don't really have a big problem living up to that at all," Nguyen said. "Everything's going pretty well for me. I don't have a long-term plan. I'm more like, whatever comes, comes."

Clash screens at 6:30 p.m. next Sun. at the Castro Theatre, 429 Castro St., San Francisco. www.caamedia.org. Stars Johnny Tri Nguyen and Thanh Van Ngo will attend. The film opens in San Jose on March 18.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Win CLASH on DVD!

Enter to win a CLASH on DVD! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 08/25/2011. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Belated review

Johnny Tri Nguyen is championing Vietnamese fight flicks now. But this one is all about Veronica Ngo Thanh Van, who co-starred in Rebel and steals the show in Clash. Here, she's the newest femme fatale. A beauty queen pop singer in 'nam, she brings more to the table than Jeeja. Jeeja may have mastered Meyrairuth, but Veronica can tango in a slinky red dress and stiletto heels. Backed with Nguyen's balletic fight choreography, which is ramped up with some ground fighting with flair now, it's a winning combo.

Clash alternates between 'nam urban hip hop sensibilities to a director that's seen way too many John Woo flicks. The 'nam stuff is solid, a crumbling peek into Saigon ghettos and rap seems to suit Vietnamese alright. The melodrama, complete with gratuitous slo-mo and Italian opera, works for a spell, then gets over played, especially with the death scene flashbacks. Why do death scenes have obligatory flashbacks all the time now? Just die already. If the audience cares about the character, we don't need the flashback. The plot? Recover the laptop. That's all you really need to know.

The first half is great and had me spellbound thinking it was all about Veronica, she's the new fight film queen, gorgeous eyes, long and agile, quick accurate kicks, and can totally rock tough chick mode. The film BEGINS WITH A SWORD FIGHT, a machete fight even! The fights are all excellent. Nguyen has some great moves, some even worthy of rewinding and replaying. There's way to much crappy gun fu - how can you miss a motorcycle crossing a field with a machine gun, or some one you've drawn a bead on just a few feet away? The second half doesn't keep up the fight pace with the start, and opts to squeeze in a little too much melodrama, although the fight finale is worth the wait.

Ultimately, I'm down with Nguyen and Van - they are bringing Vovinam out with style and flair.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I liked The Rebel quite a bit more that Clash. To be honest, I was fairly disappointed. I could see they were trying some new things in the action, but there were way too many moves repeated in exactly the same way. I guess Clash just didn't do it for me.

Anyway, I'll look forward to what Johnny Tri Nguyen and Veronica Ngo will bring to the table next.

i actually really liked this movie. i think the main reason why is all the integrated ground fighting. most of all the fights ended up in grappling. i liked that a lot.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i actually really liked this movie. i think the main reason why is all the integrated ground fighting. most of all the fights ended up in grappling. i liked that a lot.
    ^ you're ghey

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    ^ you're ghey
    LOL!!! hmmm..must think of witty comeback....hmm:

TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

My latest review

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips