Thread: Jon Stewart Show Sort of Annoyed Me

Jon Stewart Show Sort of Annoyed Me

So, I was listening out of the corner of my ear last night while doing some work, and I overheard a guest on the John Stewart show making some outlandish statements about Afghanistan.

The first misleading statement she made was saying that we are paying the Taliban. Now, this is true, simply because of the fact that we are trying to put Afghan jobs in Afghan hands. People forget that the TB is not like AQ. The TB LIVES in Afghanistan. That's their home, so invariably, any money put into Afghan jobs will make it into TB hands somehow. And people also use the word TB like every one of them is a crazed insurgent trying to kill us. There is a HUGE moderate TB population who are not willing to fight us, and only want to live their way on their land. We are just now getting them to see things from our point of view, and statements like that could derail that progress.

The second one was where she said that contractors made up to four times more than soldiers for doing the exact same thing. Not true at all. Contractors down there are doing specialized tasks we cannot do ourselves, either due to lack of expertise, or lack of manpower. You try getting a Private to manage a network down there. Additionally, soldiers HAVE to deploy. You cannot make a contractor deploy, and if you think you'll get a professional down into a war zone for the same salary as a Private, you must've lost your mind.

Rant complete.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    The second one was where she said that contractors made up to four times more than soldiers for doing the exact same thing. Not true at all. Contractors down there are doing specialized tasks we cannot do ourselves, either due to lack of expertise, or lack of manpower. You try getting a Private to manage a network down there. Additionally, soldiers HAVE to deploy. You cannot make a contractor deploy, and if you think you'll get a professional down into a war zone for the same salary as a Private, you must've lost your mind.
    Many of those contractors are private Xe (Blackwater) security who are not just doing "network" duties.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Jon Stewart is a propagandist as well. I thought that much was clear by now? lol
    His show is decidely based firmly in left wing thought and those are the ideas that are promoted most openly on the show.

The humour aspect is a tool of sending a political message.

the show is funny quite often. It's guests are more often than not inclined towards the left field of political thought.

The only exceptions are when he has mil brass on and then it is remarkably unpolitical. Otherwise, Jon Stewart is a propaganda vehicle, he's just driving down the other side of the road.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Many of those contractors are private Xe (Blackwater) security who are not just doing "network" duties.
    Funny. Last I heard, Xe was persona non grata in theater. Secondly, the network comment was just an example, not the holy grail of what contractors do down there.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Jon Stewart is a propagandist as well. I thought that much was clear by now? lol
    His show is decidely based firmly in left wing thought and those are the ideas that are promoted most openly on the show.

The humour aspect is a tool of sending a political message.

the show is funny quite often. It's guests are more often than not inclined towards the left field of political thought.

The only exceptions are when he has mil brass on and then it is remarkably unpolitical. Otherwise, Jon Stewart is a propaganda vehicle, he's just driving down the other side of the road.
    i always saw him as more of a fake pundit, like colbert... his agenda is clear tho... but its not like he ever claimed to be anything other than comedy... even if he does get serious every now and then...

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Funny. Last I heard, Xe was persona non grata in theater. Secondly, the network comment was just an example, not the holy grail of what contractors do down there.
    in afghanistan? they are in iraq tho, are they not??? why are they persona non grata in afghanistan?